Ball Joints - OEM or aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my 2019, I know I had a little play on the driver side, but at the time didn't warrant to replace them till spring (was the plan). I have been getting a thunking noise lately, and the off-road shop I brought it to, after a full day of troubleshooting are saying the noise is coming from the ball joints. They will change them, they mentioned just going with MOOG, but said they would install other's if I supplied them. Looking at the Carli Joints, just debating whether the price warrants this. lol - yes it probably does, but the OEM lasted 65k miles, 20k of which where 37s, so I can't complain with that. Largest question, which I can never get a good answer from myself, comes down to how long I plan on keeping the truck - lol.

- Curious who has changed joints keep OEM, or went with aftermarket?
- Other brands to consider? Dynatrac, Synergy, EMF, etc

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i wouldnt go cheap. Carli, Thuren, synergy, or EMF. few other brands out there. This is a know issue for Ram trucks.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the Carli's. The OEM's lasted about 1000 miles after moving to 40's. The Carli's have a been trouble free for 20,000 miles and counting and have a lifetime warranty.

0jnye9y.jpg

That said, I probably use my truck in more punishing environments far more often than the normal owner. Only you can answer the value equation here for your intended length of ownership and usage style.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I used Moog parts on a one ton Ford with great success after about 140 k miles. All new components had grease fittings. For the first 600-800 miles the steering was stiff and did not return normally.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Had Carli on a previously owned truck.Put well over 100k miles on them without any problems before trading for my current PW
Installed Dynatrac bjs on this one at 60k and have 175k on it now without any issues
Carli are more expensive with a better warranty
Dynatrac are less expensive but rebuildable
EMF are well liked by people I know that have them but I have no personal experience with them

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I tried Moog on my old '05 CTD, and the truck never tracked right. They were sorta rough/draggy feeling. If you don't pony up for Carli, etc., then I'd stay OEM. My $0.02.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr