Ballpark Cost to Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys,

I'm considering ARH long tube headers and MAYYYBE a 6.4 intake manifold later this year and I'm curious what guys have spent on tuning. HP seems to be consensus from what I've read. Not looking to gain the absolute most power possible, just take advantage of the headers and be safe. (Goal for headers is to eliminate bolt snap and gain a bit of power/torque for when I tow my camper). Are other tuners a better value?

I know it varies by who you get to tune your truck, just looking for ballpark of what people have spent including cost of hardware. HP OBD2 device $399 and credits $49 (how many do I need) then cost to tune - $200? $500? $1,000?

I've spent from $200 on an analog BIPES dipswitch fuel and ignition tuner tuning it myself (Miata) to well over $2k in the past on tuning using full AEM standalone (S2000), so just curious.

Thank in advance!

James

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://frptuning.com/ is who I will be switching to when I do a cam because he has the cam I want. I am currently tuned by hemi fever who uses Diablo primarily. There are a few others. If you are on Facebook look up high performance rams. Great page to find info. I have no problems with hemi fever. It’s the same tuner Matt with moes performance uses and he’s in the fastest trucks. It’s really preference. 2015 and newer trucks require an unlocked pcm to be able to tune. Sometimes you can find a used pcm and send it out for unlock to save yours. That’s what I did. Makes it cheaper so you aren’t just buying an extra pcm. Works for both hp tuners and Diablo but depending on which you pick is who you’ll send it to. Research tuners and pick one then talk with them about your tuning options.

OP
OP
Black1500Ram

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://frptuning.com/ is who I will be switching to when I do a cam because he has the cam I want. I am currently tuned by hemi fever who uses Diablo primarily. There are a few others. If you are on Facebook look up high performance rams. Great page to find info. I have no problems with hemi fever. It’s the same tuner Matt with moes performance uses and he’s in the fastest trucks. It’s really preference. 2015 and newer trucks require an unlocked pcm to be able to tune. Sometimes you can find a used pcm and send it out for unlock to save yours. That’s what I did. Makes it cheaper so you aren’t just buying an extra pcm. Works for both hp tuners and Diablo but depending on which you pick is who you’ll send it to. Research tuners and pick one then talk with them about your tuning options.
Hey!

I was just reading through you 6.4 intake swap thread earlier today. thanks for the reply.

What's the con to just sending out my pcm for unlocking? I know my truck will be out of commission during that that time but that's not really an issue for me as we have 2 vehicles.

Thanks,

James

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey!

I was just reading through you 6.4 intake swap thread earlier today. thanks for the reply.

What's the con to just sending out my pcm for unlocking? I know my truck will be out of commission during that that time but that's not really an issue for me as we have 2 vehicles.

Thanks,

James
If you can send yours out then that is great and saves you money. I had to buy a 2nd due to not being able to take my truck off the road for more than a couple days at a time at that point. I still have my stock and when I switch to hp tuners I plan on sending my stock one out and selling the extra one I have for Diablo. Diablo will flash the new vin to an unlocked one for 100$ I can sell my handheld i3 with it as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Matt didn't use Sean/Hemifever nor does Rick Spillman to tune their personally owned fast trucks Khris.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Matt didn't use Sean/Hemifever nor does Rick Spillman to tune their personally owned fast trucks Khris.
i thought Matt claimed his last truck was tuned by HF? I wasn’t sure who he used for the trx. I knew Rick didn’t use HF

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i thought Matt claimed his last truck was tuned by HF? I wasn’t sure who he used for the trx. I knew Rick didn’t use HF
When he had the whipple 422 in his silver truck,he didn't use Sean to tune it.That engine and transmission are now in Rick Spillmans truck.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
$1,777.44, I'm in the process of having it done. This includes everything to do a remote tune on my built 5.7 & 8HP70 Trans. You can get it done much cheaper, but after allot of research, I felt more comfortable that this was the best route for me.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Headers will add a lot of underhood heat when towing.
I can’t see mine being much more than stock. I do have mine ceramic coated but that’s not as beneficial as wrapping. If/when I do a cam and I pull my heads off I’ll end up pulling my long tubes and wrapping them as well. My IAT did not go up with my long tubes. I never checked under hood temps to begin with but I’m also only running a 190° tstat which helps as well.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had headers on my 5.9 dakota and went back to manifolds due to the heat - they were ceramic and wrapped in places due to melting things lol

I was towing 5-6k @ 70+ mph for hours on end.

Maybe the Ram has more breathing room under the hood.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im
I had headers on my 5.9 dakota and went back to manifolds due to the heat - they were ceramic and wrapped in places due to melting things lol

I was towing 5-6k @ 70+ mph for hours on end.

Maybe the Ram has more breathing room under the hood.
I’m looking at the frp scud plus cam as it has a bit of overlap. In hopes that will bring exhaust temps down a pinch too. One can hope. Lol. Plus it should sound really nice being a small vvt cam with my setup.