Base Dyno pull, 311.6hp @5500, Mx Tq 324.4 @ 4550 . Honest opinion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So here is my first Dyno Run to see my horsepower on my 2017 Ram 5.7L

Current mods are VeraRam Air grabber cai, BFC wrapped shorty's, aftermarket cat back from single to dual exhaust, 90 mm throttle body.

311.6 horsepower at 5,500 RPM and maximum torque 324.4 at 4,550 .

My future mod is a Texas Speed stage 2 cam with a custom grind by flying Ryan performance and a tune also by flying Ryan performance.

I'll be running a second Dyno to see my gains. Let me get your thoughts and feedback.

Attachments

• 20220909_133341.jpg
    20220909_133341.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 24

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want real gains swap those shorties for long tubes. Get rid of the 90mm throttle body to get some money back, install a 6.4 intake manifold and a ported throttle body. The 90mm is not actually gaining you any power. The 6.4/392 making 485hp uses the same throttle body as the 5.7. A ported throttle will help in the top end a bit. Long tubes will open your whole power band up better plus getting rid of the factory y pipe is a huge plus. Also depending on the cam you will need to look into a higher stall torque converter. Also if you are not currently tuned none of your mods made a difference so tuning will be a pretty good gain anyways before adding in a cam

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...so that's with the stock cam and heads?

Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...so that's with the stock cam and heads?

Thanks
A stock engine makes anywhere from 290-320 rwhp on a dyno so those numbers are not surprising based on the research I’ve found. For a basically stock engine that is untuned that is. Shorties are not a power gain. The CAI does not gain power either. The larger throttle body doesn’t add power either. The catback is only beneficial if the headers and y pipe are opened up. The stock y pipe is a hinderance to most any intake side performance parts because if the exhaust can’t flow better than the intake than it can’t draw any extra air in.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Fastest Ram in Canada had a stock TB :cool: But he did have Nitrous lol...

Pretty much the same , 6.4 intake and LTs

Its an addiction, Im pulling that 5.7 and doing a 6.4 swap because camming a 5.7 isnt enough lol...

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A stock engine makes anywhere from 290-320 rwhp on a dyno so those numbers are not surprising based on the research I’ve found. For a basically stock engine that is untuned that is. Shorties are not a power gain. The CAI does not gain power either. The larger throttle body doesn’t add power either. The catback is only beneficial if the headers and y pipe are opened up. The stock y pipe is a hinderance to most any intake side performance parts because if the exhaust can’t flow better than the intake than it can’t draw any extra air in.
^^^^THIS^^^^^

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I did 360hp and 390tq with vararam, 1 7/8 longtubes, efan swap, hemifever tune. If that helps with where you wanna go. That dyno pull was at like sea level too.

Attachments

• 10B67909-80C6-4128-A9AE-BAF26CF1F40A.png
    10B67909-80C6-4128-A9AE-BAF26CF1F40A.png
    561.1 KB · Views: 18

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did 360hp and 390tq with vararam, 1 7/8 longtubes, efan swap, hemifever tune. If that helps with where you wanna go. That dyno pull was at like sea level too.
I always figured I was around 350-375 rwhp with my setup. I just want 400-425 rwhp as my end goal for this truck. Went out to pick up pizza tonight for dinner and an f150 was playing with me. So we pulled up at a light and it turned green. I rolled into the throttle so I didn’t spin and when it shifted to second it cut power because it ended spinning my tires really bad. Still pulled on him pretty good. Lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Its an addiction, Im pulling that 5.7 and doing a 6.4 swap because camming a 5.7 isnt enough lol...
Don’t bring my hopes down on camming the 5.7. Lol. I need it to be enough. At least a few years. May try to find a junkyard 6.4 and keep it in the shed if I can find a good salvage engine

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dang how are you guys doing it?! Do you all have 8 spd and 2WD?
Mine topped out at 322 WHP. That's with an AFE CAI, comp cams 216/222 cam, MDS delete, 1 3/4" LT headers, 16" magnaflow, and dyno tune. I have the 65rfe and it's 4x4. The cam added 62 WHP.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang how are you guys doing it?! Do you all have 8 spd and 2WD?
Mine topped out at 322 WHP. That's with an AFE CAI, comp cams 216/222 cam, MDS delete, 1 3/4" LT headers, 16" magnaflow, and dyno tune. I have the 65rfe and it's 4x4. The cam added 62 WHP.
8 speed is a lot better trans. Less parasitic loss. Plus rear gearing and tire size play a big role in actual rwhp. And different dynos read different. I’ve heard of 5/6 speed trucks making 260rwhp because the trans. That’s why the 8 speed swap is such a big deal currently. Plus how strong the 8 speed is.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
8 speed is a lot better trans. Less parasitic loss. Plus rear gearing and tire size play a big role in actual rwhp. And different dynos read different. I’ve heard of 5/6 speed trucks making 260rwhp because the trans. That’s why the 8 speed swap is such a big deal currently. Plus how strong the 8 speed is.
Yep, mine was right at 260 with headers only, before rebuild. I forget about gearing sometimes lol, mines 3.55. I'd love to do the 8 spd swap, not in the budget now but I've been bit by the speed bug after 1 day at the track!
Still seems crazy to lose like 135hp from engine to wheels.
4x4 eats up a lot too, of course.

@dirtyUPSman what gears do you have? 4x4 or 2wd? I assume 8 spd lucky you lol. I'm definitely interested to see gains with cam and tune.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want real gains swap those shorties for long tubes. Get rid of the 90mm throttle body to get some money back, install a 6.4 intake manifold and a ported throttle body. The 90mm is not actually gaining you any power. The 6.4/392 making 485hp uses the same throttle body as the 5.7. A ported throttle will help in the top end a bit. Long tubes will open your whole power band up better plus getting rid of the factory y pipe is a huge plus. Also depending on the cam you will need to look into a higher stall torque converter. Also if you are not currently tuned none of your mods made a difference so tuning will be a pretty good gain anyways before adding in a cam
I did consider long tubes. Trust me I really wanted a pair. However, a few factors made me go w shorties. I wont go catless. Failed a emission test once because of that. So after that I keep it legal. Yes I had to consider the cost of a new cat system and compared to a cat back dual exhaust from single, I had to go with that. Expendable funds. Yea, I'd like to get rid of that Y. Need to find a cheap muffler shop and have a plan. Lol

I also did consider goin with the 6.4 intake, something i know i can do myself.
However, I had already made up my mind and got the Vararam AirGrabber. Very cool old school look, makes me smile every time i open the hood. Small as they my be, definitely some gains.

Anyways, where the throttle body mounts on the 6.4, it doesn't match the Vararam set up. Sadly.
I was a bit aggressive w the 90mm but the response is quite noticeable, still might keep it on for now.
I was goin to wait on getting a torque converter as again funds were a factor, but i noticed that updating my tune wld be additional cost after a torque converter install.

I waiting on a 3600 stall from Moe's.
Damn, the wait feels like forever, lol.

So that was why i scrabbled around to find a Dyno that wld take my truck. Many places said they couldn't fit me.

I wanted to see what gains I wld make w the cam and tune.
My mods are minimal so I'm pretty much stock.

I thought I'd show my progress as my build goes.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I WISH my truck had the 6.4 !
Cuz, yes i know camming the 5.7 wont be enough for me. Lol
But I know I'll absolutely love my build.

OP
OP
dirtyUPSman

dirtyUPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank for your help with the input. I want to do the cluch fan delete, and efan swap. I also have a 180° therm in hand just need to swap it out at work.
How much did u pay for the fan, got a link?