Battery cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hardracer

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting,never thought about though.
Personally I'm for the look..but ya,never thought about it.
I would lean towards something to do with keepin the heat out being the materials there made of.
I do believe heat is a killer of batteries.
I sure the engineers put it in there for a reason and I bet it wasnt to throw money away....lol

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I recently replaced the battery in my 19' 5.7 and upgraded/upsized to the H8 AGM Interstate. I purchased a new OEM batter terminal cover (positive post) and a new OEM battery insulation cover as well.

This new one has cut outs for the positive and negative terminal posts, whereas my original one for the H7 stock battery only covered around the battery but was open on top.
Do you have pics of this installed on your H8 battery? I got the same upsized battery but don't have a cover on it. Since the oem one doesn't fit now. I didnt think they made one that fit. I have a 2016 5.7

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Battery blankets do work in a way that keeps the car Lead-Acid battery warm, not allowing it to discharge because of a very low temperatures. They are practically thermal insulators.
There are basically two main types of blankets, regular without heating abilities and with heating abilities.

Battery blankets with heating core must be powered through power outlet, and it needs electricity in order to keep your battery warm.

plug in type electric blanket

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never seen a use for them other than to act as a sponge for dirt collection.

I took mine off a few days after I bought the truck and threw it away.

I read that the main purpose of them was to contain acid spray in case of catastrophic battery failure, which I have not personally seen happen.

I run an oversized (H8) Odyssey battery now so it wouldn't fit anyway.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Personally I have never seen a use for them other than to act as a sponge for dirt collection.

I took mine off a few days after I bought the truck and threw it away.

I run an oversized (H8) Odyssey battery now so it wouldn't fit anyway.
Do you have AAA in the great norht?

Cold weather causes car batteries to die for several reasons: Reduced capacity: At 32 degrees, battery capacity drops by 20 percent. At -22 degrees, capacity drop by 50 percent. This capacity reduction lowers the battery's power output, impeding its ability to start the car.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^The non-heated OEM battery cover does nothing to keep your battery warm.

If you want to keep it warm you need one capable of generating its own heat (plug in). We call them battery blankets up here but I have never used one.

I have found if you have a good properly working battery and you plug the vehicle block heater in when it is really cold that a battery blanket is not necessary.

I am sure they have their uses in places that get even colder than Calgary does in the winter like Alaska or the Yukon.

Now I have a heated garage so my truck stays warm all night.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have AAA in the great norht?

Cold weather causes car batteries to die for several reasons: Reduced capacity: At 32 degrees, battery capacity drops by 20 percent. At -22 degrees, capacity drop by 50 percent. This capacity reduction lowers the battery's power output, impeding its ability to start the car.

LOL, yes. We have AAA and other like services and lots of cold weather experience with trucks and ice fishing. :cool:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only time it would really insulate enough to possibly help out a battery (in extreme cold) would be if the battery was almost dead anyway. If you have a weak battery the cold will for-sure reveal it. Once the vehicle is outside for a fairly short time ..with all the breeze under the hood, the battery will cool down eventually. Esp if ya part outside at work (which most people do). If it was this time a year (March), and the temps about to get warm, a guy could probably make it all summer till next Dec. ...but then maybe not. Most of my vehicles never see the garage and if your battery is good and charged is where it should be, you don't need a blanket in the winter. But I'm glad Ram installed one. Shows attention to detail.

From what I can tell, the 2022 Tundra comes with a cover, but the Tacoma doesn't. GM's do
(???)

114percy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright fellas,I'm gonna ask for all your expertise..coz I can't find anything past what I've ordered and it was wrong...apparently just a wrap around crap cover I recieved..don't want that.
Anyone know where I can get the full battery cover(like in te pic if I do it right)..2010 model so full battery cover with velcro lid..dunno bout you newer guys stuff ii it's the same.
I ordered what showed that but received a superceded version I guess u call it....which is just a wrap around no lid.
This dip sh$# from wherever it was(Texas dealer think)..would not refund my money no matter how bad I ******* about it being false advertising in the listing on there site...said my Vin was correct and that's what ordered..needless to say I'm prolly banned from ever ordering from them again..lol
If I could remember their name I would share it...been bout 9-12 months(I guess)and I'm checking the fluids for a trip and got reminded of this.
Please share if u can,or any ideas on what I could get.
Thanks guys
This past year my 2018 Ram Laramie (23000 miles) battery cover along with all the insulation on the engine compartment fire wall has been eaten by some animal. The battery cover is the least of my concerns. I have just bought a trail camera and ultra sonic devise to scare the ******** away, not installed yet, I would replace all the insulation, but afraid the pests will come back next year, so to the OP writer, i would not be worried not having a battery cover.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From what I've read it's mostly for bedding & feeding stray mice.
:D

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put some glue-boards up in the area to catch critters. Maybe 'tape' the glue boards to the inner fender so they don't blow around as ya drive. They work. Good luck!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dang...why didnt i think to do a google search.
Reason I posted here was if anyone had a better idea to find an old part.it was one of those mopar sites also.
Seriously,i did all that....ordered what i said, recieved something different...look and you tell me....part numbers appear to be the same for different items....makes no sense to me....unless I'm missing something and dont understand...please school me.
First of all, I don't think you were on a actual mother Mopar site, so the part number accuracy can be suspect.

Additionally, factory part numbers change even if to identify the vendor, yet the obvious difference is not recognized by a part number difference, in this case a suffix roll.

This is probably a retailer error.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85556 miles

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Do you have pics of this installed on your H8 battery? I got the same upsized battery but don't have a cover on it. Since the oem one doesn't fit now. I didnt think they made one that fit. I have a 2016 5.7
Excuse the delay.
I had to notch out the new positive post battery cover so it would fit on snugly and stay in place (as I did with the original one, too).
Slipped right over the new H8 battery and tucked in snugly on all sides.

Attachments

• 20230326_162249.jpg
    20230326_162249.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230326_162252.jpg
    20230326_162252.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230326_162258.jpg
    20230326_162258.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230326_162304.jpg
    20230326_162304.jpg