Battery Dead at 12,500 miles 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Tradesmen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seand2190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and am happy to be a part of it. I have a 2020 1500 Tradesmen Classic with 12,500 miles. The battery is already dead. I had it charging for about 3 hrs at 40 amps, it started fine with no problems for the rest of the day. I even let it run for about another hour just to be safe. I came out this morning and it was dead, my meter showed 10.39 Volts. Is this common? If there is some sort of parasitic drain does anyone know of typical sources? Thanks.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and am happy to be a part of it. I have a 2020 1500 Tradesmen Classic with 12,500 miles. The battery is already dead. I had it charging for about 3 hrs at 40 amps, it started fine with no problems for the rest of the day. I even let it run for about another hour just to be safe. I came out this morning and it was dead, my meter showed 10.39 Volts. Is this common? If there is some sort of parasitic drain does anyone know of typical sources? Thanks.

Have the battery replaced under warranty, and have the dealer determine why the battery failed. You may just have a defective battery.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the above ........ you are still under warranty let the dealer deal with the problem

oh!.....and WELCOME TO THE FOURM!!!!

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had to have my battery and alternator replaced under warranty under 9000 mile and 11 months old. Had to be jumped 3 days in a row. Took a day and a half to get replaced because they needed to run the battery on a gr8 machine and apparently it can take that long to show battery and/or alternator is bad. Ram won‘t re-emburse warranty without the printout

OP
OP
Seand2190

Seand2190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I had the dealer install a new battery. Just for my own curiosity I tested it again, 12.8 volts when off and 13.8 when running. It's my first new vehicle, most of the ones I've owned beforehand were from the 70s-90s so it's a whole new world for me.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had mine replaced under warranty @ 31000 miles

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I had the dealer install a new battery. Just for my own curiosity I tested it again, 12.8 volts when off and 13.8 when running. It's my first new vehicle, most of the ones I've owned beforehand were from the 70s-90s so it's a whole new world for me.

I’ve owned and driven motor vehicles for 50+ years, and replaced many batteries.

My first job at age 15 was working in a “filling station” - and we sold and installed dry cell batteries for cars that we had to fill with sulphuric acid to activate them.

Batteries today seem to die suddenly. Years ago, you could tell when a battery was beginning to fail - no longer. Hot weather seems to kill a battery quicker than cold weather.

Several weeks ago, the ACDelco battery in my wife’s car failed suddenly. She drove to the store, parked it - and when she returned to start the car, the battery was dead. It was replaced under warranty.

Good luck - I’m glad you got the matter resolved.