Battery drain mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riderone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am having a problem with my battery draining down when the truck (2016 1500) sits unused for 2 or 3 days. The truck turns over slowly like the battery is low. After running it the turn over is normal. Same if I start it daily. I thought maybe I was due for a new battery so I went to Advance and had them test it. They said it tested out just fine. I have not added anything to the truck and have no electrical mods on it. Just started doing this in the past few months. Any ideas on what to check? I do have the air suspension but do not hear it running when the truck is off. Thanks!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check for parasitic draw. I'd want to see 50mA or less, but there would be a spec in the factory service manual. My 08 Grand specified 80 or less was acceptable.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust the red shirts at the auto store to know much more than what they're taught in training.
If your battery is the original at 5 years old it's probably going south & losing it's CCA capacity.

Swamprnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just replaced the battery in my 2017 for the same problem. Started turning over slow and remote start stopped working. Turned out the battery had a bad cell

OP
OP
Riderone

Riderone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't trust the red shirts at the auto store to know much more than what they're taught in training.
If your battery is the original at 5 years old it's probably going south & losing it's CCA capacity.

That's what I was thinking. It is original so I figured it was due for replacement. I am going to stop by another place and have it checked there.

OP
OP
Riderone

Riderone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replaced the battery in my 2017 for the same problem. Started turning over slow and remote start stopped working. Turned out the battery had a bad cell

Does a bad cell show up when they test it?

Tim C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This could be a long shot, but I had two issues at different times that had similar symptoms as you.

the first was a faulty key fob. For some reason it would keep triggering the lock function, which flashes the lights and locks the doors. This would happen every couple of minutes. My truck would sit for a week or two without being driven. On night my daughter came home late in the night and noticed the lights coming on.

the second issue was with my TIPM. It had a corroded connection. Leading up to the final end of it (truck would turn over but not start) I would come out to find my windows open, other times the remote start wouldn’t work, occasionally hard to start. I’m not %100 sure this was causing the battery issue, but once replaced I didn’t have the battery issue.

just a couple more options to think about. The battery draw may not be a constant, it could be sporadic, making diagnosis a little more challenging.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
That's what I was thinking. It is original so I figured it was due for replacement. I am going to stop by another place and have it checked there.

It's most likely due to be replaced. If you have Auto Club they will come out and test it for free. Then if you want to purchase a battery from them they'll have them on the truck a very reasonable prices.

shmedley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 is like this. No major off amp draw on mine. If the truck sits 2 days it needs a jump.
It is now on it's 3rd battery and thinking it might get it's 4th soon. The 2 OEM ones both had bad cells

OP
OP
Riderone

Riderone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 is like this. No major off amp draw on mine. If the truck sits 2 days it needs a jump.
It is now on it's 3rd battery and thinking it might get it's 4th soon. The 2 OEM ones both had bad cells

Geeze I guess I am fortunate that this one has lasted this long.

Virgil2U

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2/318
Does anyone know how to check for the "parasitic draw" on the battery? I have had the same problem with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT, I have a new battery and it was charged up and tested well and also I had the charging system checked and it is charging over 14 volts so that is good. But when I let it sit for a few hours I need to jump it to get it started. I had at first thought perhaps it was the dang cargo light that was turned on by accident but I turned that dial all the way down so it is not the problem. I have looked extensively on the net on how to look but Google has updated their system and now most searches go nowhere.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Does anyone know how to check for the "parasitic draw" on the battery? I have had the same problem with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT, I have a new battery and it was charged up and tested well and also I had the charging system checked and it is charging over 14 volts so that is good. But when I let it sit for a few hours I need to jump it to get it started. I had at first thought perhaps it was the dang cargo light that was turned on by accident but I turned that dial all the way down so it is not the problem. I have looked extensively on the net on how to look but Google has updated their system and now most searches go nowhere.
There are Videos on You Tube I'm sure

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque

Which Parasitic Draw Test Method is REALLY the Best? - YouTube

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is a possibility that it stored a code
Stop by a auto parts store & ask them if they would connect up their code scan tool

I don't know if your truck has a OBD2 plug
It may be to old

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I used to have people disconnect their positive cable from battery if vehicle was sitting for a couple days. If reconnect and vehicle did not start replace the battery before doing more tests. Didn't solve a draw, but at least some knowledge was gained.

OP
OP
Riderone

Riderone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to have people disconnect their positive cable from battery if vehicle was sitting for a couple days. If reconnect and vehicle did not start replace the battery before doing more tests. Didn't solve a draw, but at least some knowledge was gained.

Now that is the simple kind of test that I like. Eliminates a bad battery before doing all the other tests. My problem ended up being a bad battery.

SR -owner_RAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same kind of issue with my 2018 RAM Big Horn. It's at the dealer's now for the 4th time. It starts one day and then will not the next (click-click-click. . .). First time they said the battery needed charging. Took it home and then the battery needed charging again and we replaced the battery in the remote start - told to also start it daily. Third time the original battery was finally dead according to the manufacturers tester. Battery replaced and told to make sure to start it daily. Now on the fourth time, I was told that the battery was dead, again. I was also told that I had not put enough mileage on it since the battery was replaced and I need to drive it more. I purchased the RAM 1500 so that I could tow my small camper and my boat. I felt that I needed a small V-8 for the power and this vehicle is rated for 8000 pounds. Being principally recreational, the pandemic has caused less use than before.

Anyone know how long I would need to drive this vehicle in a day, week, month, to keep from having this problem? Do I also have one of those parasitic leakages I am hearing about?

Thanking everyone in advance for any insight I might be able to get.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I suspect those having this battery issue have a fairly robust phantom electrical load someplace. Or, maybe the charging system is at fault and is not keeping the battery up to the voltage needed. After you make a couple of short trips with it, and have drawn more than is replaced by the charging system you fall below the voltage needed for starting the truck.

It is just precious when dealers respond to an issue with statements like, " it is normal", "It is OK, those Temps. are not going to hurt anything", or in your case "you need to drive it more".
I wonder what all of those car owners who work out of town for a week or more at a time do when they leave their vehicle home in the garage? Being idle for long periods of time may require removing the Neg. lead from the battery. But your truck certainly should not be gong through batteries at the rate that it is.

Edit:My truck has the original battery. Battery was once drawn down to nothing due to something being left on over a period of 3 days. This certainly is not going to help in regards to battery longevity. To this day it may sit with a cover on it for a week to 10 days at a time. It has never failed to easily turn over and start. If I am going to leave it unused for months at a time I will disconnect the Neg. Batt. lead.

Last edited: