Battery Gauge pegged HIGH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deer Huntin Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 8 CYL Gas
Looking for a little advice here ....
This morning, my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie - V8 - 5.9L 360ci GAS, battery gauge went off the chart to the high side. Have never seen this before. It ran fine, got to work, shut it off & now nothing. I mean NOTHING. I haven't had a chance to pop the hood but, has anybody seen this before? What am I looking at? New alternator? New battery? At lunch, we're going to put a meter on it & see.
Thanks again for the help.
Gary

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cant recall if the 2001 had an internal voltage regulator on the alternator or not. You either need a new regulator if its external, new alternator if its internal. Hopefully you didnt have a lot of lights and such on as when that happens it tends to burn them out fast.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cant recall if the 2001 had an internal voltage regulator on the alternator or not. You either need a new regulator if its external, new alternator if its internal. Hopefully you didnt have a lot of lights and such on as when that happens it tends to burn them out fast.
Regulator is in the PCM non replaceable

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regulator is in the PCM non replaceable

That’s right, there is a way to setup an external one. I believe to had to have done this year n my 99 Ram Van.

If you have already tried to get the alternator tested and it’s good, then it’s time to start becoming an engineer.

Quick google search for external regulator bring s it all back to me.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s right, there is a way to setup an external one. I believe to had to have done this year n my 99 Ram Van.

If you have already tried to get the alternator tested and it’s good, then it’s time to start becoming an engineer.

Quick google search for external regulator bring s it all back to me.
Yes you can wire in an external one

sgopus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 l 24V Diesel
mine had been doing the same thing, my original alt quit, replaced with a rebuilt and it did the same as yours. I finally replaced it with a new one, and it quit.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01