Battery maintainer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys want to add a battery maintainer /battery tender to my 14 ram hemi 1500 and after reading online and watching YouTube video now not sure how to connect it.

So these trucks have the battery sensor voltage regulator crap on negative terminal so would I connect the battery maintainer right at the battery posts like on other vehicles or do I have to connect the maintainer before or after that sensor?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No it's not, I keep a battery tender on my truck when parked and mine plugs into the "live" cigar lighter socket in my arm rest, but the socket has to be hot all the time or it won't tend.
I wouldn't have one that didn't charge via this method.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No it's not, I keep a battery tender on my truck when parked and mine plugs into the "live" cigar lighter socket in my arm rest, but the socket has to be hot all the time or it won't tend.
I wouldn't have one that didn't charge via this method.

What is the purpose of charging through the socket? I've always used the tender on the posts on all my vehicles without issue.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
What is the purpose of charging through the socket? I've always used the tender on the posts on all my vehicles without issue.

Convenience. Especially easier for the ladies.
The problem is that socket 12v wiring will not handle high-powered tenders, so only low-powered tenders can be fitted that way.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Convenience. Especially easier for the ladies.
The problem is that socket 12v wiring will not handle high-powered tenders, so only low-powered tenders can be fitted that way.

Fair enough. My tender came with ring terminals that I installed on the battery terminal so all you do is plug the connector in, no messing with the clamps.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys want to add a battery maintainer /battery tender to my 14 ram hemi 1500 and after reading online and watching YouTube video now not sure how to connect it.

So these trucks have the battery sensor voltage regulator crap on negative terminal so would I connect the battery maintainer right at the battery posts like on other vehicles or do I have to connect the maintainer before or after that sensor?

When connecting any battery charger to a battery with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), its negative lead must be connected to the IBS connector (or to chassis ground) and not directly to the battery's negative post. Otherwise, you'll create a condition known as "Blind Charging". The IBS needs to monitor the battery's condition by sensing current going in or out of the battery. If bypassed, the IBS may not be able to properly operate, possibly resulting in unexpected conditions.

Please see this Mopar service document discussing Blind Charging for more information.

The IBS system is not yet well known among vehicle owners, accessory providers, or even some service personnel. I've been discovering this myself because no one can inform me how to properly install battery power to a winch on a vehicle using an IBS sensor.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When connecting any battery charger to a battery with an Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS), its negative lead must be connected to the IBS connector (or to chassis ground) and not directly to the battery's negative post. Otherwise, you'll create a condition known as "Blind Charging". The IBS needs to monitor the battery's condition by sensing current going in or out of the battery. If bypassed, the IBS may not be able to properly operate, possibly resulting in unexpected conditions.

Please see this Mopar service document discussing Blind Charging for more information.

The IBS system is not yet well known among vehicle owners, accessory providers, or even some service personnel. I've been discovering this myself because no one can inform me how to properly install battery power to a winch on a vehicle using an IBS sensor.
That's how mine works, it has a read-out screen and monitors the charging constantly.
I also have a digital read-out on my positive terminal that tells me exactly what the current charge is.
The tender shuts off when the battery is at maximum charge.

IMG_20150909_190339_843.jpg

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Convenience, it's a lot quicker to hook up, no hassle with messing with anything under the hood, simply turn it off and un-plug it and you're on your way.
I don't think High power vs low power really makes any difference if you consider what these are designed to do, high power will still be a trickle just like low power?
Keep in mind, tenders are not designed to give you rapid charge capability, defeats the purpose. That's what they have battery chargers for, tenders are just for maintaining.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Convenience, it's a lot quicker to hook up, no hassle with messing with anything under the hood, simply turn it off and un-plug it and you're on your way.
I don't think High power vs low power really makes any difference if you consider what these are designed to do, high power will still be a trickle just like low power?
Keep in mind, tenders are not designed to give you rapid charge capability, defeats the purpose. That's what they have battery chargers for, tenders are just for maintaining.

You are correct for devices that are only a tender.

When I said high power I was referring to the big boys that are chargers and trickle down to become tenders. Like the Noco Genius 10 or Pro25

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That's what I saw and seen some videos about this but then others say it doesn't matter haha.

So where exactly would I connect the negative to? Do u have a photo by chance.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I saw and seen some videos about this but then others say it doesn't matter haha.

So where exactly would I connect the negative to? Do u have a photo by chance.

I have not been able to get anyone to give me any information on what the consequences are of bypassing the IBS. I've even asked Bosch, the manufacturer of the IBS that RAM uses and they gave me a totally worthless answer:

Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for the interest you have shown in our products.

Each of our products is specially tailored to the needs of our industry customers in order to facilitate optimal system integration. For this reason, we are unfortunately unable to provide any additional information on the specifications of our products that goes beyond the technical data provided on our website.

In addition to this technical data, we also provide many videos about our solutions on our YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/boschmobility

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Robert Bosch GmbH

Bosch Service Center
Postfach 300220
70442 Stuttgart
Tel: +49 (0)711 / 400 40990

Here is where to connect the battery charger's negative lead.

upload_2021-4-9_9-10-38.png

You can also connect it to any chassis ground.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The IBS needs to monitor the battery's condition by sensing current going in or out of the battery. If bypassed, the IBS may not be able to properly operate, possibly resulting in unexpected conditions.

You answered your own question, ground the which to the frame so all current goes through the IBS

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You answered your own question, ground the which to the frame so all current goes through the IBS
A high-powered winch can draw up to 480 amps. A typical IBS can only handle around 250 amps. The winch could fry the IBS.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A high-powered winch can draw up to 480 amps. A typical IBS can only handle around 250 amps. The winch could fry the IBS.
Even more so you've researched out the answer. If the amp draw potential was close than it might be a question. Being almost double the rated current could end badly.
Ram isn't going to tell you anything about how to hook up a winch to a vehicle not equiped with one from the factory.
Start looking up how the PowerWagon winch is wired, there is a section in the forum dedicated to them make a post there.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even more so you've researched out the answer. If the amp draw potential was close than it might be a question. Being almost double the rated current could end badly.
Ram isn't going to tell you anything about how to hook up a winch to a vehicle not equiped with one from the factory.
Start looking up how the PowerWagon winch is wired, there is a section in the forum dedicated to them make a post there.
First of all, I don't know what the RAM's IBS is actually rated for. A typical IBS is only rated for around 250 amps, but what if RAM was smart enough to spec one rated for 500 amps to accommodate a winch? That information would be great to know. I even tried to get the RAM IBS specs from Bosch, the IBS manufacturer, but they would not disclose them. What's the point in not telling the vehicle owner the specs so that they could safely install or not install an accessory??

In the event that the IBS needs to be bypassed, there is also the question of: What are the consequences?

RAM should definitely supply this information. People routinely buy 4x4 trucks to go off-roading. When off-roading, it's always a good idea to have a winch. So, installing a winch on a 4x4 truck is relatively common and well within the normal usage of such a vehicle. Provisions should be made for such an accessory. Either way, RAM should absolutely disclose if a winch can or cannot be properly installed on their trucks.

I would love to know how the PowerWagon's winch is wired. I've asked that in several other threads but no one has yet answered and I've not yet been able to get the schematics. I suspect that the PowerWagon does not use an IBS so this would probably not help me anyway.

I'm not the first or last person who's going to want to install a winch on a RAM 1500. This information needs to be discovered or disclosed.

Last edited:

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed this in mine.

91MfHXexDBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Now I like that idea!
I'm gonna go check one of those out now.
Question; does the male plug coming out of the side of the charger unplug from the charger? Do you have to store the pug end under the hood too? How long is the cord plug?
Show us your, please?

Last edited: