Battery maintainer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eric) at South Main Auto (Youtube guy) just did a video on this on a Ram....

I've watched that video but didn't exactly see where the negative got hooked up lol then I came here to ask.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum
I went a different route: I have one 12V outlet inside that is always hot. I got myself a little solar panel, maybe 18" by 8" and I have it sitting on the dash, plugged into the outlet. At night it ain't charging: for sure, but it also has an inline diode that prevents it from actually draining the battery. During the day it trickle charges the battery. I just leave it there. No cables running from the house to the truck that I may forget to undo when I'm in a rush. EZ. I think I paid $21 for it.

It's been set up like that for almost a year now. The highest the voltage gets in full sun is about 13.2V. Never dropped below 12.5V. Perfect in my book.

Aharleyguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A weird thing happened to me. I disconnected both terminals trying to reset the computer, and the cab lights, hood lights stayed on. Is there two batteries in this 1500 eco diesel?

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I use a Battery Tender Plus Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - 12 Volt, 1.25 Amp Battery Chargers - 022-0185G-DL-WH on my 2021 RAM 1500. I first connect the positive clip to the positive battery terminal then, connect the negative clip to a steel bolt (not the battery terminal) and finally plug the Battery Tender into an outlet. To remove, do everything in reverse….unplug Battery Tender first etc.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
I just installed this in mine.

View attachment 459290
Just did the same install on my 2021 RAM 6.4 hemi

I grounded to the IBS terminal where you can see the #4 negative wire to the DC/DC charger in my camper. The truck has been sitting for two weeks and when I connected the NOCO Genius2d I got the slow pulse red, which says SOC was <75%. I measured 12.6ish volts. .

-----I'll check again after three hours-----

I'm now getting 13.49v
After reading the tiny instruction manual it says a 12v 40ah battery can take 10 hours to charge from 50% DOD (depth of discharge). My build sheet says I have a 730 amp battery (Snowchief, dual alternators). But I don't know what is the amp hour rating, and can't seem to locate it in the manual.

-----Checked again the following morning---
Red light was still pulsing! Maybe the 730 amp is a 73 amp/hour battery?
In which case it could take up to 20 hours to bring from 50% SOC.

----Checked again in the evening, approx 27 hours after connecting---
Green light pulsing, which means 75-99% SOC
That's better. Hoping to see a solid green light next

I was shocked my batter was so low, and hope this will take better care of our RV, which stays put for chunks of time. 20220227_143423.jpg

Last edited:

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
Now I like that idea!
I'm gonna go check one of those out now.
Question; does the male plug coming out of the side of the charger unplug from the charger? Do you have to store the pug end under the hood too? How long is the cord plug?
Show us your, please?
The NOCO plug is 16" long. I had *just enough* cord to connect the female to the male of the NOCO Genius2D maintainer. I drilled the 2" hole into my lower shroud.

Attachments

• 20220227_143408.jpg
    20220227_143408.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3