Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Battery Replacement?

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by NY Andrew, Sep 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I like the autocraft battery, I bought one for my daughters Silverado a few years ago and its held up fine. I bought mine at Advanced Auto parts, I ordered it online with a 25% off coupon and picked up at the store an hour later.

Who makes AutoCraft platinum?
    The AutoCraft Battery line is actually manufactured by Johnson Controls. This is the same manufacturer as Duralast, Everstart, Optima, DieHard, and Interstate Batteries. Oct 17, 2018

Rado likes this.
  2. indept

indept Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    Just curious, have you gone ti the dealer for a free replacement? You're still under the 3/36 aren't you? And the battery should have warranty too. I had a just under 2 year old grand caravan where the battery went completely dead. Dealer towed it in, diagnosed & replaced battery, no charge. My 2017 Ram has had no problem, through 2 full years last week and no issues.

Jstmahoney and Firetruck41 like this.
  3. NY Andrew

NY Andrew Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 Hemi
    I have not. I sorta don’t want to have them document “customer has aftermarket security system and front camera and OBD devices and dash camera; which would be the issue with drain” and have them void battery warranty along with making a paper trail of mods to use against me in the future should anything arise ALL without any proof!!! Because that’s how they work...even though I’ve had zero electrical issues and this issue only arises in the cold for some reason.

I know if I were to get new battery and it have any issues then obviously might have something more going on and then I can remove the stuff, see how it lasts, if still issues then reinstall OEM battery and have them diagnose.

Wish OBD diagnostics could show where, if any, extra drain is occurring. “Fuse 31 extra voltage draw detected at 14:30”.

Mines 1.5 years old but this is what happens sometimes when you buy things brand new.

indept likes this.
  4. indept

indept Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    I have read about premature battery failures with all brands. My understanding is that there are a few manufacturers that make all brands so you may not get any difference. I think you're overworrying about this, they most likely won't notice the add ons you stated and if there is an electrical issue then you should get it fixed on their dime not yours.

5. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Costco

6. NY Andrew

NY Andrew Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L V8 Hemi
    Alright guys so here’s the update....

No NorthStar locations near me. Costco wasn’t populating for my vehicle along with interstate. AutoCraft I found last minute bad things about even when they had a 25% off coupon online (ConsumerReports eid extensive breakdown). X2 was a lot of money and wasn’t near me either. Really what it seems to come down to is ALL batteries are made by a few manufacturers and then everyone throws their branding on. So really all batteries are created almost equal. It’s just who wants to pay more for the same thing or “name” when there’s not really any difference. Every company is going to have their defective ones and unfortunately that’s what we see, rarely how many are good, just the bad. In the end, I really just need one that is better than OEM.

Auto Zone Duralast Platinum was what I chose.

Only two were in stock, one with an August sticker and one with a July sticker. I chose the July one because it looked cleaner and had the positive battery cover vs the August one behind the July one didn’t have the cover and terminals weren’t as neat.

Had the cashier check the battery at the counter. 12.6v. And it was probably sitting since July. So you’re talking possibly over 60 days. $217 out the door.

At home removed the OEM one (realized it has a liquid inside from shaking it, I guess because it’s not AGM and wondering if the OEM was to require maintenance?). Terminals are like brand new still 1.5 years later. They both seem to be the exact same size.

Upon hooking the new one up, truck began making interior noises just as it did when I disconnected the terminals. I could see UConnect RAM flash once.

When I stated vehicle there was no UConnect screen initially. I started pushing buttons out of panic and it came on.

NOW LET ME TELL YOU ALL THE SETTINGS I LOST!! Just the theme background imagine hah.

14.20-14.5v truck running. Seems to jump around 0.10-0.30 when the stock subs kick. 12.7v when vehicle off.

Guess now we just wait and see! Needa have it sit for a bit, but going out tomorrow and Thursday with it so might be a bit until I can report back the longevity of it sitting. 3 years warranty. Not sure how their “tests” will determine if it’s worthy of replacement or not, but feel better having gone this route then the dealer. Especially seeing how shitty this OEM one was! NOT EVEN LABELED! No name garbage. Prob filled with more water than acid.

Thanks everyone for the great info and advice! Hoping I don’t have to post back in future with battery issues hah. Really looking forward to seeing how my first AGM battery is.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering. OEM part#(can't find it anywhere or info): 56029635AC. CCA 730. RC 140. Ahr 80. EN 630. Oh wait, it does say manufactured by Johnson Controls for FCA in USA.

Did anyone’s vehicle come with a NEGATIVE battery terminal cover? I only have the positive one. Wondering if I can get one from somewhere.

Also starting to wonder if the battery maintainer (hooked to + and - terminals) not being plugged in to power outlet can be causing drainage?

Probably gonna flip the old battery. It’s never died on me once so I’m sure it’s still plenty good for someone. 12.12v when I took it inside.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    Elevated 2013 likes this.
  7. gofishn

gofishn Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram 1500 Express 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" Short Box
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Actually, Johnson controls sold off the Optima brand to a an Capital Managment Group (Read; Investment Company)

Johnson bought Optima, promptly moved manufacturing down to Mexico, because as we all know, that makes everything better.
    Mexican garbage batteries start to cost market share. Ride the Optima rep, for the decade or so it takes for all the old Optima owners to wise up.
    Then sell the brand to Invest Firm.

Investment Firms tend to turn the business around or bleed every single drop of Coin out of the brand until its completely dies off , then sell brand to some Chinese Company.

Old Story, for a ton of brands and use your Google Fu to verify this one.

Right now, the Word is still out on how the new Optima Batteries are holding up.

I, personally, have zero interest in Optima, Interstate, Johnson Controls or Exide.
    I am POSITIVE each and everyone make a find battery. I just do not which battery that is, have had too much bad luck with the ones I have bought or those whom I know have bought and, frankly, do not want to mess with the damn battery again, for Years and Years.

When the battery fails, it is never 77 degrees, sunshine, nice wind and bikini clad Hotties sunning themselves in the yard next to yours, as you work on changing out the battery.
    WOUldn;t it be nice?

But , Nooo, it;s always 03:00, -20 Degrees, 2 ft of snow, 35mph winds and pack of starving wild Dobermans looking for the next meal.

Whatever battery you buy, hope the thing lasts as long as I want my East Penn to last.

F O R E V E R . . . . . .

RodeoRam likes this.
  8. MMM

MMM Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Bought my Autocraft AGM yesterday.
    Installed painlessly.
    The factory original was 730CCA, the new is 850CCA.
    When it hit a cold couple days last week, I hit the auto-start and I could hear the truck struggle just a little on cranking over.
    I decided that I didn't want a dead start like my last truck out of the blue.
    Funny thing, my brother has an identical 2014 as I do.
    I had asked him 2 weeks ago if he had the original battery, and if it gave him any trouble.
    He said original and no issues.
    Yesterday when I bought the battery, he told me he just started having a crank issues.
    Seems like 5 years is the life.
    While the battery may have lasted me a couple more months, I just didn't want to deal with the headache on a cold dead morning.
    The battery was $200, - 25%, I had a $20GC from a previous rebate, plus I think there is a $10 rebate on the battery right now.
    I have to return the old to get my $22 core charge money back, but at the end of the day, $120-130 plus tax is a good deal.

9. Gary2

Gary2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I should be receiving my replacement today . I found my 2017 Ram had a 2013 Battery, no clue how it got there . Truck was new to me a few months ago . I used Odyssey in my Jeeps and now I will be using it in the Ran too. p-94r-850-odyssey-battery.html

10. Graygoose

Graygoose Diplorable Crumb Collector Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Ram Classic
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    If and when mine goes out, i will try XS Power battery. We have great luck with them.

gofishn likes this.