Battery Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
If this doesn't belong in this category please relocate or tell me before deleting. Thanks.

SOOOO, 2018 1500 5.7L. OEM battery is garbage, first "cold" week end of summer of 50 degree nights and security system told me low voltage of 11.7v after 5 days of sitting...when I had zero issues the entire summer sitting 2-3 weeks. Don't want to turn this in to a battery diagnosis thread, so let's just stay on topic.

I think OEM is 625-730 amp with 750 CCA. So definitely as high as I possibly can go above that. I KNOW I want AGM.

Actually having a difficult time finding batteries for this truck. Online half the websites don't have my vehicle (NAPA, O'Reilly's, Interstate, Costco). Believe H7 is the "Group" yet many other websites don't even have "H7 group" but also think it may be a 94R? Difference of like $10 below between the two I've found (and can probably find coupons). Believe they may both be made by same company?

AutoZone:
Duralast Platinum Battery H7-AGM Group Size 94R 850 CCA

Advanced Auto:
AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H7, 850 CCA

Remember reading on here I believe about Deka, but can't find them anywhere and would like to stay away from Optima, read they've gone downhill. DieHard may also be good one but not sure where or what type of theirs to buy. Not fully ruling out Walmart, buuuut rather search elsewhere. Also read some have made an H8 work.

Really looking to see what you guys have had installed and highly recommend. Crazy amount of electronics and aftermarket electronics these days too and I let the truck sit up to 2 weeks sometimes, rarely even 3 weeks. I also have a 12v battery maintainer I'm hoping to continue to use with the new battery as long as it won't cause issues every day of the winter.

Side note, also remember reading in the past people having to get radio codes etc when battery has been swapped. Does this still happen?

And lastly, is it dumb to leave battery blanket on it summer? Cause any potential issues? More heat could cause battery issues I'd assume.

Last edited:

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interstate batteries are good. I haven’t had to replace the one in my 2014, but I use mine almost daily. What are you using for your battery maintainer?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interstate is a good battery. Die Hard you can find at Sears Automotive or National Tire and Battery (I believe). I’ve heard the name Deka before but I’m wondering if they’re a brand that produces batteries with other brand names on it. Kind of a behind the scenes manufacturer, but I know nothing about them.

Not trying to diagnose your low voltage alarm but I’m wondering if you left a small light on somewhere and it drained the battery a little? 11.7 for a truck sitting several weeks isn’t bad as it’s just under 12v and once you start the engine is should go right back to 14v. 1 year is a super short life for a battery as most of the batteries in my region (Northern Midwest) which gets extremely hot and cold throughout the year still get 3-4 years out of them. I’ll leave it at just that statement though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Pretty sure both of those batteries are made by Johnson Controls.
Read the Hazmat sheet f, ti will tell you Manufacturer.

Tried to find it, online, but no Luck.

I went with O'Reilly's store brand, in AGM, it is made by Decca/East Penn.

Was a fanatical Interstate battery guy , for decades, last 10 years changed my mind.
They are not as good, as they once were.

Aother place to check out is X2 at Battery Plus.

they have a tremendous battery, it is made by NorthStar which is another great battery brand, at this time.
5, 10 years down the line, who knows.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Interstate is a good battery. Die Hard you can find at Sears Automotive or National Tire and Battery (I believe). I’ve heard the name Deka before but I’m wondering if they’re a brand that produces batteries with other brand names on it. Kind of a behind the scenes manufacturer, but I know nothing about them.

Not trying to diagnose your low voltage alarm but I’m wondering if you left a small light on somewhere and it drained the battery a little? 11.7 for a truck sitting several weeks isn’t bad as it’s just under 12v and once you start the engine is should go right back to 14v. 1 year is a super short life for a battery as most of the batteries in my region (Northern Midwest) which gets extremely hot and cold throughout the year still get 3-4 years out of them. I’ll leave it at just that statement though.

Can’t find interstate that matches my vehicle on their website?

Sears went belly up all around me.

Believe Deka is Australian maybe that’s why we’re having issues finding it?

They did just replace the overhead console map light, but everything was off. The 11.7 was after 5 days. You’re right it did shoot right up to 14.3 I think. Dash camera goes off when vehicle is off from cog lighter, the aftermarket security system has been flawless all summer no drain issues and that’s the only thing on 24/7, I ran front camera that is powered from 12v fuse tap which is ONLY on when vehicle is on, and have a OBD device in but that should shut off when vehicle off as well. Like I said no issues all summer makes me think the cells are bad when it gets cold they can’t keep up or something that’s why I bought battery maintainer last winter. Only in winter so I have slight issue for some reason. Now that I think of it I even had the battery drain issue before the aftermarket security and the other add ons I just mentioned as well, so gotta be the battery id think. OEM batteries are hit or miss.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Pretty sure both of those batteries are made by Johnson Controls.
Read the Hazmat sheet f, ti will tell you Manufacturer.

Tried to find it, online, but no Luck.

I went with O'Reilly's store brand, in AGM, it is made by Decca/East Penn.

Was a fanatical Interstate battery guy , for decades, last 10 years changed my mind.
They are not as good, as they once were.

Aother place to check out is X2 at Battery Plus.

they have a tremendous battery, it is made by NorthStar which is another great battery brand, at this time.
5, 10 years down the line, who knows.

Yep that’s the company!

Thanks for that last half! Gonna research all that. Great info.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The last piece of advice that I’ll give you for this is that if you buy it from a parts store, check the date on the battery and force them to check it with their tester as you have no idea how long it sat there before you bought it. I worked for Auto Zone for 5 years and I sold several batteries that turned out that they sat for a while and weren’t as fully charged as they should have been.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AGM les Schwab batteries are pretty good. If you can look in your local market for a Optima battery. Optima make awesome batteries but cost a lot.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
I would get the cheapest AGM battery that fits, and exceeds the OEM specs (CCA, etc.). If you have the money, I would get the largest, cheapest AGM that physically fits.

The size or group is basically physical size, really any 12v battery will work in almost any vehicle. The larger capacity, CCA, etc the better. When I bought a battery recently, Walmart was cheapest, time before that, was Amazon. Walmart is nice for their 5 year warranty on AGM, and ease of return or warranty exchange.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the autocraft battery, I bought one for my daughters Silverado a few years ago and its held up fine. I bought mine at Advanced Auto parts, I ordered it online with a 25% off coupon and picked up at the store an hour later.

Who makes AutoCraft platinum?
The AutoCraft Battery line is actually manufactured by Johnson Controls. This is the same manufacturer as Duralast, Everstart, Optima, DieHard, and Interstate Batteries. Oct 17, 2018

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just curious, have you gone ti the dealer for a free replacement? You're still under the 3/36 aren't you? And the battery should have warranty too. I had a just under 2 year old grand caravan where the battery went completely dead. Dealer towed it in, diagnosed & replaced battery, no charge. My 2017 Ram has had no problem, through 2 full years last week and no issues.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Just curious, have you gone ti the dealer for a free replacement? You're still under the 3/36 aren't you? And the battery should have warranty too. I had a just under 2 year old grand caravan where the battery went completely dead. Dealer towed it in, diagnosed & replaced battery, no charge. My 2017 Ram has had no problem, through 2 full years last week and no issues.

I have not. I sorta don’t want to have them document “customer has aftermarket security system and front camera and OBD devices and dash camera; which would be the issue with drain” and have them void battery warranty along with making a paper trail of mods to use against me in the future should anything arise ALL without any proof!!! Because that’s how they work...even though I’ve had zero electrical issues and this issue only arises in the cold for some reason.

I know if I were to get new battery and it have any issues then obviously might have something more going on and then I can remove the stuff, see how it lasts, if still issues then reinstall OEM battery and have them diagnose.

Wish OBD diagnostics could show where, if any, extra drain is occurring. “Fuse 31 extra voltage draw detected at 14:30”.

Mines 1.5 years old but this is what happens sometimes when you buy things brand new.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have read about premature battery failures with all brands. My understanding is that there are a few manufacturers that make all brands so you may not get any difference. I think you're overworrying about this, they most likely won't notice the add ons you stated and if there is an electrical issue then you should get it fixed on their dime not yours.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Alright guys so here’s the update....

No NorthStar locations near me. Costco wasn’t populating for my vehicle along with interstate. AutoCraft I found last minute bad things about even when they had a 25% off coupon online (ConsumerReports eid extensive breakdown). X2 was a lot of money and wasn’t near me either. Really what it seems to come down to is ALL batteries are made by a few manufacturers and then everyone throws their branding on. So really all batteries are created almost equal. It’s just who wants to pay more for the same thing or “name” when there’s not really any difference. Every company is going to have their defective ones and unfortunately that’s what we see, rarely how many are good, just the bad. In the end, I really just need one that is better than OEM.

Auto Zone Duralast Platinum was what I chose.

Only two were in stock, one with an August sticker and one with a July sticker. I chose the July one because it looked cleaner and had the positive battery cover vs the August one behind the July one didn’t have the cover and terminals weren’t as neat.

Had the cashier check the battery at the counter. 12.6v. And it was probably sitting since July. So you’re talking possibly over 60 days. $217 out the door.

At home removed the OEM one (realized it has a liquid inside from shaking it, I guess because it’s not AGM and wondering if the OEM was to require maintenance?). Terminals are like brand new still 1.5 years later. They both seem to be the exact same size.

Upon hooking the new one up, truck began making interior noises just as it did when I disconnected the terminals. I could see UConnect RAM flash once.

When I stated vehicle there was no UConnect screen initially. I started pushing buttons out of panic and it came on.

NOW LET ME TELL YOU ALL THE SETTINGS I LOST!! Just the theme background imagine hah.

14.20-14.5v truck running. Seems to jump around 0.10-0.30 when the stock subs kick. 12.7v when vehicle off.

Guess now we just wait and see! Needa have it sit for a bit, but going out tomorrow and Thursday with it so might be a bit until I can report back the longevity of it sitting. 3 years warranty. Not sure how their “tests” will determine if it’s worthy of replacement or not, but feel better having gone this route then the dealer. Especially seeing how ****** this OEM one was! NOT EVEN LABELED! No name garbage. Prob filled with more water than acid.

Thanks everyone for the great info and advice! Hoping I don’t have to post back in future with battery issues hah. Really looking forward to seeing how my first AGM battery is.

Oh, in case anyone was wondering. OEM part#(can't find it anywhere or info): 56029635AC. CCA 730. RC 140. Ahr 80. EN 630. Oh wait, it does say manufactured by Johnson Controls for FCA in USA.

Did anyone’s vehicle come with a NEGATIVE battery terminal cover? I only have the positive one. Wondering if I can get one from somewhere.

Also starting to wonder if the battery maintainer (hooked to + and - terminals) not being plugged in to power outlet can be causing drainage?

Probably gonna flip the old battery. It’s never died on me once so I’m sure it’s still plenty good for someone. 12.12v when I took it inside.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I like the autocraft battery, I bought one for my daughters Silverado a few years ago and its held up fine. I bought mine at Advanced Auto parts, I ordered it online with a 25% off coupon and picked up at the store an hour later.

Who makes AutoCraft platinum?
The AutoCraft Battery line is actually manufactured by Johnson Controls. This is the same manufacturer as Duralast, Everstart, Optima, DieHard, and Interstate Batteries. Oct 17, 2018

Actually, Johnson controls sold off the Optima brand to a an Capital Managment Group (Read; Investment Company)

Johnson bought Optima, promptly moved manufacturing down to Mexico, because as we all know, that makes everything better.
Mexican garbage batteries start to cost market share. Ride the Optima rep, for the decade or so it takes for all the old Optima owners to wise up.
Then sell the brand to Invest Firm.

Investment Firms tend to turn the business around or bleed every single drop of Coin out of the brand until its completely dies off , then sell brand to some Chinese Company.

Old Story, for a ton of brands and use your Google Fu to verify this one.

Right now, the Word is still out on how the new Optima Batteries are holding up.

I, personally, have zero interest in Optima, Interstate, Johnson Controls or Exide.
I am POSITIVE each and everyone make a find battery. I just do not which battery that is, have had too much bad luck with the ones I have bought or those whom I know have bought and, frankly, do not want to mess with the damn battery again, for Years and Years.

When the battery fails, it is never 77 degrees, sunshine, nice wind and bikini clad Hotties sunning themselves in the yard next to yours, as you work on changing out the battery.
WOUldn;t it be nice?

But , Nooo, it;s always 03:00, -20 Degrees, 2 ft of snow, 35mph winds and pack of starving wild Dobermans looking for the next meal.

Whatever battery you buy, hope the thing lasts as long as I want my East Penn to last.

F O R E V E R . . . . . .

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought my Autocraft AGM yesterday.
Installed painlessly.
The factory original was 730CCA, the new is 850CCA.
When it hit a cold couple days last week, I hit the auto-start and I could hear the truck struggle just a little on cranking over.
I decided that I didn't want a dead start like my last truck out of the blue.
Funny thing, my brother has an identical 2014 as I do.
I had asked him 2 weeks ago if he had the original battery, and if it gave him any trouble.
He said original and no issues.
Yesterday when I bought the battery, he told me he just started having a crank issues.
Seems like 5 years is the life.
While the battery may have lasted me a couple more months, I just didn't want to deal with the headache on a cold dead morning.
The battery was $200, - 25%, I had a $20GC from a previous rebate, plus I think there is a $10 rebate on the battery right now.
I have to return the old to get my $22 core charge money back, but at the end of the day, $120-130 plus tax is a good deal.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I should be receiving my replacement today . I found my 2017 Ram had a 2013 Battery, no clue how it got there . Truck was new to me a few months ago . I used Odyssey in my Jeeps and now I will be using it in the Ran too. p-94r-850-odyssey-battery.html

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
If and when mine goes out, i will try XS Power battery. We have great luck with them.