Battery took a dump on me.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My company GM's battery went south when the truck was 3 months old,and what a fight it was to get GM to warrenty it. It'd pass a battery test using their high dollar digital set-up,but it wouldn't pass a test using my old toaster style battery testor.I finally ended up taking my old toaster tester over,and damn near had to ram it down the service writers ass,before he'd finally admit the battery had issues,even though the tech agreed with me,lol
"You can't fix stupid"

2012RAM1500RT

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
My company GM's battery went south when the truck was 3 months old,and what a fight it was to get GM to warrenty it. It'd pass a battery test using their high dollar digital set-up,but it wouldn't pass a test using my old toaster style battery testor.I finally ended up taking my old toaster tester over,and damn near had to ram it down the service writers ass,before he'd finally admit the battery had issues,even though the tech agreed with me,lol
Had a similar incident with a battery about 1 year old. Let a truck sit over the weekend and the truck wouldn't start on Monday, assumed something was left on so I charged it , the vehicle would start all week and sit over the weekend again and wouldn't start on Monday. Repeat, started fine all week, weekend come disconnected battery over weekend still wouldn't start on Monday. Replaced the battery and put other battery on charger and when my battery supplier came by he put his $800 battery tester on it and battery "checked good". Put my old $30 toaster oven styled battery tester on it and it disagreed. Went 2 more weeks and the truck never failed to start again. Took an act of God to convince them the battery was bad or they got tired of me pushing the issue and they replaced the battery. High dollar tech isn't always the gospel! LOL

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My batteries crapped out Monday. Six years so I can't complain too bad. I did switch to Napa's AGM's this time. Napa's batteries are made by East Penn, they make Deka. Napa had 20% off which helped some because I had to buy two... Cummins.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Had a similar incident with a battery about 1 year old. Let a truck sit over the weekend and the truck wouldn't start on Monday, assumed something was left on so I charged it , the vehicle would start all week and sit over the weekend again and wouldn't start on Monday. Repeat, started fine all week, weekend come disconnected battery over weekend still wouldn't start on Monday. Replaced the battery and put other battery on charger and when my battery supplier came by he put his $800 battery tester on it and battery "checked good". Put my old $30 toaster oven styled battery tester on it and it disagreed. Went 2 more weeks and the truck never failed to start again. Took an act of God to convince them the battery was bad or they got tired of me pushing the issue and they replaced the battery. High dollar tech isn't always the gospel! LOL
I have more respect for the old style toaster testers,then i do for the high dollar digital testers.I think the new style testers were designed so that dealers/battery suppliers etc. could blullshit their way out of having to replace a battery under warrenty,lol;)

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Safety was a major motivator for getting away from "toaster" style battery testers. Open heat elements can and WILL ignite the extremely explosive hydrogen gas emitted by a heavily circuit loaded lead/acid battery. Ask me, I've had 2 explode on me (decades ago). Except for the safety equipment I used, I'd be blind today. And, you've never seen anyone shed their sulfuric acid soaked uniform as he (me) hauled ass to the bathroom to get water to neutralize the burns on me from said acid. (Fortunately, our uniforms were kept in this bathroom, so a clean one was at hand.)

Test equipment isn't developed to give anyone an "out" regarding warranty, although, I feel your pain. That guy may lack common "horse" sense, who knows? As far as your described woes with your repeated charging and the battery going dead repeatedly, it was possibly sulphated due to deep cycle discharge. Sometimes, folks in the business are mesmerized by "tech" gadgets. That's why, in spite of my multi thousands of dollars in high tech diagnostic equipment, there are times that a 10 dollar vacuum gauge will tell you all you need to know about a root cause issue on a poor running engine.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Safety was a major motivator for getting away from "toaster" style battery testers. Open heat elements can and WILL ignite the extremely explosive hydrogen gas emitted by a heavily circuit loaded lead/acid battery. Ask me, I've had 2 explode on me (decades ago). Except for the safety equipment I used, I'd be blind today. And, you've never seen anyone shed their sulfuric acid soaked uniform as he (me) hauled ass to the bathroom to get water to neutralize the burns on me from said acid. (Fortunately, our uniforms were kept in this bathroom, so a clean one was at hand.)

Test equipment isn't developed to give anyone an "out" regarding warranty, although, I feel your pain. That guy may lack common "horse" sense, who knows? As far as your described woes with your repeated charging and the battery going dead repeatedly, it was possibly sulphated due to deep cycle discharge. Sometimes, folks in the business are mesmerized by "tech" gadgets. That's why, in spite of my multi thousands of dollars in high tech diagnostic equipment, there are times that a 10 dollar vacuum gauge will tell you all you need to know about a root cause issue on a poor running engine.
WHICH is why I still have these beauties around just in case, LOL. Not help much with RAM, does good for 2 Cylinder Kohler Tractor Mower though.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach