BDS 4" lift ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently contacted a place about having a 4" suspension lift installed. I have a 2012 Ram CC with a Rancho QL level on it. They recommend the BDS 4" suspension lift. They told me that I couldn't use the Rancho QL struts and would have to go back to the stock struts for the BDS kit to work. I thought I have read on hear that people use level kits with there suspension lifts all the time. Is this true that I can't use the Ranchos with a suspension lift??

They quoted me $3,100 for the kit installed. Is this a good price? I don't no much about lifts so I hope you guys can help me out!!

They also said that I would have to run 20" wheels(which is what I have) that 17" and 18" wheels wouldn't work. Why would this be?

Thanks in advance!!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently contacted a place about having a 4" suspension lift installed. I have a 2012 Ram CC with a Rancho QL level on it. They recommend the BDS 4" suspension lift. They told me that I couldn't use the Rancho QL struts and would have to go back to the stock struts for the BDS kit to work. I thought I have read on hear that people use level kits with there suspension lifts all the time. Is this true that I can't use the Ranchos with a suspension lift??

They quoted me $3,100 for the kit installed. Is this a good price? I don't no much about lifts so I hope you guys can help me out!!

They also said that I would have to run 20" wheels(which is what I have) that 17" and 18" wheels wouldn't work. Why would this be?

Thanks in advance!!

Pretty sure Ive seen members running QLL's and 4" lift kits. I could be wrong though. BDS is a good kit.

The kit seems to avg about $2100 on BDS's site, so factoring in shipping youre paying about $800-$900 in labor for them to install the kit depending where youre located. I could be a little off on my shipping prices, but I always say better to estimate high. Im sure someone will chime in on that.

No you dont have to run 20's.... You can run 17" wheels just fine. There is a few members on here with 17" wheels and 4" lifts. There is no reason you need 20's if you dont want them. Myself I prefer the look of a 17" wheel over a 20" wheel.

I would probably get quotes from a few other places as well.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure about Rancho, but you can certainly run Bilstiens with the lift. If you are looking to save a couple bucks, and don't plan on any hard core offroading, you might look at the Zone lifts. They are the sister company of BDS. I've bee very happy with mine. You can run 17" wheels, and I beleive both the BDS and Zone wesites give you the required backspacing. Both are based on running 12.50's.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure about Rancho, but you can certainly run Bilstiens with the lift. If you are looking to save a couple bucks, and don't plan on any hard core offroading, you might look at the Zone lifts. They are the sister company of BDS. I've bee very happy with mine. You can run 17" wheels, and I beleive both the BDS and Zone wesites give you the required backspacing. Both are based on running 12.50's.

This for sure.

Id probably go with the bilsteins over the rancho.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You can run the Rancho Quick Lifts with the 4" kit however it's going to make the front end nose high. Most guys run Bilsteins set at a lower setting (0.7" or 1.4") to level out a 4" lift. If you want to keep your Rancho's and keep the truck level you'll need to add a rear coil spacer. You're essentially going to be running a 6" lift all said and done.

20" wheels are probably recommended in a certain backspacing because of the steering knuckle design. However you could get away with 17's or 18's provided the backspacing is correct.

$3100 installed sounds about right price wise. Is it just the standard 4" kit or have they offered any upgraded shocks/other parts? I'd make sure that price includes the front end alignment as well.

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THANKS for all the responses guys!! This site is Great!!

Yep the $3100 was for the standard kit. The guy did mention about upgrading to fox shocks in the rear and about steering stabilizers. I didn't get a price on the fox shocks but for the steering stabilizers it was $110 for a single and $188 for dual. Are steering stabilizers something a guy should consider putting on?

Thanks

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Steering stabilizers are essentially useless on a 1500 that has IFS with rack and pinion steering so don't waste your money on those. You'd be much better off putting the money towards the Fox shocks on the back end.

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good!! Thanks for the help!! :waytogo: