Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be careful with Ace Hardware.

Discussion in 'Garage' started by misfit77, Jun 29, 2020.

1. misfit77

misfit77 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    First of all, i am loyal Ace customer.

When you guys are shopping for nuts and bolts check those head stamps.

Recently I wanted better hardware for my winch install. I go to Ace because they go through the Hillman group. I noticed chinese and taiwan made bolts. One location was in the process of restocking. Some boxes were labeled Made in China.

I was under the impression that Hillman was a manufacturer, but maybe they are distributers. Not sure how the whole business works, but I know the markings indicate foreign made.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram likes this.
  2. PandaRam2500

PandaRam2500 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Bighorn 4x4 CrewCab 8' Bed
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    Distributor. You'll see their reps.in the aisles of of the major box stores on restock day. If you have a hardware related question, these are the ones to ask, not the associate that was in the wallpaper section last week. Did it just about an hour ago. Just by looking at the fastner I had in my hand he knew it was automotive in nature. He went straight to the related pull-out (giggle) drawer and I was in luck.

https://www.hillmangroup.com/us/en <----I have no association, just lending a hand to the post.

McBroom likes this.
  3. misfit77

misfit77 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks Panda.

I didn't bother the associates. They are pretty sharp and helpful but they are not in control of purchasing.
    I just fish through the bin for the stuff I want. Most of the time its not critical.
    A 70lb winch hanging sideways can be considered critical.

McBroom likes this.
  4. McBroom

McBroom U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000 Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4L
    Sure nuff. I hung a 3500# winch on my A frame lift and wused grade 8 bolts from tractor supply.
    I use that winch regularly helps alot building smokers n grills.

Black 20 Ram

5. rule18

rule18 Senior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Rebel
    Engine:
    3.6, 3.92 and a Pedal Commander
    Hillman is also found in Lowes and such. Gotta be careful there too, the folks that sort and fill the bins might not have been properly trained... :happy175::happy175::happy175:

6. misfit77

misfit77 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    My Warn Evo VR was supplied with hot dipped galvanized bolts. Google'ing the head stamp...you can get them on Aliexpress.....ech!

7. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    McMaster.com

I know its not as quick as a run to the store, but they are the one place that is very clear about what grade, quality, etc you are getting.

8. misfit77

misfit77 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I've used McMaster, but I have a local Grainger.
    Sadly I think both you have to buy in Quantity.

9. chrisbh17

chrisbh17 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    True, but some of their quantities are pretty normal. 10 of something, etc. The larger stuff especially. Prices are still good even for quantity.

I have a Fastenal in the town I live in but if you walk in without an account number they pretty much condescend until you just want to leave. I also have a small mom and pop nuts/bolts place nearby, but they dont always have the specific stuff (I buy a lot of screws and such for my RC trucks, need metric, 12.9 hex or button cap....most places dont have such specific hardware, nor in smaller sizes like for RC)

10. Elkman

Elkman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    V6
    Country of origin is meaningless. The grade markings is what matters for applications with bolts as fasteners.

What most Americans do not know is that the highest quality products are made in China but designated 'German quality' and they are sold throughout Europe. Second grade is "Japanese quality' and the bottom grade is what ends up at Harbor Freight and Wal-Mart.

There is also a difference in what is produced in Taiwan as they pay higher wages and the people have free education and healthcare and so they focus on German quality products. Many "German" tools, like Eibinstock, are rebranded and sold in the USA and they are actually being manufactured in Taiwan.