Be careful with Ace Hardware.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all, i am loyal Ace customer.

When you guys are shopping for nuts and bolts check those head stamps.

Recently I wanted better hardware for my winch install. I go to Ace because they go through the Hillman group. I noticed chinese and taiwan made bolts. One location was in the process of restocking. Some boxes were labeled Made in China.

I was under the impression that Hillman was a manufacturer, but maybe they are distributers. Not sure how the whole business works, but I know the markings indicate foreign made.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

PandaRam2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn 4x4 CrewCab 8' Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Distributor. You'll see their reps.in the aisles of of the major box stores on restock day. If you have a hardware related question, these are the ones to ask, not the associate that was in the wallpaper section last week. Did it just about an hour ago. Just by looking at the fastner I had in my hand he knew it was automotive in nature. He went straight to the related pull-out (giggle) drawer and I was in luck.

https://www.hillmangroup.com/us/en <----I have no association, just lending a hand to the post.

OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Panda.

I didn't bother the associates. They are pretty sharp and helpful but they are not in control of purchasing.
I just fish through the bin for the stuff I want. Most of the time its not critical.
A 70lb winch hanging sideways can be considered critical.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Thanks Panda.

I didn't bother the associates. They are pretty sharp and helpful but they are not in control of purchasing.
I just fish through the bin for the stuff I want. Most of the time its not critical.
A 70lb winch hanging sideways can be considered critical.
Sure nuff. I hung a 3500# winch on my A frame lift and wused grade 8 bolts from tractor supply.
I use that winch regularly helps alot building smokers n grills.

Black 20 Ram

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hillman is also found in Lowes and such. Gotta be careful there too, the folks that sort and fill the bins might not have been properly trained... :happy175::happy175::happy175:

OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Warn Evo VR was supplied with hot dipped galvanized bolts. Google'ing the head stamp...you can get them on Aliexpress.....ech!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
McMaster.com

I know its not as quick as a run to the store, but they are the one place that is very clear about what grade, quality, etc you are getting.

OP
OP
M

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used McMaster, but I have a local Grainger.
Sadly I think both you have to buy in Quantity.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used McMaster, but I have a local Grainger.
Sadly I think both you have to buy in Quantity.

True, but some of their quantities are pretty normal. 10 of something, etc. The larger stuff especially. Prices are still good even for quantity.

I have a Fastenal in the town I live in but if you walk in without an account number they pretty much condescend until you just want to leave. I also have a small mom and pop nuts/bolts place nearby, but they dont always have the specific stuff (I buy a lot of screws and such for my RC trucks, need metric, 12.9 hex or button cap....most places dont have such specific hardware, nor in smaller sizes like for RC)

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Country of origin is meaningless. The grade markings is what matters for applications with bolts as fasteners.

What most Americans do not know is that the highest quality products are made in China but designated 'German quality' and they are sold throughout Europe. Second grade is "Japanese quality' and the bottom grade is what ends up at Harbor Freight and Wal-Mart.

There is also a difference in what is produced in Taiwan as they pay higher wages and the people have free education and healthcare and so they focus on German quality products. Many "German" tools, like Eibinstock, are rebranded and sold in the USA and they are actually being manufactured in Taiwan.

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Country of origin is meaningless. The grade markings is what matters for applications with bolts as fasteners.

Yeah not sure why people are getting hung up on country of origin. If they were not meeting their grades and shearing then it wouldn’t be long before they would have a ban on importing them.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
On the topic of the quality of fasteners, you can never be too careful. I used to own a nice 2001 19 foot inboard Stingray boat with a Mercruiser inboard engine. After a few years of riding around I noticed a lot of idle vibration. Opened the engine hatch and found the engine rocking more than usual. My dealer found the engine bolts were all either cracked or completely broken. He swapped out the bolts for some he had in stock. Based on "how they looked" he believed the originals were counterfeit. He called the manufacturer (not sure if he called Stingray or Mercury) but they reimbursed him, I never saw a bill. That marina owner is also a Navy officer (retired) who designs nuclear propulsion systems. At about the same time I worked for the Department of Commerce, and saw that my agency's enforcement arm was going after a several companies for importing heavy duty bolts that were fraudulently marked as high strength alloy. These were getting into the supply chain for cars, airplanes, boats, trucks, nuclear plant maintenance parts, etc, etc, etc. This was about 15 years ago.