Bed came loose!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Okay, based on what I'm reading, (1) the camper top was securely fastened to the box (confirmed?), (2) the bed-to-frame bolts were confirmed by a Ram dealer to be loose.

I do not believe that the installation of a camper top automatically voids the vehicle warranty as long as the installation meets the factory specifications. So, (3) what are the factory specifications if there are any?

There's a thing in law called 'reasonable expectation of service.' The post-sale installation of camper tops, tool boxes, etc., is not unusual in the light duty pickup market. Unless there's some feature particularly unique to the camper box that would contribute to the incident, I think Ram is responsible.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 73071 miles

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While they say the dents were caused by the topper, which isnt factory so not their issue, i would fire back that if the topper had not been on there then the bed would have most likey done the denting to the cab instead.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey,

Thanks for the tag! We've been working with Lwarner03 on another forum. Unfortunately, their vehicle warranty states that damage caused by non-Mopar added parts are not covered. You can check out the warranty parameters here: https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/warranty/mopar_parts_accessories_warranty_statement.pdf

Callie
Ram Cares
Thank you for the clarification,hopefully this will help others in the future . It does not seem right , but we all sign 80 pages of documents. It’s in there and was agreed upon . Thanks lawyers.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have to say this story sounds strange. to be only driving fairly slow on a some what flat road or driveway and all the bed bolts loose and only the top corners are dented . there has to be much more to it than that

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I’d certainly agree it’s unusual but I can tell you that under normal use the bed shifted and the cap hit the cab. Only the top corners are dented because that’s where the cap is closest to truck.
Nobody disputes the facts, they simply say they won’t cover it.

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey,

Thanks for the tag! We've been working with Lwarner03 on another forum. Unfortunately, their vehicle warranty states that damage caused by non-Mopar added parts are not covered. You can check out the warranty parameters here: https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/warranty/mopar_parts_accessories_warranty_statement.pdf

Callie
Ram Cares
I would argue that the damage WAS caused by a Mopar part: the bed. If the bed had stayed where it was supposed to there would be no problem and no damage at all.
At best it would be 50/50. If bed doesn’t move, no damage to cab BUT it’s also fair to say if there was no cap there would be no damage to cab. If Ram is holding me responsible for getting a cap they are 50% responsible since the bed that moved was Mopar.
In any case, my intention here was to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing but apparently not.
It seemed prudent to ask the question here because A) manufacturers build many cars every year and I doubt anybody would claim they make NO errors. B) often patterns, if they emerge, are discovered online before your dealership becomes aware of it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would argue that the damage WAS caused by a Mopar part: the bed. If the bed had stayed where it was supposed to there would be no problem and no damage at all.
At best it would be 50/50. If bed doesn’t move, no damage to cab BUT it’s also fair to say if there was no cap there would be no damage to cab. If Ram is holding me responsible for getting a cap they are 50% responsible since the bed that moved was Mopar.
In any case, my intention here was to see if anyone else had experienced the same thing but apparently not.
It seemed prudent to ask the question here because A) manufacturers build many cars every year and I doubt anybody would claim they make NO errors. B) often patterns, if they emerge, are discovered online before your dealership becomes aware of it.
Fawk that 50/50 stuff. Had the bed slid up that hard without the topper on there, then the damn bed would most likely have dented the cab instead.

But like you say…read and weep. Just the way the system works.

Id still keep pushing at them.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many millions of toppers are on the beds of trucks in this country? how many times has this happened? Not many, ram needs to step up.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Bed slid forward, it can't be disputed
The bed bolts had to be loose for it to move, no dispute

maybe the weight of the Topper, may have some how assisted the beds movement
BUT so would the weight of 3 or 4 wheel barrows of sand
sand is not a Mopar Product either
With Sand the bed would have slid forward & made contact with the cab below the rear window.

A question that comes to mind is :

Did the dealership take photos of the bed in the forward position ?
Were the photos taken from the left, right, & rear ?
Did they do everything legally, or were they trying to slip something shady by everyone ?

I don't have the answer

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Ram got out of this easily. As in nobody was seriously injured or killed. I'd make a YouTube video about it and tell everyone to check the security of their beds. I've always been a fan of Ramcares but this is ridiculous.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All I'm seeing is the dealership confirmed the BED, not the topper, shifted forward, causing the top of the topper to dent the cab. A thought or two come to mind; are the frame rails slotted for adjustment, and if so, how long are the slots, and secondly, the dealership says there is no apparent evidence that the bolts had been tampered with. To the first part, if the bolt holes are slotted, is there enough of a slot to allow the entire bed to slide that far to make contact with the cab? To the second part, I would go to the company that installed the topper and ask them directly if they had loosened the bed bolts to install the topper. If not, get it in writing. Then request a sit down with the rep who denied the dent repair, show him the statement from the company, and ask him how did he make the determination the topper caused the bed to slide forward when the techs at the dealership confirmed the bolts had not been tampered with. If all else fails, contact RamCares. My own experience with them was outstanding. Hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GTYankee: the dealership has been very helpful from what I can tell. They took pictures and sent them to their Ram warranty contact. I do not know the exact pictures they took, that was internal. I don’t think the dealership would do anything shady, they own the body shop that would have done the repair and they thought it would be approved. They have nothing to gain by being less than straightforward as they would be paid for their work by Ram.

Demonram: the person in charge of approving or denying my claim is insulated from the public (understandably) so I am unable to plead my case with them, I asked for that opportunity but the service manager said that was not a possibility and told me he had done his best but that it had been denied because the ARE top is a “non-mopar” part.

Thanks everyone for your interest and bright ideas. Unless someone else has their bed come loose I’m inclined to let the thread die. If anything changes I will update.

NCPowerwagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For what it’s worth, I had a warranty claim denied by ram for my seats “tenting” on a 21 75th Anniversary. The dealership That I bought the truck from was very helpful and I had always had a great experience with them. It almost sounds just like yours. They took pictures, said they were sure would be no problem, and would be prepared to do all the work once approved. They called and said that it had been denied because it appeared to be caused by an “outside source”. Truck has 11,000 miles, and always in garage. Only two children, age 9 and 11 ever in rear seat. I called ram customer service and couldn’t get an explanation. Tried ram cares and they couldn’t help. Finally, called another dealer and they had the repairs approved through warranty in one day. The dealership that got it approved, said they believe the other dealership didn’t send up the pictures or give a good description of the problem for whatever reason…. I suspect just lazy. Anyway, the reason for this long post is just to let you know that even though you trust your dealership, there are other options to try and other dealerships that might be able to convince Ram to do the right thing. Doesn’t cost much of anything to try. Sorry you are going through this and I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.