Bed lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrewP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
I also have a 2018 Ram 2500 that I just installed the LED bed lights from Mopar as well as the bed switch. Has anyone been able to use Alpha OBD to allow the bed switch to operate?

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No, I did the same as you a year ago and still have not had the dealer add the sales code. As far as I have seen that is the only way to get the switch to work!! Just don’t want the dealer to touch my truck but....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2019 Ram 1500 Express Classic. Ordered my kit via my VIN through Benny at AllMoparParts. The kit that showed up included the two lights, switch, and harness.

Got everything installed fairly easily all the way up to terminating the pins. F that under dash area FUUUUUUUU! Scratched my hands and arms all to hell.

Instructions call for terminating one pin into C6 pin 26 and C1 pin 5. Well I finally got the C6 connector out and it looked like there was already a wire terminated in 26??

At that point I was already getting sore and tired and sweating like a pig all over the floor (thanks Texas) so I said F it and pulled the wires to the side and buttoned everything back up. Might just take it to the dealer and say finish it. Plus then they can flash the sales code for the switch so that will be functional.

For a moment I thought about doing what Boosted Motorsports did in his YT video and tapping the other wires, but I wasn’t sure how that would affect the functionality of the switch.

After I re-connected the battery I found that opening my front door no longer triggered the interior lights or my amp research steps (rear doors still do). Turning the truck on, I have codes for parking, brake, reverse, and marker lights out (all are LED now and had been set to LED via alphaOBD), my radio display doesn’t come on, annnnnnnd AC button does nothing...lol

I’m guessing I didn’t seat that C6 connector correctly or accidentally gorilla’d something else loose.

That or, the directions called for disconnecting the negative battery terminal and also unplugging a connector right there by the negative terminal as well. I’ve never disconnected that previously. Wonder if that had anything to do with me loosing my LED settings.

EDIT: Took everything apart again this morning. Confirmed I do have a wire already termintated in pin 26 on the C6 connector. Didn't even bother trying to get my hand up to the C1 connector lol. Buttoned everything back up, made sure I plugged in the C6 connector in firmly and locked it in as well as connecting the plug next to the battery prior to re-attaching the negative battery connections. Powered up the truck and all features are back to working as they should. Though I may still need to check AlfaOBD to ensure all my LED changes are still present.

Last edited:

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2019 Ram 1500 Express Classic. Ordered my kit via my VIN through Benny at AllMoparParts. The kit that showed up included the two lights, switch, and harness.

Got everything installed fairly easily all the way up to terminating the pins. F that under dash area FUUUUUUUU! Scratched my hands and arms all to hell.

Instructions call for terminating one pin into C6 pin 26 and C1 pin 5. Well I finally got the C6 connector out and it looked like there was already a wire terminated in 26??

At that point I was already getting sore and tired and sweating like a pig all over the floor (thanks Texas) so I said F it and pulled the wires to the side and buttoned everything back up. Might just take it to the dealer and say finish it. Plus then they can flash the sales code for the switch so that will be functional.

For a moment I thought about doing what Boosted Motorsports did in his YT video and tapping the other wires, but I wasn’t sure how that would affect the functionality of the switch.

After I re-connected the battery I found that opening my front door no longer triggered the interior lights or my amp research steps (rear doors still do). Turning the truck on, I have codes for parking, brake, reverse, and marker lights out (all are LED now and had been set to LED via alphaOBD), my radio display doesn’t come on, annnnnnnd AC button does nothing...lol

I’m guessing I didn’t seat that C6 connector correctly or accidentally gorilla’d something else loose.

That or, the directions called for disconnecting the negative battery terminal and also unplugging a connector right there by the negative terminal as well. I’ve never disconnected that previously. Wonder if that had anything to do with me loosing my LED settings.

EDIT: Took everything apart again this morning. Confirmed I do have a wire already termintated in pin 26 on the C6 connector. Didn't even bother trying to get my hand up to the C1 connector lol. Buttoned everything back up, made sure I plugged in the C6 connector in firmly and locked it in as well as connecting the plug next to the battery prior to re-attaching the negative battery connections. Powered up the truck and all features are back to working as they should. Though I may still need to check AlfaOBD to ensure all my LED changes are still present.

Ended up taking my truck to the dealer to finish the wire terminating, plus I wanted them to flash the sales code for the switch function.

Even the dealer tech. was having issues with the install. Apparently a new wire needed to be run/spliced?-going to try and follow up again and figure out what was the issue and why there was already a wire in Pin26.

Anyways, dealer did get everything sorted and functioning 100%. That afternoon I added the LED strip lights along the bedside and tapped them into the OEM light wiring as many others have. It's definitely convenient having the switch function in the bed.

747f35a392ee368760606ab4c650fdea.jpg

KevCuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gentlemen,
I have a 2018 Ram 2500. I bought the box led kit with harness. Of course when I went to install the led's I discovered the harness for the lights was already there. I plugged them in and using the "MY2018 Power Net" selection of AlfaOBD I added the bed led option. I also bought the push button to put in the bed. There is a stub cable in the harness that has no connector next to the left side led plug. I cut the insulation back and one wire is ground, the other is about 12 volts. I measured current to ground at 10 milliamperes which is what I would expect for a body computer input.

I selected "car configuration change" using "MY2018 PowerNet". The setting is "CBC Config I/O - Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin G16". Change it to "Yes" and start. At that point the bed led's come on by themselves. You can turn them off with the button in the cab or the existing cable under the bed. I used two clip leads to connect the bed switch to the cable stub, and that's it. The button works perfect via clip leads until I get the missing female connector. That is all there is to it in a 2018 2500. In a 1500 you will need a harness, but the point of this long post is....AlfaOBD as of 4-25-2021 does support the 2018-2019 model year in their software and it will enable the push button in the box.