Bed rug or spray in bed liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have never had bed rug but wonder if it would be a good alternative to a spray in bed liner. Opinions or experience?

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
it seems to be a popular option based on other conversations in the forums

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck came with factory spray in. I added a bedrug over it because the spray in is pretty harsh on the knees.

Anther advantage to bedrug is the smooth surface makes it easy to empty out material like dirt, gravel and mulch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hadn't thought about it being easier on the knees. That would be nice since I just had one replaced last year. Thanks.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No comparison, depends on what your use is for. Bed-Rug here and love it, but mines not a work truck either. The down side is it holds anything dirty in the nap and you have to vacuum it to keep it clean, but if you want something more "industrial" for work purposes go with the bed liner.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would do both. The spray in liner is more durable and will help to protect your bed and less likely to let it rust. If you put down just the bedrug, i've seen where the bedrug alone will collect moisture and dirt under it and CAN (not will) cause it to rust sooner without the spray in liner under it. I like the fact that the bedrug does make it easier on the knees and does help to keep stuff from sliding around a little more.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a Bedrug in my last truck and I loved it. Like others have mentioned it is really easy on the knee's since the floor portion is padded. I had a cap/canopy, that had matching colored carpet on the inside which really enhanced the appearance. I guess a lot depends on how you will be using the bed. Good luck with your decision.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a drop in plastic liner with the BedRug mat on top of it. The drop in Pendaliner is getting tossed and I am just waiting for better/consistent weather to spray in my Raptorliner. Then will put the BedRug mat back in.
Absolutely love the BedRug, cushioned and nothing slides. Its a knee saver and will not destroy what you put in the bed to carry. Saves the fishing reels, furniture, etc.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My BedRug is currently full of topsoil....Ive read it should come perfectly clean with a little vacuuming and maybe some pressure washing. Will take before and after pics once I finally get around to it!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I loved my Bedrug, haven't gotten around to getting one for the new truck yet.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have never had bed rug but wonder if it would be a good alternative to a spray in bed liner. Opinions or experience?

I've never used a bed rug but just looking at it I don't think I would consider it an alternative to a spray in bed liner? Seems like they are for 2 different types of use to me? Guess it really depends on what type of stuff you typically haul in your truck?

I like the idea of the rug but my worries with it would be having fuel spilled on it and mold from all the rain and humidity here in Georgia.

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys. It sounds like the bed rug is something I will add. I will probably get the spray in liner as well.

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love my Bedrug. Excellent quality. I have a Tonneau cover so it never see any weather... but its made to withstand weather and any spills.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love my Bedrug. Excellent quality. I have a Tonneau cover so it never see any weather... but its made to withstand weather and any spills.

Have you used it to haul dirt, mulch, etc? Im paranoid mine wont come clean but the weather here is horrible so I cant try to clean it yet (right now there is just a bunch of dried topsoil on it...tonneau cover keeps the weather out though)

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you used it to haul dirt, mulch, etc? Im paranoid mine wont come clean but the weather here is horrible so I cant try to clean it yet (right now there is just a bunch of dried topsoil on it...tonneau cover keeps the weather out though)

I have not, but a buddy just put a bedrug in his truck. He grabbed a couple loads of mulch.. he swept it out and hosed it out.. looked fine.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI - pulled the Bedrug out of the truck (easy enough), flipped it over onto my lawn and that got rid of the big stuff. Broomed it with a shop broom and that got rid of about 80% of what was left. Hit it with an electric pressure washer for about 10 minutes and it was as good as new.

Dried out pretty quickly, especially considering the humidity (it was raining).

Ill probably throw a tarp down next time, but its nice to know I can always fix whatever dirt or mulch mess is there.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
On my 2nd bed rug.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a factory spray in liner in my power wagon, and a bed rug in my half ton. Love em both. It really depends on how you use the bed. If you have a topper and are constantly crawling back there, I would recommend a bed rug without a question. If you are constantly hauling dirt/mulch/scrap metal etc I would probably go for the liner instead. The rug would probably hold up, but I would think the spray in liner would be more durable at that point.

Im tempted to put a bed rug over my spray in liner...

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd go spray in regardless and add the bedrug if you don't use it for dirt,gravel etc and you have bad knees to make it more comfortable climbing around back there.