Bed sides too tall with Gooseneck trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick-R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum (1st post) and new to Ram ownership and have a towing question. I have recently purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4L 4WD with the shorter bed. I have heard several people, both in online reviews and Youtube videos stating that their bed sides on their 5th gen ram are to tall to accommodate a fifth wheel camper with Gooseneck conversion. Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you overcome the issue?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Don't know that it is the 4th gen bed so much as it is higher trucks being used in older trailers designed for lower trucks. You have to just make sure your trailer has clearance needed. Otherwise your option is flatbed replacement of your box. You don't want to raise trailer from axle, you will change center of gravity in a bad way. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

Nick-R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Don't know that it is the 4th gen bed so much as it is higher trucks being used in older trailers designed for lower trucks. You have to just make sure your trailer has clearance needed. Otherwise your option is flatbed replacement of your box. You don't want to raise trailer from axle, you will change center of gravity in a bad way. Good luck.

Thank you for the info. I was finally able to hook up for the first time this weekend. Trailer sits just fine on there!

Festus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Tradesman
Engine
6.7L diesel
HI,
I have a 2020 2500 4x4 diesel Tradesman. Wheels are 18 inch wheels. Just installed a Pullrite 3900 single point 5th wheel hitch. I hooked it up this week and have 6.25 inches of bed rail clearance on my Grand Design 303RLS. The 5th wheel trailer is almost level and I think I will leave it alone. First trip scheduled in Feb.
Festus

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I have had 3 different goosenecks, and all were adjustable using 2 bolts to lock height. The design was so trailer could be made level.