Bed step recall - dealer wants to delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So my dealership just told me the "recall" for my bed step is just removing the step entirely. How's that work out? I pay for a feature then Chrysler deems it unsafe and unbolts it and calls it good?

I don't think so.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think for a recall they have to repair or replace. Seems like remove is not one of the "R's" for fixing a recall. I suppose I could settle for a different "R" as in remunerate to the tune of $400 so I could buy and AMP or Bestep and have it installed.

OTOH they did weld the drag link on the 2500's and call it a temporary fix. They never did fix it right with a new part. FCA did reimburse some RAM owners who bought the aftermarket drag link.

I wouldn't let them remove it without replacing with an updated factory part or equivalent aftermarket part.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
I got a couple of the recall notices but nobody has tried to tell me that their version of fixing it is to remove it. I have the step for a reason- fix it, replace it, or take it all back.
Hopefully they'll also figure out how to really fix the hood from flopping around when there's cross-winds or oncoming traffic on the highway before it gets ripped off. The stops were already adjusted so it's okay on normal, calm highway driving but with approaching vehicles at highway speed and/or crosswinds, it looks like the whole hood gets lifted and flops.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I called Chrysler. They said that's incorrect. Recall W24 is exchange the bracket. Recall W44 is to remove entirely (which is to remove on new unsold Ram's). Don't ask me why.

I called my dealer and informed them and they said ok they'd fix it.

Love how I have to do the legwork for Chrysler.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I called Chrysler. They said that's incorrect. Recall W24 is exchange the bracket. Recall W44 is to remove entirely (which is to remove on new unsold Ram's). Don't ask me why.

I called my dealer and informed them and they said ok they'd fix it.

Love how I have to do the legwork for Chrysler.

You didn’t have to do the legwork for Chrysler. They gave you the correct information when you called. Blame your dealership (who is independent from FCA) for not knowing how to read a recall notice correctly.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
You didn’t have to do the legwork for Chrysler. They gave you the correct information when you called. Blame your dealership (who is independent from FCA) for not knowing how to read a recall notice correctly.

Perhaps. At any rate, I'd say it's confusing in that apparently they need to modify the bracket for people like me, and the ones that are unsold on the lot need to have it removed entirely.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I did not have a bed step on my 2020 so I bought the after market step>>>>>>I see no reason why the step was "Recalled" if it was put on like the one I bought>>>>Very strong to say the least>>>>>Very happy with my AMP and I installed myself so I could see how sturdy this step is>>>>>>>

litzdog911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The removed my bed step before delivering my 2020 2500 in May. I'm still waiting for the replacement :(

SuperBeeMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m in the same boat.

When I made the deal on my truck (2019 2500), the step was on it. Was one of the options I was interested in getting. The bed utility option was $695 and I was happy to pay it. While completing the paperwork, the dealership said they had to do a quick recall before it could be delivered. This was June 1st. It was ready by the time we were done, now missing the step. They told me I would be notified when there was a replacement.

I go back in today asking about my replacement step and they said it will not be replaced because it was removed prior to delivery. WTF, I paid for that step. I call FCA and they said they won’t be replacing it and if I want a reimbursement, that’s something I’ll have to take up with the dealership.

Shame on me for being such a loyal Chrysler customer. It’s amazing they are still in business.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I’m in the same boat.

When I made the deal on my truck (2019 2500), the step was on it. Was one of the options I was interested in getting. The bed utility option was $695 and I was happy to pay it. While completing the paperwork, the dealership said they had to do a quick recall before it could be delivered. This was June 1st. It was ready by the time we were done, now missing the step. They told me I would be notified when there was a replacement.

I go back in today asking about my replacement step and they said it will not be replaced because it was removed prior to delivery. WTF, I paid for that step. I call FCA and they said they won’t be replacing it and if I want a reimbursement, that’s something I’ll have to take up with the dealership.

Shame on me for being such a loyal Chrysler customer. It’s amazing they are still in business.

I genuinely believe there's misinformation going on regarding the step. My dealership was under the impression that mine had to be removed entirely, until I called Chrysler and was told there's 2 different recall courses - one is to modify existing steps on sold trucks, and one is to remove entirely on unsold trucks.

Make sure your dealership is informed as well as Chrysler.

Its on FCA for doing a poor job of communicating.

SuperBeeMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, I think you are right...

Best I can research is the recall has two courses of action. W24 for the trucks with steps that made it out on the streets, and W44 for trucks that have the step removed before delivery. With W24, they will replace it. W44, No replacement. Mine was filed as W44

I should have been made aware of this prior to purchase or the truck should have been removed from the sales lot. My window sticker had this option and my deal was made based on the MSRP and the truck as presented on the lot.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yep, I think you are right...

Best I can research is the recall has two courses of action. W24 for the trucks with steps that made it out on the streets, and W44 for trucks that have the step removed before delivery. With W24, they will replace it. W44, No replacement. Mine was filed as W44

I should have been made aware of this prior to purchase or the truck should have been removed from the sales lot. My window sticker had this option and my deal was made based on the MSRP and the truck as presented on the lot.
No doubt at all, you are entitled to a partial refund.

Svon89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Good luck with getting anything from Chrysler. My truck has been at the dealers shop for more than 30 days because the transmission randomly shifts to neutral. My last call with the Chrysler customer retention rep was interesting. Basically he is the reason I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product. Chrysler doesn’t care about what you paid for, only that they got your money.

Mckisback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They tried to remove mine..I told them unless they had a replacement to leave it. I use this at least once a month.

litzdog911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Time to check with my dealer and see when/if our bed step will be reinstalled.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Good luck with getting anything from Chrysler. My truck has been at the dealers shop for more than 30 days because the transmission randomly shifts to neutral. My last call with the Chrysler customer retention rep was interesting. Basically he is the reason I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product. Chrysler doesn’t care about what you paid for, only that they got your money.

I am really sorry to hear this, if we can help with anything feel free to let us know.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Mark Wolverton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what is the story with the bed step? My dealer advertised my truck with the bed protection package that is supposed to come with the step. The step was removed, and I want it. Can Ram Cares help me?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a couple of the recall notices but nobody has tried to tell me that their version of fixing it is to remove it. I have the step for a reason- fix it, replace it, or take it all back.
Hopefully they'll also figure out how to really fix the hood from flopping around when there's cross-winds or oncoming traffic on the highway before it gets ripped off. The stops were already adjusted so it's okay on normal, calm highway driving but with approaching vehicles at highway speed and/or crosswinds, it looks like the whole hood gets lifted and flops.

There is a Repair/TSB for the hood. Had done on my 2019. Basically they take truck, remove interior lining, and put some type of glue/solvent/whatever it is on the underside. They keep truck overnite to cure. Then they put liner back up and call it good. It helped some. I also have an AVS Aeroskin II deflector on front of hood. That helps a lot more than any glue, lol....

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
There is a Repair/TSB for the hood. Had done on my 2019. Basically they take truck, remove interior lining, and put some type of glue/solvent/whatever it is on the underside. They keep truck overnite to cure. Then they put liner back up and call it good. It helped some. I also have an AVS Aeroskin II deflector on front of hood. That helps a lot more than any glue, lol....
I mentioned this TSB and repair to the dealer but I know it was listed for the 1500's. I'm not sure if the hoods are the same but they tried the adjustments first / instead.