Bed Width on 1500. tool box didn't fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I went to Tractor Supply the other day, grabbed a low-profile box for a full-size truck. Got it out to the truck and it didn't fit between the bed walls. I always thought full size trucks were basically the same side-side. I do have the plastic bed-caps on the truck, but I wouldn't think that was enough to make a standard box not fit.
I just returned that box until I can sort it out.

anybody else seen this or did i just get a fat toolbox?

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you have Ram Boxes I don't think it will fit. But the only issue with a full size box would be the depth of the box based on where your wheel wells are (5'7" vs 6'4" bed). I can't speak for tractor supply, but I have one from Lowes (Kobalt - actually made by Better Built) that's low profile and I've had zero issues with it for the last 6 to 7 years. I also have the bed rails caps on mine.

When you do get one vice putting holes to run bolts through your bed rails U-Bolts will hold it in place with no issues. One on either side, and tighten it down.

OP
OP
gtex1970

gtex1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
i have no RamBox storage. It is a short shortbed. but the length wasn't the issue with the TSC box. It just didn't fit between the bed sides. maybe it was just an odd box.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At least on 4th gens, the 5' 7" beds are an inch or two narrower then the 8ft beds. That might be part of your problem

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
you can find your measurements here

If i read it correctly, it looks like, from inside of rail to inside of rail, it measures 60"

Now being as it is a short bed, ( 5 ' 7 " )

The type of the box really matters

If you want a box that is even with the top of the rails, you will need one that has cut outs for the inner fender

1686187069974.png

The Cross Over Style sits on the side rails & does not touch the bottom of the bed

1686187543642.png

Measure before you buy
Also measure the bed where the tool box will be placed
Do not measure at the tailgate, if the tool box is going to up at the front

moparpeetie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bed width size on a 1500 is narrower than the 2500-3500.
I know this because I went to pick up a RamBar for my 1500 and it was too wide to fit come to find out it was for a 2500/3500. 8+ hour round trip for nothing! Measure first THEN drive! Ha!