BedRug and bed liner - together?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've got a `22 1500 on order, supposedly it will arrive in late October according to the guy at the dealership. I'm going to set it up for camping, with a canopy, a BedRug and some custom woodwork (sleeping platform and storage). What I'm wondering is, would it be a good idea to have a spray-in bed liner (LineX) done first? The logic being that if water does somehow get into the bed under the BedRug, the liner should keep the bed from rusting. Or am I just overthinking this?

OP
OP
GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, that's the main reason for the spray-in liner. What I'm asking is whether it makes sense under the BedRug. I'm concerned that if I DON'T get the spray-in liner, any water that does get in would be held there by the BedRug and eventually cause the bed to rust.

Frank Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 ecodiesel 1500 that has a factory spray in bed and a rug bed liner. They work together well, BUT only if you have a good, very good bed cover.

Without a good bed cover, the rug tends to allow the water to pass through and then get held between it and the spray in liner. As such, while neither seem to get damaged, there is a constant "musty" odor.

I finally broke down and bought a Diamondback bed cover. "Broke" down is right because they are not cheap, but it worked to keep the water out and once I dried out the rug liner, all is great!

Just my 2 cents.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've got a `22 1500 on order, supposedly it will arrive in late October according to the guy at the dealership. I'm going to set it up for camping, with a canopy, a BedRug and some custom woodwork (sleeping platform and storage). What I'm wondering is, would it be a good idea to have a spray-in bed liner (LineX) done first? The logic being that if water does somehow get into the bed under the BedRug, the liner should keep the bed from rusting. Or am I just overthinking this?
I have both in my 14,and the box is in perfect shape under the bedrug,and i'm **** about things being clean,so the bedrug gets hosed out at the carwash several times a year. Doing a bed liner under the bedrug is a good idea in my opinion

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
From what I've seen the bedrugs are breathable allowing it to dry out easily. Second, as long as the paint isn't scratched underneath showing bare steel, the bedrug will not cause it to rot out.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've seen the bedrugs are breathable allowing it to dry out easily. Second, as long as the paint isn't scratched underneath showing bare steel, the bedrug will not cause it to rot out.
I would disagree about bedrugs being breathable or at least mine is not. it is made with closed cell polypropylene.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I sleep in my truck fairly often. Below freezing the steel in the truck bed conducts a lot of cold air.
Years ago I had an old Toyota SR5 with a large canopy that was insulated and covered with carpet. It was warm to sleep in even when conditions where below zero. Adding a bedrug in a truck is a great idea.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I put a bedrug in my 2022 1500 with the 5.7’ Rambox. It has the sprayed bedliner from the factory. Only slight issue is you need to clean the spray on bedliner with alcohol before applying the sticky velcro mounting pieces. No biggie really.
I also install a Retrax PowerPro MX rolling cover. This truck came with the split tailgate. I noticed afterward how much open space there was at the top and sides of the tailgate.
The Retrax does its job, but can’t address that area. I’ve added various seals to that area so we shall see how well it works out. I only have had the truck for 6 weeks.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
How can you sleep in a truck box that is 5 1/2 feet long??