Been a long time! New to me 3500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If any of you lon time members see this and know me, im sad to say Raiden (my white 07) is totalled :(. doing 55 through the clackamas river curves to get home and a deer jumped out to play chicken, like a idiot i tried to get skinny and hug the side of the road (which is a 25ish foot ditch down to somebodies property.) i was confident i could fit but i was wrong, front pass. tire pushed just enough of the mud down to cause it to start sliding down and nothing i could do then, went about 3/4 of the way down into a hard stop thanks to the solid trees, hes toast.
ANYWAYS, that was the push i needed to do what ive been wanting to do and upgrade, found a 2020 3500 CTD LB 4x4, big back doors believe thats called club cab now? its a laramie sport package, its got the Aisin 6 speed and is walnut brown metallic with black interior, 18k miles, same guy who bought it new from my area returned it to the same dealership he bought it from because he always had manuals, thought he would be ok with a auto, drove 18k and decided cant do it lol, they had a 2018 3500 with super low miles so they made him a deal to bring my truck back and sell him that.
This is my first diesel so everything is new to me, trying to learn as much as possible because this is going to be my casket lol "forever truck." Ill post a pic, its 100% stock other than 35's and some rims im not big on so ill sell them and get some new ones at some point

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the upgrade, even though the reason sucks.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man! That old 07 was my baby, i actually cried looking at him, but i am incredibly happy so far with the new truck

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man! That old 07 was my baby, i actually cried looking at him, but i am incredibly happy so far with the new truck

Agree that sucks it had to happen that way, but nice new truck, I love that color and it's not one you see that often.

Oh and it's a crew cab, quad cab is the smaller door setup and of course the heavy dutys also have the mega cab as well. I think club cab was more of a 80s/90s term but I could be wrong on that.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Oh and it's a crew cab, quad cab is the smaller door setup and of course the heavy dutys also have the mega cab as well.
There is no Quad Cab on the DS body HD trucks and the Mega cab only is available with the 6.4' bed. Before any points out the OP has a 2020, it's still a DS body truck per the Ram Body builder designation. Only the 1500s have the DT body.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no Quad Cab on the DS body HD trucks and the Mega cab only is available with the 6.4' bed. Before any points out the OP has a 2020, it's still a DS body truck per the Ram Body builder designation. Only the 1500s have the DT body.

Thanks for the clarification, I did know the heavy duty is still the DS body but wasn't aware that the quad wasn't available. How about regular cabs for the heavy duties? I'd assume they still have to offer those in some capacity?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Thanks for the clarification, I did know the heavy duty is still the DS body but wasn't aware that the quad wasn't available. How about regular cabs for the heavy duties? I'd assume they still have to offer those in some capacity?
Regular cab HD trucks are still available, more than likely the 2-door DT body 1500 trucks will come out when the HD trucks finally switch to the DT body. 2-door trucks are usually a fleet order item, every now and then you'll see one on a lot.
Last year a HD Quad Cab was offered was 2009 but that was not a DS body, 2010 was the first year for the HD lineup.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
The only regular cab trucks in HD are the Tradesman and Bighorn models that are offered.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last ram shopping there was st, slt, big horn (my old one,) laramie, POSSIBLY longhorn but i am thinking no, o and srt, now there is like 109375567 different models and trims lol then there was only single cab, quad and mega, quad cab there way of saying extended cab with 4 door handles lol. Saying quad cab has become a habit but im trying to fix that. speaking of, HOLY BALLS the amount of room this truck has inside vs my 07 is incredible

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Great looking truck Sir. Love it!!

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if i dont end up with some free vaca time before summer i will be taking a few days off to get that paint blingin and protected. Because i detail for a hobby and side work i already have the ceramic for it

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey brother, sorry to hear about Raiden. Love the new one though, that is a great looking RAM.

Let me know when your ready to give it some love!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
bitshen' truck! Enjoy it!

@crash68 - you sure OP's new truck isn't a megacab? That rear door sure looks bigger'n my crew cab.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@crash68 - you sure OP's new truck isn't a megacab? That rear door sure looks bigger'n my crew cab.
There is about an extra 10"-12" of cab behind the rear door on a Mega-Cab, the OP also has an 8' bed which is not available with a MegaCab.
I believe the rear doors on the Crew and the Mega are the same.
2020-Ram-2500 Mega Cab-side.png

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If any of you lon time members see this and know me, im sad to say Raiden (my white 07) is totalled :(. doing 55 through the clackamas river curves to get home and a deer jumped out to play chicken, like a idiot i tried to get skinny and hug the side of the road (which is a 25ish foot ditch down to somebodies property.) i was confident i could fit but i was wrong, front pass. tire pushed just enough of the mud down to cause it to start sliding down and nothing i could do then, went about 3/4 of the way down into a hard stop thanks to the solid trees, hes toast.
ANYWAYS, that was the push i needed to do what ive been wanting to do and upgrade, found a 2020 3500 CTD LB 4x4, big back doors believe thats called club cab now? its a laramie sport package, its got the Aisin 6 speed and is walnut brown metallic with black interior, 18k miles, same guy who bought it new from my area returned it to the same dealership he bought it from because he always had manuals, thought he would be ok with a auto, drove 18k and decided cant do it lol, they had a 2018 3500 with super low miles so they made him a deal to bring my truck back and sell him that.
This is my first diesel so everything is new to me, trying to learn as much as possible because this is going to be my casket lol "forever truck." Ill post a pic, its 100% stock other than 35's and some rims im not big on

alejes02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the exact same engine/tranny setup in a 2018 tradesman. Like you, I bought it as my "last truck forever" setup since I'm getting up there in years and am on a fixed income. I chose that setup because of its reliability, durability, and knowledge that if I just stayed on top of the maintenance, I will never need to visit a dealer again.

As for the rest of the truck, well...it's my 5th Dodge/Ram and I've come to expect some of the little things going wrong. This version seems to be much better in that regard, but it still has had a few issues--a bad wheel speed sensor (common) and a defective parking brake assembly (uncommon). I also had to replace the egr filter and clean the assembly at 50k instead of the recommended 67k (probably a result of having the HO version of the CTD). You have to drain and fill the fluid on the Aisin every 30k, with a pan drop and filter replacement every 60k--but that's relatively easy to do. That's the price for having the strongest transmission on the market I suppose.

A few tips--change the fuel filter/water separator yourself and you'll save about $300 in labor costs. It's easy once you learn how to do it. Also, get used to always using your full exhaust brake. Soot on the turbo actuator and vanes tends to build up over time and you can end up having to replace the whole thing for a pretty expensive price. Once you get used to driving that way, you'll wish all of your vehicles had an engine brake. I saw a post from a hot shotter a while back with 300k on his Cummins who said he has yet to replace his brakes (or his turbo) because of using the engine brake, so it saves you time and money as well.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio