Been working on rebuilding a very trashed and rusted 318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTTSshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993/1976
Engine
Cummins
So, I've never rebuilt an engine fully before, only done top end work.
So I figured the best way to learn would be to do it in the hardest way possible. Start with an engine that is borderline unsalvageable and then, try to do the machine work myself! What could possibly go wrong? I really should have been posting on here in real time so that when I do something stupid, ya'll could tell me about it, but again, I'm not trying to do any of this with even a scrap of logic, apparently.
Anyway, here is the starting point.
20201109_105240.jpg
At this point I was quite sure I would be throwing it all away but after some more digging, I found the Crank shaft was in pretty good shape and other than rust pitting, so was the block.

20201110_122950.jpg
So I actually started with the heads, They were rough to say the least but the valve guides were clean, so I plugged those up and sandblasted the rest.
vlave.jpgdirtyhead.jpg
They cleaned up ok but I would need to recut the valve seals and while I'm at it, I may as well port and polish!
port polish.JPG
The valve cutters I got were very mediocre but after a bunch of fiddling I think I got them to work okay.
cutvalve.jpg
This is all just build up for the main event though. Because for some reason, since I own a vertical mill it gives me the belief that I can machine an engine in my garage.
I'll update more later but if you want to skip ahead, I've been making videos.
Part one on the engine
Part two on the engine

And the Car that the engine and frame will go under.
Did I mention that even though this is a 1987 D150, it's all going under a 1950 Studebaker?