Before I purchase this camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Ratman how do you like towing with the 2500. I am near to buying one right now but after towing a cpl. thousand miles last week I am a little skittish about the towing mileage of the 2500 6.4

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ratman how do you like towing with the 2500. I am near to buying one right now but after towing a cpl. thousand miles last week I am a little skittish about the towing mileage of the 2500 6.4
We just got back from a 1900+ mile trip pulling the camper. It tows our camper like a dream...except for gas MPG. While towing I got as low as 6.7 MPG on one tank and a best of 8.6 on another. Average for the trip was 7.5 MPG. Paid as low as $3.92/gallon in MN and as high as $5.19 at a road side ripoff joint on the IL tollway outside of Chicago (avoid unless there is no other way!). I'm not complaining. This is about what I expected. Given that diesel was usually $1/gallon more. I spent $1250 on gas for this trip. I'll have to go back and do an estimate of how nmuch differ3nt it 2ould be for a diesel.

The trailer pulls nice and steady. I'm using a WDH even though it's recommended in the manual, not mandatory. It only squats about 2 inches in the rear and 3/4 inch rise on the front without the bars on the WDH. I'm only taking back 1/4 inch of the rise with the bars on but having them on let's me use the sway control features of the WDH..not strictly needed either but it's an extra margin of safety.

Engine: it's not a diesel. It likes to run in the 2000 to 3000 RPM range causing down the interstate. On flat ground its mostly in 7th gear but downshifts further with head winds or any kind of hill. But one thing I've noticed is that higher RPM does not always mean higher gas usage. When using tow/haul mode its a lot more aggressive about downshifting so it tends to keep the revs up. Turning tow/haul off will sometimes have it upshift to a higher gear but watching the instantaneous MPG, it doesn't improve when the revs drop. After experimenting with this, I ended up leaving it on all the time when the camper is hooked up. Anyway, it's exactly what I expected from a gas engine pulling this trailer. I don't feel like the truck is being beat up..it's functioning exactly as designed.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
That's been my experience as well towing a roughly 8000# travel trailer. 7-10 MPG. I figured that I can go roughly 180-200 miles on a tank before I have to start looking for a gas station. I've towed all over with it, flat grounds, mountains, and it does it all exceptionally well. Some people worry about the higher RPM's but fail to realize that's where gas V8's make their peak power and torque. Coming down 6-8% grades my truck will sit at 4000-4500 RPM. Not a lot of engine braking, but usually enough to where I only have to apply brakes a few times to keep it around 50-55 mph.

djtomy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree tongue weight is my problem also. IMG_9359.jpg