Beginning of HEMI tick or piston slap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use penzoil 5w30 syn thats what i use in all my hemi engines appear to run quieter it and if those where hot starts wow I mean it has happened to me on hot starts but not that common at all.
PUP is the most readily available oil I can grab. Not sure what’s in it now. Whatever the dealer put in. My cold starts are mostly quiet it’s only when the oil starts to thin out and engine gets up to temp that the truck starts getting noises

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This unfortunately is a warm start. I had shutoff the truck maybe an hour before this. I will definitely be using a better oil and filter than what’s on it on the next oil change. Redline is hard to get where I am so I will have to see what’s close.
partsource has redline ..not cheap anymore around 20.00 a quart plus tax

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
KandN filters are paper unless something changed, three issues with that, they don't filter as good, don't flow as good, and stiffen with use early in an interval. Other then that they are great, ha?

Find a spun microglass filter, even if it is wix xp which would be last choice, but better then paper. Alteratively, find a blended spun glass filter such as m1 filters. PM me if you get that redline and we can chat about interval. Put 2010 ram, not 2016, in any fitament chart for the larger size filter options. Very few said they don't fit, so just in case have a back up plan.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
KandN filters are paper unless something changed, three issues with that, they don't filter as good, don't flow as good, and stiffen with use early in an interval. Other then that they are great, ha?

Find a spun microglass filter, even if it is wix xp which would be last choice, but better then paper. Alteratively, find a blended spun glass filter such as m1 filters. PM me if you get that redline and we can chat about interval. Put 2010 ram, not 2016, in any fitament chart for the larger size filter options. Very few said they don't fit, so just in case have a back up plan.
Interesting I didn’t know that. I thought they were that micro glass material. I could be wrong.
Thank you we will definitely be in touch

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the oil filter thread page one, they are the best paper filter, but still paper unless something has changed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Looks like something did change, but honestly just dumb imo, why not go 100% spun rather then blend? I have no idea, but blended are not as good as 100%. From kn..

K&N's pleated synthetic-blend filtration media

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The cheapie K&N filter in the SP black can is paper. The HP white can with the welded on removal nut is a synthetic blend. Now WalMart is selling a black can SO filter with the synthetic blend material. It appears to be the white can without the nut. I confirmed this with technical support over at K&N.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just an alternate thought, my 5.7 ram engine had a somewhat similar sound when I drove by the half concrete walls in a parking garage. The recording is hard to really tell for sure if it's identical, but I thought I had an engine problem and turned out to be the broken header bolt issue. I had three of them that were broken and had them replaced and sound went away. Have you checked to make sure none of those are broken on your truck? Not saying that is it.

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like something did change, but honestly just dumb imo, why not go 100% spun rather then blend? I have no idea, but blended are not as good as 100%. From kn..

K&N's pleated synthetic-blend filtration media
Fair point. I will have a look to see what I can find!

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapie K&N filter in the SP black can is paper. The HP white can with the welded on removal nut is a synthetic blend. Now WalMart is selling a black can SO filter with the synthetic blend material. It appears to be the white can without the nut. I confirmed this with technical support over at K&N.

Now that is good info to know. I wonder if these microglass filters are cheaper than the K&N were paying $25CAD for these things

OP
OP
G

Galahad144

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an alternate thought, my 5.7 ram engine had a somewhat similar sound when I drove by the half concrete walls in a parking garage. The recording is hard to really tell for sure if it's identical, but I thought I had an engine problem and turned out to be the broken header bolt issue. I had three of them that were broken and had them replaced and sound went away. Have you checked to make sure none of those are broken on your truck? Not saying that is it.
Not saying it couldn’t be a combination of things, however there is a distinct metallic inconsistent tapping noise at idle that I haven’t posted here that I believe is related to the noise I have posted

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you get all bent out of shape, reach in thru the wheel wells and check to see if the heat shield is loose. That would indicate you have loose and or missing manifold bolts. I was in the dealership for a different warranty issue and asked the mech if he heard a ticking sound. Nope, but found missing and sheared bolts!

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like we have about the same truck, red sport, mine is a 14 ,just about 80KM.
I have hearing aids , blue tooth to the lap top ,and phone, But when I crank the sound up, that hand noise or handling the phone is just too much, so can't really say.
My wife hears stuff all the time.
I would check the manifold as was mentioned, I have never had any problem , so far with any of mine.
And if you just bought the truck , I would change the oil and filter, I just run the standard 5/20 full syth. BTW , temp out side now is -31 and getting colder. 9.30pm Coffee time. Welcome.
In Sask.