Belltech 3” drop leaf springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone here tried Belltech’s 3” drop rear leaf springs (part number 5988)? Would love to hear some feedback on these regarding handling/ride/axle wrap/etc

My 360k+ mile truck is still riding on original leaf springs with McGaughys drop shackles. Seriously considering going to Belltech leaves with stock shackles to get a touch lower out back and hopefully improve handling without destroying the ride.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will be stiffer with lowering leafs

OP
OP

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m sure it will...question is how much stiffer and how is the trade off between better handling and rougher ride.

nathantc

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 sxt 120
Engine
3.7 V6
i too am looking for answers to this. would like some photos of the truck with ONLY the rear springs installed as well. Not trying to hijack, just no need to start a new thread to get the exact same answers you are looking for. I personally only want to level my truck (2008 2d 120" wb) i highly doubt shackles will do the trick and im betting they make the ride terrible.

20200920_154744.jpg

OP
OP

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bump...is there really nobody on this forum that has tried the bell tech leaves?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I cannot speak personally on it, I can say when I was lowering my old Dakota, I was warned away from the Belltech leafs as they rode harsh and killed payload capacity.

I'd say go with a flip kit, notch (if needed) and remove the overload spring (for ride quality). It's a solid days worth of real labor, but damn it's nice afterwards.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have them on the rear of my quad cab 4wd. I can't really tell any difference in ride quality over the stock springs. Originally had 2" shackes, but I added 2" drop spindles/knuckles on the front and wanted a little more in the rear so I swapped out the springs to the 3" Bell Tech and installed the stock shackles back on.

OP
OP

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thank you! Do you have any pics of your truck as it sits now? Have you noticed any difference in handling or axle wrap/wheel hop?

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a pic of it. I don't have any axle wrap or wheel hop, if it starts to spin it just blows the tires off like normal, nothing extra going on. Rides as good or better than stock, but the most I've pulled with it is a 19' jetboat with a BBC on a tandem trailer. No complaints. Shackles were easier to install by far though without a second set of hands. I have my 2" drop shackles laying around if anyone wants those to try first. truck.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks great! Appears to be quite a bit lower (more than 1”) that stock leaves with 2” drop shackles. Would you mind measuring distance from ground to top of wheel well front & rear?

I have stock height front with 2” rear shackles, and wonder if the belltechs with stock shackles would put the rear noticeably lower than a stock height front suspension.

thanks again!

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I’ll measure them as soon as I can. Probably in the morning. Most people don’t realize it’s actually a 4wd anymore.