Bench testing fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m 99% sure my current fuel pump is dead. I’m going to drop the tank and remove it and wondering how I can bench test it. Or more specifically, I plan to go to the junkyard and pull one off another 2nd Gen and need to test it there in the yard.

assuming if I ground it and then put 12V to the proper connector that it should ...start humming or something so that I know it works.

don’t want to get one, bring it home, install it in tank and connect to truck/wiring harness to see whether it works or not. Then I’d have to go back to junkyard and start all over again.

thank you.

jay

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That should work, but be careful. Sparks and fuel don't mix well :)

It won't be an accurate test but will at least tell you if it runs and sounds normal.

OP
OP
jpilk99

jpilk99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That should work, but be careful. Sparks and fuel don't mix well :)

It won't be an accurate test but will at least tell you if it runs and sounds normal.

Thanks Paco. Any idea of the pinouts on the fuel pump? I can’t find an image of one to know what’s ground and what’s power...

And I’ll be mindful of sparks .
Thank you!!

Jay

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you looked at your fuel pump connector? I would think that the pump should have 2 larger wires than the other wires but do not know off hand.

According to one wiring diagram, it should be a Black wire (ground) and a dark green with black tracer wire for the power.

CupidStunt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9 Triton V-6
1) I just replaced mine in my 95 3.9l for $51. Is it worth savings over that for using an unknown filter.
2) How do you know the fuel filter is ok on a used model?
3) Even if it pumps fuel how reliable is the fuel injection pressure regulator?
Those are my thoughts on it