Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Benefit of 8 speed?

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Power Wagon' started by Buttyman, May 14, 2020.

1. ALRedneck

ALRedneck Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    My six speed in my 2018 has been as good as any 6 speed I’ve owned. It sounds like the ZF just makes all the transmissions look bad. That must be one hell of a transmission and I am purposely not driving one so I don’t know what I’m missing!

El Huapo likes this.
  2. RandomRam

RandomRam Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    This is exactly the case. ZF knows their stuff and the 8HP line is the best transmission on the market right now. Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, BMW, and Audi all use the 8HP. The shift quality of the 8HP blows the competition away.

The 66RFE is not bad at all compared to its competition. GM’s 6L90 is a lazy slug empty or loaded and they crippled their new gas engine with it. Ford’s Torqshift-G is probably the best gas 6 speed auto, but it still doesn’t keep the engine in the power band like the 8HP. The 6.4 Hemi with the 8HP holds gears and shifts like a sports car.

Hopefully ZF builds Ram an 8HP that will survive behind the Cummins. If they did that Ram would be way on top.

Shilde, El Huapo, RVGuy and 2 others like this.
  3. transpartsnow

transpartsnow Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have done many hours of research and made training materials on the 8 speeds and six speeds transmission. The six-speed is a better choice IMO

4. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    They have been R&D an 8spd for behind the CTD, I've seen the test mules. It's the Powerline transmission and variants are intended for light to medium duty trucks.
    There is a video of a early version in a 3500:

El Huapo and G. Mcpherson like this.
  5. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:

Training materials?

How could the 6 speed possibly be even remotely as good, let alone better, than the 8 speed?

Shilde, El Huapo and crash68 like this.
  6. olyelr

olyelr Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    And I am not trying to be a dick about it, just seriously wondering how you came up with that. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into it.

El Huapo likes this.
  7. Sandevino

Sandevino Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Link? Where can we find said material as I’m genuinely intrigued. Which transmission facility are you affiliated with?

El Huapo likes this.
  8. Travelin Ram

Travelin Ram Senior Member

Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
    Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I don’t see it as more speeds are always better. If that was the case CVT’s would be taking the automotive world by storm, and they’re not. If you’ve driven one, then you know why. It’s just not satisfying or engaging to drive.

I was never impressed with the Chrysler six speed implementation, personally I like the Ford programming and response when it comes to a six speed.

I also owned a GM 8 speed truck, and while responsive, it was just annoying to drive. Constantly gear hunting, and the shifts were all quite perceptible. Programming by some boy racer wannabe maybe. But just irritating to me.

By comparison the ZF is always in the right gear, the shifts are crisp but seamless, it’s almost like it’s reading your mind and knows what you want. It’s a complicated thing to get all the mechanical and software components of a modern engine and transmission to work that well together, and Chrysler has pulled it off.

Breaker Alex and El Huapo like this.
  9. Scotts26

Scotts26 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Care to share the findings of your extensive research? Or your opinion on WHY the 6 speed is a better choice than the 8?

El Huapo likes this.
  10. RVGuy

RVGuy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I can't for the life of me find it again, but I remember reading an article about a year ago that hinted that ZF was already in the process of making an 8 speed transmission for the diesel heavy duty market. I would be not at all surprised if we saw an 8 speed Cummins in the near future.

El Huapo likes this.