Benifits of turning off MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OGsohcHondaLOVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wondering some of your thoughts on turning it off. How will it effect overall driveability? Fuel Mileage concerns? I have a S/C VIVID and I think it had the option in advanced tuning under one of the menus. Just wonder if it's worth the time to go back and turn off, or if its just that most turn it off because they hate the way that they can feel it turn off and on.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned it off about 5 years ago and never looked back. It didn't affect MPG here. My truck drives better and feels stronger with it off. I had a 2004 (no MDS) and with MDS off, my 2008 feels as strong as my 2004. I couldn't say that when MDS was on.

Plus that very annoying MDS fart with aftermarket exhausts goes away.

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The biggest issue I have with MDS is that it I live in a place with a whole lot of hills.
So it engages, the truck bogs down, then shifts and revs up, makes keeping a constant speed kind of a pain in the ass.

If I lock it down into 4th, it rolls with ease over all the hills, and best I can tell, no harm to my MPGs.

That being said, out on the highway, especially in lower flat-lands like Arizona, I can really see a difference (2-3 mpg) in my MPGs if I have the cruise set around 69 and let the MDS do it's job.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On 2009+ trucks I believe MDS was implemented much better, so WhiteExpress's experience sounds about right.

For 2008 and below; I think it's a worthless feature.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On 2009+ trucks I believe MDS was implemented much better, so WhiteExpress's experience sounds about right.

For 2008 and below; I think it's a worthless feature.

i think for all the years its a worthless feature i have never gotten better mpg with my 2008 or my 2012 in city or highway i actually get worse with it on

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i think for all the years its a worthless feature i have never gotten better mpg with my 2008 or my 2012 in city or highway i actually get worse with it on

Thanks for the info! :)

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
on my 2008 i didnt have the evic available so i couldnt tell what it was doing but it never gave me any sort of good milage with it.. now on my 2012 rt i can be on the highway going 65 and be getting somewhere over 20(what the evic shows not sure if i believe it) with it on and i can set the truck into the manual mode and leave the gear in 6 and keep getting that same milage so i just turned it off with the trinity plus it seems to drive smoother without it coming in and out all the time

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
With my G8 I kept DOD on (GM's MDS) and as a DD I LOVED it. I drive 95%+ highway so it was VERY nice to have. On the car it kicks on at any speed. I set the cruise at 73mph and it works. That's the benefit of not pushing a brick wall through the air. lol

That being said, DOD is going bye-bye. All the parts and everything. I'm going for broke! (wallet not car) ;)

Eric

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 4X4 Outdoorsmen Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think i may go back and turn mine off as well. I have a 2012 and I rarely drive on the highway so not really concerned with MPG's at the present time. My concern though is how much of a pain in the **** its gonna be to go back and change it. i have the new Bully dog GT for Hemi and have been hearing horror stories about the unit locking up etc........

jpl2407

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First thing I did when I got my SC3865 was turn the MDS off, I really dislike it, as previously mentioned it never felt right with it engaged, that almost hesitation when you put your foot down was annoying, now, with MDS off, I put my foot down, the truck responds immediately, I love it :)

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
My 07 had the helicopter/vibration issue a lot of the older 07's had with MDS... I turned it off with T/H mode for a while and finally got so sick of the BS I replaced the truck with my 3500 CTD.. I haven't looked back at all. Best I EVER got out of m 07 1500 was 14mpg, MDS or no MDS.. When I towed our trailer (camper) I was under 10.. usually 8/9mpg.. CTD I'm between 17/19mpg empty and 14 towing.

Hemi lights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I deactivated MDS with the Bullydog Platinum GT Tuner on my 2013 Crew Sport when I installed Super Pro 9000 Spintech muffler didn't like the the sound when it switches to 4 cylinders. The only way to shut it off MDS is with a tuner tow haul mode and manual shifting doesnt work with a 8 speed .Hoping it doesn't change MPG from what I've read here doesn't sound like it. Can easily be activated again if so but i doubt i will.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's great and worthwhile on my Charger, but I could never see it being much use in a heavy truck. There's a reason the HD's don't get it...

Hemi lights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Turned MDS off with the Bullydog on my 2013 Sport Installed a Spintech Pro 9000 didn't like the switching to 4 cylinders sounded like a hornet nest but with the factory muffler wasn't bad and as far as MPG time will tell.