Best 1/2 ton configuration for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If 4 wheel drive is not a must, then the smaller cab 2x4 will give you the highest payload capacity. Payload is where 1/2 tons run short for TT towing.
The big question is what is the tongue weight of the trailer. If you already own it then take down to the scales loaded and find out. Then take that number and add it to what you put in the truck, i.e. people, kids, dog, wood in the bed (don't understand why people do this but??) and if this is under the payload referenced on the trucks door then you are good.
Just remember after you buy it and add all the "truck stuff" that will decrease the payload as well, i.e. bed cover, step boards, etc.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I tow a 28' 6000# travel trailer with my 1500 laramie. I have the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 gears and the 8HP75 trans with the 5.0 first gear. also the 33 gal tank and the off road package that gives a little lift and hd shocks. I changed out the sway bar to an hd one and I put airbags on the rear. I run 25# in them when towing and I add a few pounds to the tires when towing. I have the Husky centerline wdh. this setup pulls the trailer well and I get 8.5-10 towing at 68-69 mph. the brakes on these trucks are great and I set the controller at 5.5 for my trailer.