Best A/T tire for towing at a Reasonable price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2818micheal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Well this one is kind of a cross over thread but I figured this would be the best place to put it so what is everyone using for tires my revision were pretty good right at 40k + miles and we’re a decent ride and fairly quite but a bit pricey in the 20” wheels so looking for something else! I drive. 2011 4.7 and tow a 27’ TT alot

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided on the LT rated BFG KO2's. They are wearing well and really stiffened up the rear end while towing our TT.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I run something not Aggressive , but I have had nothing but great things to say about the Cooper ST Maxx, it runs great in any terrain and towing my 11k 38’ trailer they stand up really well.

My father-in-law runs the Cooper AT3 and they are tough as nails too, towing his 35’ fifth wheel a lot.

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I run Nitto Terra Grappler G2. XL rated and have a 116 load index. A lot better than the OEM Goodyears. I would check into General Grabber HTS60's. 119 load index. Not an AT tire, but it looks like a good tread pattern. I think they are listed at about $160 or so.

GENERAL_GRABBER_HTS60_53.jpg

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have about 47k miles with 15k-ish of that towing on my KO2s, and they need to be replaced. They have served me well, and had good traction up until a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I second the Cooper ST Maxx. Great traction in all conditions and higher load capacities than many others.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t know about “reasonable price” but I’m a fan of Yokohama Geolandar tires. I had them on my last truck and they were awesome. Great snow and rain traction, fairly quiet on the freeway, and look like a truck tire should look.

I’ve looked at the LT version but I think I could get by with the regular A/T version.

gofish101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Outdoorsman CC
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t know about “reasonable price” but I’m a fan of Yokohama Geolandar tires. I had them on my last truck and they were awesome. Great snow and rain traction, fairly quiet on the freeway, and look like a truck tire should look.

I’ve looked at the LT version but I think I could get by with the regular A/T version.

I had the Yokohama G015 P rated version on my last truck and they were great. My current truck a 2018 Outdoorsman came with the G015 LT version on them and they are great as well. A little stiffer and catch and throw a little more rocks than the P"s but no one tailgates me.:)
Overall I would have to say these are the best tires I have had on any of my trucks.
I liked the look of the Cooper AT3 and when I bought them they were reasonably priced. The problem was after a year and about 20,000 miles they started to loose traction on wet and snowy roads. They were so bad that I replaced them ... with the G015.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I decided on the LT rated BFG KO2's. They are wearing well and really stiffened up the rear end while towing our TT.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I had these on a truck for a while. Did great towing or empty, and pretty decent off-road or heavy snow, too.

Then I discovered General Grabber AT2's. Similar construction, almost identical tread, same weight ratings. When I found them they were a 45% savings over the BFG's. That's down to about 25% the last time I looked 2-3 years ago. Every bit as good performance as the BFG's too.

Nick Redmond

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally prefer mud terrains because of the area I’m in and what I do with the truck.

I’ve got the Yokohama geolander G005 mud terrains in size 35 12.50 R20 and they ride 10x better then the nitto terra grappler Ats. And With a 12k trailer they support the weight really well

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I will also be replacing the OEM Transforce AT's on my 2500 in the next couple of months... spoke with my tire guy about which brands to consider (he carries many). His first question was how many miles are on the truck and how deep is the tread. When I replied 22,500 miles and 4-6/32", he said I was lucky to have gone that far, as truck tires on a medium duty Diesel powered truck towing a trailer fairly often are usually good for ~20,000 miles. His recommendation was another set of the Firestones, although Cooper, Continental, and Michelin are good, too. We will compare load ratings based on my most recent CAT scale numbers. While I do not need serious off-road capability, something with decent traction (along with load capacity and tread life) will be my choice. The 'stones have (surprisingly) not been all that bad, and are currently still safe, but after my next trip, I will be spending some money on tires.

In the past, I have used Cooper, Conti, and Michelin with no problems, but they were on smaller vehicles.