Best Brake Rotors and Pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoRising

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 Laramie Crew Cab and my Semi Metallic breaks Squeal like **** hound. Dealer says they have glazed over and will time and time again with Factory Semi Metallic pads. I have decided to put new Ceramic brakes Pads on but not sure what Brand and If I should do new rotors. I tow a few times a year about 7000 pounds. Other than that the trucks runs the highway and side streets around the lake I live on. Anyone else have this problem and do an upgrade? Or has anyone had any luck getting this issue covered by dealer? It seams everyone I talk to with a 14 or 15 Ram has this problem.
Thanks

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ebc yellow stuff. This will be one of my next upgrades including r1 concepts drilled and slotted rotors.
I have always used ebc pads on my previous vehicles and they bite hard and never had them glaze over. And I drive fast and am hard on the brakes. I would definitely try ebc minimum the yellow stuff.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
IMO the stock brakes are horrible.

EBC is very good but a little pricey. I decided to try Powerstop because of the price and am running their drilled/slotted rotors and pads with great results. My truck stops on a freaking dime now and it has no problem stopping my trailer either.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I'm happy with my Wagner thermo quiets. With drilled and slotted rotors.

Also flushed the brake fluid too. Of course I had 50K when I changed it.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brakes are ~application-specific~. What works for one may not work for another.

I've heard good things about EBC, but have not tried 'em myself.

Also had a Co-worker rear end another car because he had EBC 'Full Race' (red?) pads on his Camaro that would not grip right until they were first warmed up,,, (At least, that was his explanation)

IMHO, and in general,,,, Ceramics have been shown to fade less, than Semi-m, but Semi-M have a slightly stronger initial bite,,

Probably hard to beat slotted/drilled and 'performance' pads for braking ability, but then longevity of each could be a factor,,,

In all honesty, I'm not sure what I would chose as my needs are pretty minimal.

That, and I actually haven't changed a set of brakes in any of my personal vehicles since,,, eh,, Jeez,, before 1995,,, (Yes,, It's been over 20 years since I've replaced brakes in any of my personal vehicles)

95 GMC truck. OEM brakes when traded in on a 2000 Chebby (Can't remember the mileage)
2000 Chebby. 155,000 miles on OEM brakes when traded in on 09 RAM.
09 RAM - ~78,000~ miles on OEM brakes when traded in on 14 RAM.

As always,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, YMMV

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Summit has a not so expensive set of cross drilled rotors. was planning on giving them a try.
left side
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-br-67053l/overview/year/2011/make/ram/model/1500

Right side
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-br-67053r/overview/year/2011/make/ram/model/1500

is it a myth that ceramic pad put excessive wear on stock rotors? ive always ran S-metalics for this reason, they wear faster and have more dust but prolong rotor life from my experience and pads are cheaper than rotors in alot of cases.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yup, Got them for $30 when they were having there rebate thing.

I had wondered if these would be a 'best of both worlds' rotor:

R-300 Performance Rotors - Raybestos Brakes

Doesn't look like they have an application for our RAMS,,,

(I do admit, the drilled/slotted do look nice!)

A lot of people claim drilled rotors will crack. But under normal driving they will be fine. I've used them for over a decade and never had a issue.

They become a problem when you go auto-xing which I doubt any of our trucks will see..lol

This is the rotors I use. Love the black hats
Front Rear Full Set of 4 Performance Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors | eBay

70802.jpg

OP
OP
M

MojoRising

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks For the reply's guys. I spoke with the dealer today and they said for sure the Semi-Met. sucks and are prone to noise. They said I could just upgrade the pads and not worry about rotors. Anyone know if I do that for the cost savings if I should turn the rotors or just leave me? They are smooth and true. My only complaint is the dang noise. Other than that I have been happy with the stopping power. Have any of you running Ceramic have an noise show up

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you still have lows miles, I wouldn't see a problem just changing the pads.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They become a problem when you go auto-xing which I doubt any of our trucks will see..lol

Mine will once its a toy. Nothing professional just for fun like I used to do my 67 mustang 16 years ago... but I think alot has changed in Auto X since I used to dabble in it.

I think the R/T would make a Great X rig with a little tuning of the susp/ brakes and power

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the R/T would make a Great X rig with a little tuning of the susp/ brakes and power

I've seen a few trucks on a road course. I know we love our trucks on here but a truck would be the last thing I would want to auto x..lol

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's actually alot of trucks out there that run the circuit, you'd be surprised on how many handle.. plus everyone can run a car. Keeping up with a more challenging vehicle just makes it that much funner

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't say nobody used trucks. I knew a one guy with a with Dakota rt and another with a lighting that auto crossed. It was cool no doubt, but for me I rather have a car. Ever been in MR-2? Funniest time of my life.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Who likes to play with a handicap?

If it excites you, then I suppose there's value in that,,, but why limit your handicap with semi-capable light duty truck?

If you want a challenge, go all in with a class C motorhome,,,

Last edited:

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
What does any of this crap posts above have to do with the Ram? I just upgraded my brakes 12000 miles. The stock crap sucks. I went with ebc slotted and dimpled sport rotors and yellow pads all around. I also upped the front brake lines to stainless braided and flushed the fluid to race type with higher boiling point. Truck stops on a dime now! With the 10ply 34" tires I noticed weak stock brakes and wanted more. Ebc is def worth the money and I found a good sale and priced matched through auto anything. Plan ahead.:3681700201_eef6d1e2

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe you should auto-X that truck,,,

Looks like your trying to make it go faster and slow down quicker, so why not?

Last edited: