Best Mods for Under $100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
IMG20240412052838.jpgIMG20240412052822.jpg

The best upgrade so far for me has been this cold air ram intake that I got new for $66.99. The tube is aluminum and has an amazing throaty sound when the gas is smashed. I've bragged to my co-workers that my truck purrs and growls now. I haven't played my much, much more expensive upgrade in a 12" T-Style head unit because I love to hear the growling purring sound of my gas mileage racing towards single digits.

Pros:
- My Ram is a 2012 Quad-Cab SLT RWD with the 4.7L FlexFuel V8 and there are few upgrades made for it, unlike the 5.7L. Almost every other intake I found was well over $200.
- Installation was really pretty quick and went without much trouble at all. I don't think I screamed obscenities more than once or twice, and that might be a record. I was done with a little time to sleep before my alarms rang at 4:00 AM to get ready for work.
- It sounds fantastic.
- The parts were all really close to fitting or fit well.
- Everything I needed was in the package I received and there were no angry trips to the stores or online to create work around parts or fixes.

Cons:
- Zero instructions, not even a picture of the completed installation, was included with the intake.
- The 4" air channel was rough. The welds weren't cleaned up after being welded. The holes had razor sharp edges that protruded from the drill that cut them. The MAF sensor hole was razor sharp and would have sliced the little grommet that was included into shreds. Big metal filings were still inside the tube as if they didn't bother even blowing the thing out when the machining was done. The majority of my install time was devoted to fixing this part as I sanded everything to a fine polish and only then installed it.
- The hose for the return air to go back into the engine manifold is too short and will need to be replaced. It could really use a right angle fitting for this hose so it lays down in the engine bay.
- The fitting where the tube and the throttle body meet feels loose and might need a better jumction.
- The grommet that was included could be a better fit
- The hole at the top of the air chamber could have been made to be a little bigger so the filter can be removed from the top. I had to disassemble the whole thing when I thought I was finished installing it because I forgot to put the filter on before I mounted the air chamber.
- My fuel consumption has greatly increased because I'm stomping the gas to hear it and driving really fast to feel it, but this might be a pro as well. My mileage is somewhere around 12 MPG now. Yikes....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morgansamuel