best mpg mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l cummins
I'm sure i'm beating a dead horse here, and i may be asking prematurely, but what has everybody found to be the best mpg mods besides a bed cover? this is for my 13 hemi/8 speed truck. i know it hasnt been available long so it may be too new to know but even still on the 6 speeds was there anything specific that generally made the truck run more efficient. besides staying off the go pedal..lol. i'm not trying to make a hot rod out of it and i'm not trying to void the warranty either, just searching for some feedback from fellow ram owners. thanks guys

ramstein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd go with an air intake, aftermarket muffler, E3 plugs (heard good things about them), DONT buy mud tires, and a tuner if you really wanted to squeeze everything out of it.

OP
OP
RamCrazy

RamCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l cummins
well, i know the intake and muffler don't neccessarily gain in mpg's, theres the possibility, but i am kinda looking for someone that has actually seen any gains from those mods, i know what mods can help/hurt, i want to know if they are worth it mainly for mileage. will i see 1-2 mpg gains from a muffler/intake, or does the factory already flow enough to where it wont make any difference in economy. a tuner i dont think is a question b/c i/m not giving up the warranty for gains that i don't need right now. i'm just wondering what other peoples experiences have brought them mpg gains

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm goin for the same type of mods. Ones that increase MPG. I've already got the flowmaster muffler installed. Thinking about getting a S&B CAI (cold air intake) next. So, I've got the same question as you. Am I gonna see an increase in MPG that will justify the cost of those two mods?

joeshemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
efan,cai,exhaust,tuner will boost mpgs for sure unless your pedal to the metal all the time,under normal driving ive noticed a huge difference with my cai and efan.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
4 cylinder car.....its a truck your not going to get much more than 20mpg realistically. More mods the heavier your foot will become its just nature. I try to hit 19 mpg on the highway but with an intake, exhaust and programmer its not easy.

Props to you if you can stay off the go pedal. As posted the above mods will help.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I get quite a noticeable increase in mileage with my tuner, intake, exhaust, TB, even with a cold thermostat and bigger, heavier, alot wider tires. I don't run my air pressure way high either because it would beat me to death. I bet I gained a mpg or more with the tuner(actually more I think), and probably that much when I put on the TB, CAI, and muffler. I drive alot of miles, probably 1500-2000 a month on highway at speeds of 70-85 mph down to south texas and around Austin, and a whole lot more of county roads and FM roads and lease roads at normal slower speeds, but still I noticed that I spend alot less on gas now / a lot fewer gallons (not just the price) than before. I know its a whole lot better driving without cruise control on for mileage. My comparisons were made before, during, and after every mod, so I know they are accurate on my truck at least. Not just a placebo effect, actual money.

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
Here is a little help to decide if a proven increase is worth the cost. A few hemi/8 speed owners have reported a 17mpg avg; if a mod gives you a 1.5 mpg increase to 18.5 avg that's a 9% improvement!! Which is impressive. If you have the 32 gallon tank that would give you an extra 48 miles/tank or like 2.59 extra gallons of fuel. So if we estimate $3.75/g/us, it would give you about $9.72 for every 32 gallons of fuel you use. Now I know nobody fills up when completely empty; so, if you fill up at 1/4 tank every time you would be saving $7.29/ fill up over your un modded setup. Remember if your starting avg is higher, a 1.5mpg increase will net less savings.
(I haven't bothered to check my math so don't be too hard on me if it's a little off)

Zach

KLRpanda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A motor is a big air pump. More air in + more air out = better performance, better MPG, and a better truck in general.

Here is what I would do/did

1. Efan- This takes some strain off the motor making it not have to work as hard to turn a mech fan. Which in turns gives you a more efficient running motor. Which gives you better MPG and Power

2. aCold Air intake-The factory intake is restrictive. anything is pretty much better than it. the intake will give you more air coming in and a cooler air charge giveing more power and better MPG if drove correctly

3. Tuner-You can have a custom tune made to get your airfuel ratio where is needs to be to make you motor run better and stronger again giving you more MPG and Power

4.Exhaust - some people love the flow master but i hate it. it's not a straight threw design which is what you want and need for better performance and MPG. go with a 18 or 22" magna flow it's straight threw design gets the hot gases out and away from the motor faster than the flow master. if you don't believe me take a heat gun and put it on a flowmaster and then put one on a magnaflow it's a crazy difference. Also pick up a Y pipe from magna flow while your at it. the factory one is so restricting it's not even funny

5. A good set of tires - no mud tires keep them ballanced and a good alignment on the truck.

6. Enjoy your truck after all it's a truck yes we want the best and most power and MPG we can get out of these things but at the end of the day it's a anvil rolling down the road.

cficraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd like to see before and after mileage from stock to:

1. Electric Fan
2. Bed Cover
3. Lowering it several inches

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4.Exhaust - some people love the flow master but i hate it. it's not a straight threw design which is what you want and need for better performance and MPG. go with a 18 or 22" magna flow it's straight threw design gets the hot gases out and away from the motor faster than the flow master. if you don't believe me take a heat gun and put it on a flowmaster and then put one on a magnaflow it's a crazy difference. Also pick up a Y pipe from magna flow while your at it. the factory one is so restricting it's not even funny

I already had a flowmaster muffler installed with the factory pipes since it already had dual outs with nice tips. Would getting this magnaflow y pipe installed be worth it because of what I got installed already? Found the product here quickly: Magnaflow Y-Pipes - 75+ Reviews on Magnaflow Exhaust Y Pipes for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

KLRpanda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'd like to see before and after mileage from stock to:

1. Electric Fan
2. Bed Cover
3. Lowering it several inches

I'm getting around 21-22 mpg on the highway in my regular cab. with everybolt on besides a charger. But i also drive about 60 miles a day round trip

I already had a flowmaster muffler installed with the factory pipes since it already had dual outs with nice tips. Would getting this magnaflow y pipe installed be worth it because of what I got installed already? Found the product here quickly: Magnaflow Y-Pipes - 75+ Reviews on Magnaflow Exhaust Y Pipes for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

I would at least look into the Y pipe. i'd say keep the **** if you already got it. but the Y pipe will help you a little bit. I'm sure someone will back me up in saying that also.

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would at least look into the Y pipe. i'd say keep the **** if you already got it. but the Y pipe will help you a little bit. I'm sure someone will back me up in saying that also.

$33 for the y pipe and probably about $30-60 for install. Still worth it for me? I'm perfectly happy with the muffler sound now.

hemi_hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
all I have is a kn cai and a flowmaster cat back, I hit the cruise at about 70 and can get 19-20, driving locally if I just cruise and take it easy I get 19-22 mpg

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you guys know if the "Y" pipe would fit a 4.7?

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

just crawl under your truck and look at the factory connection where the 2 pipes come off the manifolds (2.5'') and connect to the 3'' mid pipe they basically took the 2 2.5'' pipes crushed them to fit into the 3'' mid pipe and tigged it it's horrable they should be ashamed they did something like that

OP
OP
RamCrazy

RamCrazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l cummins
appreciate the insight fellas, i guess theres enough positive feedback to justify doing some upgrades. does anybody know if any mods will void warranty? i understand that its a truck and i'm not gonna gewt 25 mpg...lol i just was wondering what works and what is a waste of money. i come from the diesel scene were it all works if you can keep your foot out of it and choose the right tuning. but gassers and diesels arent the same. my old gassers that i changed exhaust and stuff on didnt always yield better mileage, which is why i wanted to get opinions before i spent a grand in upgrades that wont help any at all. and i'm not worried about the go pedal, me and my wife can restrain ourselves from crazy driving MOST of the time..... LOL