Best oil and oil filter for a 5.7 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a great idea I never thought of that because I was always saying why will I need extra 3 quarts makes sense when I save a few bucks on both oil changes. What specific filter should I look for in Walmart? Actually, whatever filter you guys suggest ill pick it up from Walmart, advance, or O'Reilly's I really have no idea about the proper oil filters. I used to use Purolator Boss.
The fram xg2 if it fits. There's an oil filter thread on here if you want to check it out

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I couldn't find that filter online in my nearest Advance auto parts store. I am staying with 5w 20 as it was what is recommended to my knowledge I've researched and that's what other ram owners use as well. Is there any reason I should not be using 5w20?
Read the note at the bottom,it might interest you.This is from the 700 page printed manual for my 14,so it applies to your 14 as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 74

Boulevard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 5.7L has over 80,000 miles. I switched to full synthetic 3 oil changes ago (about every 5k). This time Wally world didn't have 5w20 full synthetic. I went with high mileage Pennzoil synthetic blend but will return to full synthetic next time.

salarguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have been using Pennzoil ultra platinum full synthetic 5w-20 for the whole duration I had my truck and I am looking to try something else for my next oil change in a few weeks along with a new filter brand. Any suggestions and links would be appreciated!
Castrol Edge 5/20 + Baldwin

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been using Pennzoil ultra platinum full synthetic 5w-20 for the whole duration I had my truck and I am looking to try something else for my next oil change in a few weeks along with a new filter brand. Any suggestions and links would be appreciated!
Seems like you're doing it right. I use whatever OEM spec 5W20 I can get on sale plus a quality filter designed for extended change, preferably either a NAPA gold/Wix, or Purolator. Currently have Rotella 5W20 gas truck and an AC filter on there. 5k changes typical, but based on lab analysis not afraid to go to at least 9k if on a long road trip. 102k on my 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi, no in between consumption, no noises, just a fine vehicle. Good luck.

PhilBernardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would think running anything other than 5-20 would void any applicable warranty. RAM recommends 5-20 for my truck here in Michigan. I tried 5-30 and it ticked like crazy. I immediately went back to 5-20 and all is good.

Silby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan on ordering Mobil one extended performance high mileage and Mopar oil filter. I'm kinda needing to get an oil change soon while having limited time to get my oil and oil filter ordered so I am kinda resorting to getting them from Advance auto parts. what do you guys think?
I use Walmart super tech full synthetic 5-20 with a Wix filter and Z Max. Works great for me and has for many years.

Silby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a great idea I never thought of that because I was always saying why will I need extra 3 quarts makes sense when I save a few bucks on both oil changes. What specific filter should I look for in Walmart? Actually, whatever filter you guys suggest ill pick it up from Walmart, advance, or O'Reilly's I really have no idea about the proper oil filters. I used to use Purolator Boss.
Wix platinum

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I would think running anything other than 5-20 would void any applicable warranty. RAM recommends 5-20 for my truck here in Michigan. I tried 5-30 and it ticked like crazy. I immediately went back to 5-20 and all is good.
The note might interest you

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 32

Rodney Belair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use Valvoline and drop a quart and replace it with Rislone, I swear by this stuff. 17 Hemi with 73000 on her. No tick.

Brrielly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just switched from the dealer pennzoil syn blend 5w20 to PUP 5w30 with 21 oz of lubeguard. The PUP is pretty thin to begin with plus the lubegard will thin it out some more. So far the engine is noticably quieter.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The note might interest you
FYI. The reference to using anything other than the prescribed viscosity does not appear in my 2019 U.S. Owners Manual (duplicate language for 3.6 engine deleted):

Engine Oil — Gas Engine Change Engine Oil The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Refer to the “Maintenance Plan” for further information.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months, or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Gasoline Engine Oil Selection For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends engine oils that are API Certified and meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395. American Petroleum Institute (API) Engine Oil Identification Symbol This symbol means that the oil has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API).

The manufacturer only recommends API Certified engine oils. This symbol certifies 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 engine oils.

CAUTION! Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment” illustration in this section. Lubricants which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used. [emphasis mine]

Synthetic Engine Oils You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed. Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used.

Materials Added To Engine Oil

The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to the engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by supplemental additives.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 82393 miles

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bacon grease, pure and simple. Ditch your spin on filter in favor of the bypass filter housing which uses a roll of toilet paper. That'll do it! I'M JUST Kidding!!! ;)

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My owners manual has the blessing of 5W-30. My ‘17 is about to clock 80k. I bought it bone stock at 11k. Since then it has had only 5w-30. Redline or PUP. No tick, nice and smooth. Only RP 10-48 filters.
Oil change later this week will be PUP w/ Lubegard added. Also have my Blackstone kit so I can get the UOA.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My owners manual has the blessing of 5W-30. My ‘17 is about to clock 80k. I bought it bone stock at 11k. Since then it has had only 5w-30. Redline or PUP. No tick, nice and smooth. Only RP 10-48 filters.
Oil change later this week will be PUP w/ Lubegard added. Also have my Blackstone kit so I can get the UOA.
Next oil change your should see if the 20-820 filter fits and use that one instead.