Best oil and oil filter for a 5.7 Hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have been using Pennzoil ultra platinum full synthetic 5w-20 for the whole duration I had my truck and I am looking to try something else for my next oil change in a few weeks along with a new filter brand. Any suggestions and links would be appreciated!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why do you want to change? We took a vote and ram forum chose that oil as number one, m1 as number 2, amsoil as number 3, and redline as number 4, nothing else is very close. See the oil filter thread, royal purple 20-820 and fram ultra 3 are top choices, see page 93 and page 1 on that thread. Main thing use a synthetic paper large size and not paper. If you want to just boost that pennzoil, you can just add lubegard biotech and protect that cam a little more with moly. If you have hemi tick, the conversation becomes different, but that PUP is a top oil for the hemi. Other things to look for is high moly, valvoline ep didnt get the votes, but the new formula is high moly. PUP 5w30 and some biotech paired with a synthetic filter is a mighty fine choice imo, close to what you are doing now.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Why do you want to change? We took a vote and ram forum chose that oil as number one, m1 as number 2, amsoil as number 3, and redline as number 4, nothing else is very close. See the oil filter thread, royal purple 20-820 and fram ultra 3 are top choices, see page 93 and page 1 on that thread. Main thing use a synthetic paper large size and not paper. If you want to just boost that pennzoil, you can just add lubegard biotech and protect that cam a little more with moly. If you have hemi tick, the conversation becomes different, but that PUP is a top oil for the hemi. Other things to look for is high moly, valvoline ep didnt get the votes, but the new formula is high moly. PUP 5w30 and some biotech paired with a synthetic filter is a mighty fine choice imo, close to what you are doing now.
oh, Valvoline?

Always was a Valvoline man until you guys got me on this synthetic stuff.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The pennzoil ultra platinum you're already using seems to be the popular brand with the members of this forum. I personally use Napa 5-20 blend with out any problems. I may switch to the pennzoil ultra platinum though because I can get it for the same price as the Napa oil in the 5qt jug

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was using PUP 5w20 and a brief run of 5w30, heard clatter and random slight ticking, nothing of major concern but more noise than my previous Hemi with the same combination.

I'm currently on Redline 5w20 for winter. My impression of the first 1000 miles is the motor is noticeably more quiet and smooth, the loudest thing I hear now are the injectors. Looking forward to trying 5w30 in spring.

The oil filter thread is an eye opener. I'll never use the little can again. The top two are RP 20-820 and Fram XG2. I'm using a Wix 57899XP for now, RP was out of stock and Fram wasn't on my radar.

P.S. Also get yourself a magnetic drain plug. This can clue you in on potential cam damage.

OP
OP
H

Hattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I plan on ordering Mobil one extended performance high mileage and Mopar oil filter. I'm kinda needing to get an oil change soon while having limited time to get my oil and oil filter ordered so I am kinda resorting to getting them from Advance auto parts. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 10.26.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 10.26.01 PM.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 10.26.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 10.26.18 PM.png
    209 KB · Views: 19

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on ordering Mobil one extended performance high mileage and Mopar oil filter. I'm kinda needing to get an oil change soon while having limited time to get my oil and oil filter ordered so I am kinda resorting to getting them from Advance auto parts. what do you guys think?
Advance Auto has the Fram FS2 (AA version of the XG2), I'd opt for that over the Mopar filter.

Any reason you are staying with 5-20 instead of 5-30?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That MO-399 is too small of a filter for the Hemi IMO.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to save a few bucks get the mobil 1 ep at Walmart. Its usually $30 or less for a 5 quart jug. Get 2 and have 3 quarts leftover for the next oil change. The one by me even has mopar filters. I go with the fram xg series for our vehicles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
im surprised that amsoil in not so popular on here.
It is the third most popular oil behind m1 and pennzoil, you think it should be higher? Funny considering you need to pay for a license to even order the stuff, lol? I imagine if they were on every store shelf the would see much more. It is amazing only royal purple has such widespread boutique distribution despite the fact the use dye to make their stuff purple. Fake boutique is way better then actual boutiques I guess.

OP
OP
H

Hattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Advance Auto has the Fram FS2 (AA version of the XG2), I'd opt for that over the Mopar filter.

Any reason you are staying with 5-20 instead of 5-30?
I couldn't find that filter online in my nearest Advance auto parts store. I am staying with 5w 20 as it was what is recommended to my knowledge I've researched and that's what other ram owners use as well. Is there any reason I should not be using 5w20?

OP
OP
H

Hattan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you want to save a few bucks get the mobil 1 ep at Walmart. Its usually $30 or less for a 5 quart jug. Get 2 and have 3 quarts leftover for the next oil change. The one by me even has mopar filters. I go with the fram xg series for our vehicles.
That's a great idea I never thought of that because I was always saying why will I need extra 3 quarts makes sense when I save a few bucks on both oil changes. What specific filter should I look for in Walmart? Actually, whatever filter you guys suggest ill pick it up from Walmart, advance, or O'Reilly's I really have no idea about the proper oil filters. I used to use Purolator Boss.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't find that filter online in my nearest Advance auto parts store. I am staying with 5w 20 as it was what is recommended to my knowledge I've researched and that's what other ram owners use as well. Is there any reason I should not be using 5w20?
Most of us run 5-30 for the added hot end protection.