Best place to put the sending unit for transmission temp gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know there is disagreement about what the best place is for the sending unit, but I'm hoping that there is a place that it will just screw into for simplicity and to ensure a good seal. Anybody done it?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have a **** in an aftermarket pan. Some use the trans pressure test port but i don't like it. It measures the fluid temp after it's gone all the way through trans already. Pan temp, in my opinion, in that it gives you the fluid temp as a whole.

If you choose the route of the test port, glowshift sells an adapter to put it there.

OP
OP
Rigs

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have a **** in an aftermarket pan. Some use the trans pressure test port but i don't like it. It measures the fluid temp after it's gone all the way through trans already.

I like the pan route too. That's the temp of the fluid that is fixing to be pumped through the trans, but if the tranny was starting to overheat would it be better to see the temp when it comes out of the tranny? I just don't know. And I'm going to get a mag-hytec pan and it has a sender **** in it I believe.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I had a mag-hytec at one point but sold it as the b&m pan i have now was already on. I'd actually picked up both the d60 and d70 diff covers and the trans pan for like $150 and they were unused. It was probably double the depth of the b&m.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Mine is on the pressure line from the transmission, before it goes into the cooler. It was part of my project to remove the check valve and replace the factory cooler with an aftermarket one. That was about 15 years ago!

It's a bit tricky because you'll have to ground the sender, but with a bit of solder, a hose clamp, a wire eyelet , and a sheet metal screw it's as easy as can be.