Best setup for towing travel trailer when lowered

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I searched around here and found some good info but I'd like to see what folks are currently using and how well they like the setups. Right now my truck is a stock 2015 crew cab 2WD Big Horn with the factory class IV hitch (but no tow mirrors or ITBC) and 5.7 Hemi. This truck was my FIL's truck and he used it to pull a 26' travel trailer. When he passed away earlier this year I ended up with the truck and travel trailer (and the WDH as well).

I have always been a lowered suspension guy, so I'd like to lower the truck but still be able to keep the ability to tow the travel trailer since my wife and kids love to camp. I plan to add tow mirrors and an ITBC this winter. I had thought about just doing 2" springs and helper bags for the rear but I really like the look of a 2/4. I've looked at the Timber Grove CRMs as well as just adding shorter helpers to the 4" kits. It seems that once you get much below 2" additional stuff is needed to get the rear geometry back to where it needs to be. I'd rather do this right the first time rather than mess around with several setups...especially when lots of folks have experiences that can help avoid mistakes. At the same time, I don't necessarily subscribe to just throwing money at the most expensive stuff if the gains are marginal. What works for you guys and what advice would those of you who have already done these things give? Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can provide!

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted in the Lowered section but haven't got any response, maybe I'll get some info here. Below is my original post that I copied:

Hey guys, I searched around here and found some good info but I'd like to see what folks are currently using and how well they like the setups. Right now my truck is a stock 2015 crew cab 2WD Big Horn with the factory class IV hitch (but no tow mirrors or ITBC) and 5.7 Hemi. This truck was my FIL's truck and he used it to pull a 26' travel trailer. When he passed away earlier this year I ended up with the truck and travel trailer (and the WDH as well).

I have always been a lowered suspension guy, so I'd like to lower the truck but still be able to keep the ability to tow the travel trailer since my wife and kids love to camp. I plan to add tow mirrors and an ITBC this winter. I had thought about just doing 2" springs and helper bags for the rear but I really like the look of a 2/4. I've looked at the Timber Grove CRMs as well as just adding shorter helpers to the 4" kits. It seems that once you get much below 2" additional stuff is needed to get the rear geometry back to where it needs to be. I'd rather do this right the first time rather than mess around with several setups...especially when lots of folks have experiences that can help avoid mistakes. At the same time, I don't necessarily subscribe to just throwing money at the most expensive stuff if the gains are marginal. What works for you guys and what advice would those of you who have already done these things give? Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can provide!

Ramcharger60

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 crew cab sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Inez 4/6 kit is the best way to go, pared with the Timber Grove CRM air bag kit. It is rather expensive to go this route but if you can afford it I reccomend this setup. If you are on a budget go with the 2/4 spring kit

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Val

jedeisurf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you should research weight distribution hitches, I have setup station wagons to tow 28' travel trailers with only transmission coolers in the 90's

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a good weight distributing hitch. I have no doubt I can make it work, I'd just rather avoid mistakes if possible

OP
OP
F

Fastbee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont think my truck could negotiate my driveway with a 4/6...it's not super steep, but where it transitions from slope to level is pretty short. I need to get some measurements to see if it would work.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rear helper bags and it will tow same/better than stock.