Best snow traction devices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Fellas,

Just got stuck in the snow yesterday. I would like to know your recommendations for:

1. Pass-thru tire traction bars for DRIVING on hard packed snow - in combination with main roads that are partially melted. I'm talking town driving

2. Pass-thru tire deep snow/stuck traction device to get unstuck.

Any recommendations you might be able to give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maitai

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you'll want to go more than 20mph with anything that mounts on the outside of a tire like chains or socks, which makes it only useful for the very worst in-city snow storms before plows have been through (assuming your city plows)

Most of the light duty plow trucks (like a 1500/2500 truck) in my area wear studded mud tires.

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi

something like this or any of its knock offs may be a good thing to keep in the bed to help get you unstuck if it happens again.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have 4x4 ? or rwd only ? Tires help a lot, and depending of what you're doing there are some basics you can have. Not sure about pass thru devices you're referring to and I have no experience with those Kumho tires but their siping doesn't look bat at all.

How much PSI were you running ? If you're doing deep snow you should consider tire chains. If you don't have enough backspace in your wheels for chains you should have a winch and/or go with at least somebody else other than you with another vehicle and both should have basic recovery gear. I don't venture outdoors without the basics ever, a simple fire road in the summer can be a nightmare under a winter blizzard so things like that can change your outlook for good. In deep snow like in sand or mud you should deflate your tires to have good flotation and more traction. you have no idea how much that helps if you haven't tried it yourself. if you're running 50PSI your tires are more likely slicks in snow with that much pressure, much more in deep snow. Go down to 15PSI, and in snow you're not placing any load on the sidewalls so you can go lower if you wanted. Get yourself an air pump of course capable of inflating your tires backup, and put that in your recovery gear, you can have traction boards, a kinetic rope and tow strap, tree saver, soft shackles, steel shackles, shovel, a winch and all their accessories etc etc. we spend days in remote areas offroad where cell reception is not a thing, so we all have basic self recovery capabilites and better we never go out alone, we have at least a 2nd vehicle in the group so we double the provisions in case chit hit the fan :)

if you're just plowing snowy roads then maybe a set of wheels with enough backspace that will allow you to run chains in all 4 wheels might suite you better, chains are not that expensive, and same deal lower your tire psi with chains and that will give lots of traction in icy conditions.

Have fun.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running dedicated snow tires on a 4 wheel drive. They aren't as pretty as the warm weather tires, but they take care of business. I also have a topper on the back and stuff in the bed that adds up to 350-400 lbs. I have no problem getting out of snowed in areas or staying put on the ice.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Snow rated tires. Chains when it's bad. V bar chains when it's really bad off road.

If you've never used Chains, it's really hard to explain how significant the difference is. Kind of a pain to put on, but when you need them, you NEED them. I dont know of anything reasonable that works as well. Bonus is they are relatively inexpensive for what you get.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Kumho Road Ventures.
Saying you run Kuhmo Road Venture tires is kind of like saying you run Goodyear Wranglers. There are several versions of those tires. Which version are you running?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
winch, unless you're on the prairie. Seeing as you're in Nevada, you're in the mountains, so always trees, posts, etc.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do a search on YouTube. I've seen a few reviews comparing chains to tire wraps, traction boards etc over the years.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Snow rated tires. Chains when it's bad. V bar chains when it's really bad off road.

If you've never used Chains, it's really hard to explain how significant the difference is. Kind of a pain to put on, but when you need them, you NEED them. I dont know of anything reasonable that works as well. Bonus is they are relatively inexpensive for what you get.
I agree. When we went into chain country a lot we actually mounted chains on two deflated spare tires, once the chains were on right and tight, we re-inflated the tire. Tightest no flap chain up you will ever see. With an electric impact driver and a bottle jack we could switch to chains in about 10 minutes. Always better to put them on before you need them.

Problem with chains is they aren't great on main roads due to the low speeds they are designed for. On most paved roads, good quality winter tires with studs are hard to beat.

Next point, we do have winches on every one of our 4x4s. No winch is just asking for a bunch of trouble you may have a real hard time getting out of. Most wreckers in my area will not leave a well developed road and they won't come down one of those that isn't plowed. In bad storms, there are even no tow/assistance zones on paved main roads a few times a winter. I have had to go recover guys many times because they could not get a commercial operator to come get them.

Last edited:

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Winter snow rated tires and chains are the only way to make sure you don't get stuck. Once you are stuck.... only a winch. I've had lots of fun smashing traction boards..

Davieboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Growing up in the Northwest, I have long carried and used chains, front and rear. I was a Ford guy until I bought a 2020 2500 6.7 4x4. Well, the Owners Manual for my 2020 Ram instructs owners to "not use chains on front tires". As most folks who are familiar with chaining will agree say, chaining the front tires is most advantageous in that it utilizes the engine weight for better traction and steering. I have chained out of hunting areas over the years and can simply say front wheel chains saved my bacon a few times due to uphill grades and twisty back-country roads!
Sooooo, what do you folks have to say about chaining your front tires on late model 4x4 RAMS?