Best Tailgate Light bar on the market

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could use some assistance with picking out Tailgate LED 60" light bar for my 2012 ram.

My problem is that they don't last. Either the bulbs short out, or water gets inside it and knocks them out that way. I have gone through 2 sets of the APC tailgate bars and I'm just disappointed.

Any ideas or thoughts on your personal experience with yours or options out there for me. I see other models like rampage (that's my truck name by the way), putco, summit racing, pacer, bully, anzo. Just need some input on my next set because I love the look of them.

My needs
1. Durability...kinda want something that last longer than 1 year.
2. Maintenance...not interested in putting any kind of Silicon, tape or other preventive maintance methods on it...just want to stick it on and forget about it
3. Waterproof...it's located by the tailgate so it needs to be waterproof. Probly my biggest issue.
4. Rear reverse white light is not really needed, but would be nice. More light in the rear is always nice.

pricing is no object... I want it to last and I don't care how much. I've gone through 2 of them already, and for the price of both, I would buy something higher end.

Any picture post would be greatly appreciated on any kind of truck (ford chevy, Toyota, Nissan...etc...a truck is a truck and I'm not bias on any of them).

Thx

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn
*Bilstein 2.8" front, Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer, Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit, Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers, Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4),fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats, 2-12" aline subs (swe -1243), 500 watt alpine mono sub, LED 3rd tail light smoked, Spyder LED smokes tail lights

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I've heard great things about the Recon ones

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had a Recon "Fire and Ice" for over a year and I haven't had any problems.
Jay

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ arod412/rampage .
I had the exact same concerns as you when I was searching around for my BED lights ( no cover ) even though I'm mounting them under the rail , I just didn't want any issues , then I remembered the LED bar lights I mounted inside my live well for my boat . I ended up going back to a local boating supply center and bought some more" submersible " LED light bars for under the rails . I'll be installing them this weekend with a waterproof rocker switch .

So my advice for you : it wouldn't hurt to Google around or go to a boating center and check out there submersible 12vdc LED bar lights . Never know you might be suprized !

GO HOGS !!

Last edited:

GoRebels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the Recon Xtreme it's what I ran on my Superduty for years and been meaning to mount it to my Ram.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a recon fire and ice for almost 4 years on my pass too trucks left it on my last truck but worked great went ahead and silled it up on ends with silicone b4 installing just incase, a buddy of mine got a strip from pep boys that seems to work pretty good i'm thinkin about giving it a try next dunno what brand it is but looks good

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I just got a the $35 dollar one off ebay. It's flexible not rigid like the older ones.
Has the reverse lights.

Been fine for over two years now. Was a little tricky to mount since it is flexible.

badzdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always ran the Recon's and never had an issue. My last one I had on my truck for 8yrs and never had a problem. I have reordered one for my current truck as well.

Lou2337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
How did you work around the spare tire crank slot? Is their enough room to mount above it and still be visable? Looking to install one on my 14' ram

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Mine sits right on the top lip of the hole. Looks find.