Best Tailgate Light bar on the market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could use some assistance with picking out Tailgate LED 60" light bar for my 2012 ram.

My problem is that they don't last. Either the bulbs short out, or water gets inside it and knocks them out that way. I have gone through 2 sets of the APC tailgate bars and I'm just disappointed.

Any ideas or thoughts on your personal experience with yours or options out there for me. I see other models like rampage (that's my truck name by the way), putco, summit racing, pacer, bully, anzo. Just need some input on my next set because I love the look of them.

My needs
1. Durability...kinda want something that last longer than 1 year.
2. Maintenance...not interested in putting any kind of Silicon, tape or other preventive maintance methods on it...just want to stick it on and forget about it
3. Waterproof...it's located by the tailgate so it needs to be waterproof. Probly my biggest issue.
4. Rear reverse white light is not really needed, but would be nice. More light in the rear is always nice.

pricing is no object... I want it to last and I don't care how much. I've gone through 2 of them already, and for the price of both, I would buy something higher end.

Any picture post would be greatly appreciated on any kind of truck (ford chevy, Toyota, Nissan...etc...a truck is a truck and I'm not bias on any of them).

Thx

Truck name: Rampage
2012 Dodge ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn
*Bilstein 2.8" front, Bilstein shocks on rear with 1" spacer, Pioneer AVH 4300DVD head unit, Polk Audio Dxi350 dash speakers, Kicker 40CSS654 6 1/2" door speakers (x4),fox box 2-12" speakers holder for rear seats, 2-12" aline subs (swe -1243), 500 watt alpine mono sub, LED 3rd tail light smoked, Spyder LED smokes tail lights

Last edited:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I've heard great things about the Recon ones

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had a Recon "Fire and Ice" for over a year and I haven't had any problems.
Jay

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ arod412/rampage .
I had the exact same concerns as you when I was searching around for my BED lights ( no cover ) even though I'm mounting them under the rail , I just didn't want any issues , then I remembered the LED bar lights I mounted inside my live well for my boat . I ended up going back to a local boating supply center and bought some more" submersible " LED light bars for under the rails . I'll be installing them this weekend with a waterproof rocker switch .

So my advice for you : it wouldn't hurt to Google around or go to a boating center and check out there submersible 12vdc LED bar lights . Never know you might be suprized !

GO HOGS !!

Last edited:

GoRebels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out the Recon Xtreme it's what I ran on my Superduty for years and been meaning to mount it to my Ram.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a recon fire and ice for almost 4 years on my pass too trucks left it on my last truck but worked great went ahead and silled it up on ends with silicone b4 installing just incase, a buddy of mine got a strip from pep boys that seems to work pretty good i'm thinkin about giving it a try next dunno what brand it is but looks good

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I just got a the $35 dollar one off ebay. It's flexible not rigid like the older ones.
Has the reverse lights.

Been fine for over two years now. Was a little tricky to mount since it is flexible.

badzdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always ran the Recon's and never had an issue. My last one I had on my truck for 8yrs and never had a problem. I have reordered one for my current truck as well.

Lou2337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
How did you work around the spare tire crank slot? Is their enough room to mount above it and still be visable? Looking to install one on my 14' ram

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Mine sits right on the top lip of the hole. Looks find.

badzdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you work around the spare tire crank slot? Is their enough room to mount above it and still be visable? Looking to install one on my 14' ram

There is enough room for the lowering bar to fit in the hole even with the light bar partially covering. To line it up I put a 1ft socket extension bar in the hole and then put the light bar just above that leaving some extra wiggle room and then made sure everything was level and then snugged up 3m tape.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a Putco LED light bat WITH the reverse light led's.I had it put on at a place here in Cleveland called Finish line...actually my wife bought it for me for Christmas for my old truck after I went thru 2 recon light bars...one cracked and water got in...and the other lost the right half of the running lights.....ANYWAY the reason I went with putco...and the reason I took it off my ford when I sold it and mounted it on the dodge..it carries a LIFETIME warrenty...it also come with 1 year labor but that's long gone. I've had this light bat since December of 2012 and I've never had an issue with it.....I just added the LED tail light chrome bezels to the back also the other day...hard to see in the picture but they're wired to the brake lights so I have plenty to see when stopping......unless they're on their phone. But the bottom line...PUTCO for my money,I don't think anyone else has a warranty.

Attachments

• IMG_20150702_162112_647.jpg
    IMG_20150702_162112_647.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20150817_200719_712.jpg
    IMG_20150817_200719_712.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
P.S...I paid 160.00 for it in 2012...the recons were cheaper at the time..I think I paid 80-90 for them...but again ,they didn't last for me...although I've heard good things about them which is why I bought them to begin with.

Last edited:

Chetperk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Putco Switchblade

After a lot of research, and problems with the Opt7 triple tailgate bar, I just ordered the Putco switchblade. Reviews on it are good. it comes fully encased and Ip69 water proof, which sounds like it would solve the issues for boaters launching their boats. Putco uses 2000 leds so it looks like a continuous light rather than seeing the individual leds. It is quite pricey, currently $178 on auto anything.But I guess you get what you pay for, comes with 3 year warranty.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I run the opt7 triple red line. I also installed one on my neighbors ram 3500 and both work flawlessly. And it's been like 6months and been through a ton of rain and lots of snow and salt.

Edit: just looked up the putco one and looks sorta like the redline triple. Except they don't have the sequential turn signals and the difference between brake and running isn't enough.

Here's the video I posted of my truck. My neighbor destroyed his rear bumper, tailgate and rear quarter and his bar still works lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1NTexXTqkbA

https://youtu.be/1NTexXTqkbA

Last edited:

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I just ordered the Putco switchblade.
Good for you, In my opinion, you just ordered the best tail gate light bar there is.
I love mine, three year warranty, easy installation, as long as you get the optional wire kit.
Post back and tell us what you think.

Attachments

• 03-25-17 Light 1.jpg
    03-25-17 Light 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Chetperk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have to agree. The Putco is made much better than the Opt7 Redline. The Opt7 wires are very flimsy compared to the Putco which uses a thicker gauge. Plus the fact that it is fully enclosed in a plastic covering, unlike the Opt7 which only has a silicone covering. I also like the fact that it is protected with an inline fuse.
While it may not have a lifetime warranty any longer it is still covered under a three year which is pretty good.
I uploaded a photo of the Putco and Opt7 on my truck. The Putco which is on the bottom is considerably brighter than the Opt7.

Don't know why the picture posted upside down

Attachments

• IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 67

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I have to agree. The Putco is made much better than the Opt7 Redline. The Opt7 wires are very flimsy compared to the Putco which uses a thicker gauge. Plus the fact that it is fully enclosed in a plastic covering, unlike the Opt7 which only has a silicone covering. I also like the fact that it is protected with an inline fuse.
While it may not have a lifetime warranty any longer it is still covered under a three year which is pretty good.
I uploaded a photo of the Putco and Opt7 on my truck. The Putco which is on the bottom is considerably brighter than the Opt7.

Don't know why the picture posted upside down

Is that with just the running lights for the comparison? In the video posted before the running lights of the putco were bright but the brake wasn't enough of a "jump". Maybe what your seeing is the putco being brighter on just the running side. Which to me is the least important function of the bar.

Try snapping a pick with them both illuminated on a brake setting.