Best Tires for oem wheels, looking for advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I have looked at the most recent and most views posts. I also looked at other various post. I am starting to think I like the look of the 3" lifts.

So my question lies, I am currently running OEM 17" wheels. Most of the people on here seem to run 33" tires on 20" rims. I am assuming I can't run 33 on 17 as it would just be 'off'.

I am not going to be buying new wheels as I like the oem wheels on the car and they are in great condition for being 18yr old.

So what do you think would be best 285/70/17 ?

I also have no idea of what brands are good. I really don't need anything that is crazy expensive. I know there are people running venom on here, but thats around 350/ tire.

There is a tirerack close to me that I can pickup from to save some money.

Im leaning towards general grabber a/tx. Not sure what the consensus is on here and what everyone likes to buy. Thanks

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Just don't buy an off-brand/imported tire unless you are OK risking a bad experience. Most mainstream brands will give you a good quality experience. I've had good experiences with Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Nitto and Michelin. They all have their pros/cons and you'll get a million recommendations when asking a question about tires (or oil).

If you put a 3" lift on the truck, you might find that the 33's look small. Search for some pics online to see if you like the look. Alternatively, if you go bigger (like a 35"), your 4.7 may get even more sluggish than it is now, plus you'll probably need spacers with your stock wheels to prevent rubbing. I put 315's on my 2000 and even the 5.9 became underwhelming...

This is my 2000 Sport with 3" lift and 315/70/17's for reference.

IMG_0767.JPG

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my question lies, I am currently running OEM 17" wheels. Most of the people on here seem to run 33" tires on 20" rims. I am assuming I can't run 33 on 17 as it would just be 'off'.

My brother is running 37s on 17s on his Land Cruiser and they don't look "off". It really comes down to preference. Some folks like a lot of rubber and smaller wheels, and some like larger wheels with less rubber. I think it depends on what you plan on doing with the truck and what looks good to you. Additionally, you'll definitely want to take into consideration with change in wheel well spacing if you lift it as a 33 may look too small. But, again - preference matters. Take a look at the lifted trucks in here and you may find something you really like.

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just don't buy an off-brand/imported tire unless you are OK risking a bad experience. Most mainstream brands will give you a good quality experience. I've had good experiences with Cooper, Mickey Thompson, Nitto and Michelin. They all have their pros/cons and you'll get a million recommendations when asking a question about tires (or oil).

If you put a 3" lift on the truck, you might find that the 33's look small. Search for some pics online to see if you like the look. Alternatively, if you go bigger (like a 35"), your 4.7 may get even more sluggish than it is now, plus you'll probably need spacers with your stock wheels to prevent rubbing. I put 315's on my 2000 and even the 5.9 became underwhelming...

This is my 2000 Sport with 3" lift and 315/70/17's for reference.

View attachment 215831
thanks for the reply, this looks like a good setup to me. I just didn't know if there was a limit to where 17" wheels and tires need to be, i.e stop at 300. or you will get crazy death wobble. Yeah the truck does feel a bit sluggish as it is, going to do some maintenance tonight as im finally free.

OP
OP
gen3_bk

gen3_bk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as far as brands, I figured there was good and bad ones like with all things. I wouldn't put super cheap tires on, but really don't want to put 1500$ tires on a 20year old truck. I have mid tier general tires on my other car, they have been good so far. For use of the truck, well I gotta get her running good again before I feel safe driving it all over.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can get Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws in that size (285/70/17). I really like the ones I'm running.

-K