Best Tires for Ram 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Instead of starting a new thread,.......I'll just piggyback off of this one here.

Anyone price out four tires lately?! LOL
I got a quote for four stock size, 20" wheel BF GOODRICH T/A KO2's, mounted, balanced, alignment,...........$1,800 bucks out the door.
I was like, WTF?!?!!?

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Instead of starting a new thread,.......I'll just piggyback off of this one here.

I got a quote for four stock size, 20" wheel BF GOODRICH T/A KO2's, mounted, balanced, alignment,...........$1,800 bucks out the door.
I was like, WTF?!?!!?
Yep, my summer wheel/tire combo is coming off this weekend and I’m putting on my winters. I’ve been pricing new summer tires. My wallet runs for cover every time I look online at tires. It’s insanity. Who would have thought shutting down the worlds economy and then implementing absolutely horrible policies would have such an impact……………..

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

I was like, WTF?!?!!?
275-70-18 Duratracs $1500 out the door on sale Nov 2021.
265-50-20 Michelin X-ice $1300 at clearance sale prices March 2022, so by Canadian prices you are in the ball park if there is no sale on.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, my summer wheel/tire combo is coming off this weekend and I’m putting on my winters. I’ve been pricing new summer tires. My wallet runs for cover every time I look online at tires. It’s insanity. Who would have thought shutting down the worlds economy and then implementing absolutely horrible policies would have such an impact……………..
Exactly brother!!!
What a shame.

275-70-18 Duratracs $1500 out the door on sale Nov 2021.
265-50-20 Michelin X-ice $1300 at clearance sale prices March 2022, so by Canadian prices you are in the ball park if there is no sale on.
Trying to stay away from the Goodyucks. I think they are terrible tires. I have less than 35k on them and I can see how worn they are. These are the stockers I am talking about. Hydroplane city. LOL Just curious where they are on sale? I've looked at 3 or 4 places and they are over 300 bucks a piece.
Not looking for a dedicated winter tire, but an overall good all terrain tire. The truck will never see off road duty.

Thanks for your replies guys. I appreciate it.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a set of Sailun Terramax AT with the 4 peaks. LT275/65/20 and I'm super impressed. They are quiet and balanced really well. They weigh probably 2.5x more than the Goodyear sra junk.

Attachments

• 20221025_115144.jpg
    20221025_115144.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 6

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a set of Sailun Terramax AT with the 4 peaks. LT275/65/20 and I'm super impressed. They are quiet and balanced really well. They weigh probably 2.5x more than the Goodyear sra junk.

2.5 times the weight, wow. :)

I'm trusting the difference was 2.5 lbs or #s. :cool:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Not lbs, it's 2.5x the physical weight. These 10ply at are heavy.
That really isn't a good thing. A well built, good performing and good lasting tire does not need to be over twice as heavy. All that extra unsprung weight has far too many negative impacts and no positive ones.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That really isn't a good thing. A well built, good performing and good lasting tire does not need to be over twice as heavy. All that extra unsprung weight has far too many negative impacts and no positive ones.
You're probably right. To be fair, the sra I had were pretty worn. My take is the rugged knobs on the AT and the 10ply sidewall adds a lot of weight. I also went up from 275/60/20 275/65/20.

I'll see if I can Google the exact weight of eachm

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the shipping weight. Those sailuns are 52lb and the sra 39lb (when new of course). But boy, they felt at least twice the weight carrying them around. The duratrac LT275/65/20 are 57lb.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found the shipping weight. Those sailuns are 52lb and the sra 39lb (when new of course). But boy, they felt at least twice the weight carrying them around. The duratrac LT275/65/20 are 57lb.

I know what you mean. :)

My BFGs are mounted on 17" steel rims and they feel much much heavier than the Michelin Defenders on 20" alloys. I just had them changed over last Monday.

My truck was due for an oil change & tire rotation, so I got lazy and paid for the work.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mpg will definitely go to the *******. But the trade-off will be much better towing experience, off-roading and winter traction which was the main reason for the upgrade. It didn't make sense for us toncontinue with dedicated winter tires as well as all season.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mpg will definitely go to the *******. But the trade-off will be much better towing experience, off-roading and winter traction which was the main reason for the upgrade. It didn't make sense for us toncontinue with dedicated winter tires as well as all season.

Those Sailun Terramax AT look like good all-around tires and I understand that two sets of wheels aren't practical for many.

I like to spoil myself while driving, summer & winter. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but me. :cool:

BillinNM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Quadcab 4X2
Engine
Pentastar 6
Hmmmm. Lots of posts and very little agreement, as the Alberta tire dealer said. I have a rear-wheel drive Pentastar six Ram 1500, 2018, and I am at 66,000 miles. The OEM Goodyear Wranglers have treated me just fine but they are getting thin, with very little traction on anything but dry/sorta wet pavement. Most of my miles were highway/around town in south-central New Mexico, but I have driven many hours on Forest Service gravel roads without issue. Now I live in west-central Texas and the worn tread and RWD have gotten me stuck in the mud on the local county roads even several days after rain/T storms. (That's more my fault than the tires'. I am just getting used to how the local soils react to rain.)
I am looking for a quiet, durable tire that has the siping to get me through a very wet Dallas T-storm and maybe give me some traction on gravel/dirt. Only towing would be a light aluminum fishing boat. Oh, and it needs to come under $1K for a set, mounted and balanced.