best way to lower/level the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarKnockerJim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey yall, I have a 2017 reg cab short bed 2wd with the 5.7....I want to level the rear....I also want to do it on a budget....can you cut the rear springs? If so how much to get a 2.5-3inch drop? Has anyone on here done this? Should I just drop the cash and get a spring kit? If so who would yall recommend?
Thanks
James

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with the the ground force 91213 for reg cabs, ive got the mcgaughy 44055 kit and on reg cabs you only get 3/4 to an inch. Mcgaughy doesn't clarify they only give a 2 inch drop on quad or creq cabs.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SO nobody has tried cutting the coils? Old school fashion...

I’ve cut the rear coils a few times. Did it on my two day old CC. Cuts the top of the spring, round your cut off with a grinding wheel so it doesn’t chew through your isolator. Honestly still rides like a 50K+ Truck. Here are the before and after pictures of 1.5 coils cut

3FB5736B-76E6-4AC5-A1A8-9BB5644C44B4.jpeg

DE0D9902-7E02-46C5-A4FC-738B44CA1AB0.jpeg

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I will disagree. Nothing wrong with trimming the rear springs.
You can disagree all you want. Doing hackwork on a new vehicle is borderline insane. If you want to buy something and modify it but don't have the cash to do it well don't do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can disagree all you want. Doing hackwork on a new vehicle is borderline insane. If you want to buy something and modify it but don't have the cash to do it well don't do it.

Yeah I’ve got a 50K truck and have owned 5 4th Gen Rams since new and I don’t have the money... I would buy a lowering kit if it was necessary. If all you want is a minimal reverse level you can trim the coils and be perfectly safe.

I’ve either lowered or raised all my Rams with kits, taking a coil or two out of the rear of these trucks will not cause any issues.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe you should spend less on the vehicle or not modify it if you can't afford to do it right.

It's asinine to buy a vehicle so expensive you can't save up enough money to do clean non hackjob modifications. Especially one that doesn't cost all that much.

Just to add I work for mubea the company that makes the springs for your truck. It ruins them and screws up the spring rate no matter what your opinion is, that's the fact.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe you should spend less on the vehicle or not modify it if you can't afford to do it right.

It's asinine to buy a vehicle so expensive you can't save up enough money to do clean non hackjob modifications. Especially one that doesn't cost all that much.

Just to add I work for mubea the company that makes the springs for your truck. It ruins them and screws up the spring rate no matter what your opinion is, that's the fact.

It isn’t a mater of me being able to afford to buy a kit or not. If i felt a kit was necessary I would have paid for it. If I was concerned about money or I couldn’t afford it I wouldn’t have purchased 5 Rams since 2013. My truck feels no different than stock after removing 1.5 coils.

OP
OP
C

CarKnockerJim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is NOTHING butch about cutting coils to lower a vehicle....people have done it for years....I prefer if this thread wasn't a ******* match about who does what....I asked a simple question. Cutting a coil or two isn't something that would hurt ride or handling, I wouldn't look at lowering one 4 or 5 inches that way though

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Well if you work for a spring company you should know that the springs are cut when you make them,how else can you have a specific length if they don't cut the bar they're made from. Are you the stock boy there,as a spring gets stiffer and it's load rating increases the shorter it gets.Cutting a couple of coils isn't going to hurt anything. Scare tatics aren't the way to go buddy,they just make you look "asinine". I use a cut-off disc in a grinder to cut them,and usually try to grind a bit of a flat spot that tapers the cut coil slightly so it doesn't have as much of a tendenancy to wear through the rubber isolater. I went through both MacGuaphies and Ground Forces dropped springs on my truck,neither set of springs were to my liking as the MacGuaphies were to soft,and I would of had to cut a couple coils off the Groundforce pass side spring to get the truck to sit level,i eventually went back to my original set-up of cut stock R/T springs,that make the truck sit level on the rear and don't have as much tendenancy to bottom out .The last thing i'd worry about is cutting a stock rear spring.If you can afford it,a shorter shock is a good investment so that the springs don't have a tendenancy to come unseated when you put the truck on a lift.

Last edited:

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The springs wire goes through a straightening machine to take any coil out before cold forming. The spring then goes through a FMB coiling machine and is cold formed and cut. The spring then goes through various heat treat, load test and preload processes followed by shot peen and coating processes. The length number of coils, the shape and pitch of the spring and any change over the length makes a huge impact on the end product it's spring rate, and it's ride quality.

You can make any assumption you want, the facts are cutting your springs to save a few hundred bucks is beyond stupid. If you can't afford to do it don't.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The springs wire goes through a straightening machine to take any coil out before cold forming. The spring then goes through a FMB coiling machine and is cold formed and cut. The spring then goes through various heat treat, load test and preload processes followed by shot peen and coating processes. The length number of coils, the shape and pitch of the spring and any change over the length makes a huge impact on the end product it's spring rate, and it's ride quality.

You can make any assumption you want, the facts are cutting your springs to save a few hundred bucks is beyond stupid. If you can't afford to do it don't.

LMAO you do rate right up there as a genius don't you. The only important fact that actually pertains to this discussion is the spring rate,which actually goes up when you cut a coil spring,if the spring rate decreased ,which it doesn't,then I could see your concern over using a cut stock spring.But when the load carrying capacity of the spring actually increases,i'm not fathoming why you think it's a stupid idea,and are basically calling everybody who's ever cut a spring "stupid",your **** ass scare tactics are the only stupid things in this thread.You sir have a good day,and maybe try to use a little more discrepancy about using the word "Stupid" and "Asinine" in your posts from now on.BTW pretty well any aftermarket spring you buy for these trucks is going to need the pass side spring trimmed a little just to get the truck to sit level,very few of the aftermarket spring kits actually sit level when installed on a 4th gen Ram

Last edited:

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good luck in your endeavors. you can try and justify doing stupid ghetto crap to your vehicle, it doesn't change the fact you are doing ignorant ghetto crap. Like I said, you can investigate my company if you like. I'll guarantee as a whole we know a lot more about springs than you do. Espically the ones we manufactured that are on the truck you drive. As well as the hose clamps, transmission springs, sway bars, valve springs, and other various components.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does anyone know how the Inez 4/6 kit goes from 4" to 6" in the rear??? Anyone ;)

Mr Meatcurtains builds a custom set of non-existent springs for you Gary,that way we're not "ignorant ghetto crap",lol. Is ignorant ghetto crap higher or lower then trailer trash on the food chain of life,i've always wondered that,lol