best way to lower/level the rear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If I could find custom springs for a Wrangler for under 500 bucks 7 years ago you can find something for your truck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bob Hall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 crew cab 4wd dually
Engine
There is a good video on you tube about cutting coil springs.

gto64gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 17 crew cab 4 wheel drive 1500 with a hemi. I have cut coil springs on the front since 1968 (with rear leaf springs) and coils all around with NO problems. The dude that works for a spring company must be his own best friend. The only time you can screw up is if you heat them or cut too much off. You cut a little, try them and if it isn't enough, you cut a little more. The more you cut, the stiffer the coil gets. I do have 1 question: To level the rear, how much do you cut off? (Not to lower but to level the rear with the front. Most of the springs I've cut must be cut 1 full coil on both ends of the spring aligns up with the upper and lower coil spring pockets. Any one with experience on this question with same spec truck (no 2 wheel drive regular or extended cab, I would sure appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 17 crew cab 4 wheel drive 1500 with a hemi. I have cut coil springs on the front since 1968 (with rear leaf springs) and coils all around with NO problems. The dude that works for a spring company must be his own best friend. The only time you can screw up is if you heat them or cut too much off. You cut a little, try them and if it isn't enough, you cut a little more. The more you cut, the stiffer the coil gets. I do have 1 question: To level the rear, how much do you cut off? (Not to lower but to level the rear with the front. Most of the springs I've cut must be cut 1 full coil on both ends of the spring aligns up with the upper and lower coil spring pockets. Any one with experience on this question with same spec truck (no 2 wheel drive regular or extended cab, I would sure appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.
Hey, you can look at the companies history. I can guarantee you are 100% incorrect and they are 100% correct. 100 years of a company with a specialty in spring steel is a little more than your "in my opinion"

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Look at the photos I posted on the first page of my 2017 CC 4x4 Laramie. I took 1.5 coils out and achieved 1.75” of rear drop. I have about a half inch of rake and regularly carry around 800-1000 lbs of auto and commercial batteries for extended highway miles. I cannot tell a difference in ride quality.

slodsm

Life begins at -160f
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm curious, with the amount you're throwing around "If you can't afford it" I assume you earn somewhere around the median household income in the US and somehow think it makes you special?

Unless you're an engineer or a serious outside sales rep for whatever company you work for, your income is less than impressive so stop touting "if you can't afford it".

That being said, I've cut more coils off more cars that cost more money than you can count.

Hell, I've cut into new Z06's on several occasions to install solid motor/tranny mounts for owners who didn't wanna pay labor to drop the K member and rear end.

Having the money doesn't mean you want to spend it on crap that's unneeded. That's how you end up NOT having money.

I work in cryogenics now, my W2 looks stupid, I pay more in income taxes than a large part of the country earns a year and I would cut the coil in the back if I just wanted a level without a second thought. Has nothing to do with how much is costs, has to do with how much it's worth versus continuing to grow my retirement, max out my 401k every year, and still do WTF ever I want when I get the urge.

Stop crying about the cash their meat curtains, makes you sound like your username.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I'm curious, with the amount you're throwing around "If you can't afford it" I assume you earn somewhere around the median household income in the US and somehow think it makes you special?

Unless you're an engineer or a serious outside sales rep for whatever company you work for, your income is less than impressive so stop touting "if you can't afford it".

That being said, I've cut more coils off more cars that cost more money than you can count.

Hell, I've cut into new Z06's on several occasions to install solid motor/tranny mounts for owners who didn't wanna pay labor to drop the K member and rear end.

Having the money doesn't mean you want to spend it on crap that's unneeded. That's how you end up NOT having money.

I work in cryogenics now, my W2 looks stupid, I pay more in income taxes than a large part of the country earns a year and I would cut the coil in the back if I just wanted a level without a second thought. Has nothing to do with how much is costs, has to do with how much it's worth versus continuing to grow my retirement, max out my 401k every year, and still do WTF ever I want when I get the urge.

Stop crying about the cash their meat curtains, makes you sound like your username.
If you have the spare money to waste on a 25-35 thousand dollar vehicle and you don't have the money to put 500 worth of springs on a car you need to evaluate your spending habits. 500 today is not a great sum of money and is a typical car payment in the price range.

I couldn't care less if you try and buy from my company. We don't deal in private sales we only sell to vehicle manufacturers and other spring companies like eibach. Seeing as we already supply nearly every piece of spring, as well as produce various chassis and frame parts for multiple fca vehicles I doubt they will read this and bring us more sales.

I'm telling you as a person who has gone down the ghetto route and the doing it right route, as a person who works specifically in the industry, and has in-depth knowledge of how vehicle springs are made, tested, and what standards they need to meet.

Trust me when I say this, if we could make springs shorter than we already do we would be all over it. It would lower our costs, increase our production capability, and meet expectations of the OEM. It's cheaper to make a taller mount that to make a longer spring.

dmt98239.dt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hey yall, I have a 2017 reg cab short bed 2wd with the 5.7....I want to level the rear....I also want to do it on a budget....can you cut the rear springs? If so how much to get a 2.5-3inch drop? Has anyone on here done this? Should I just drop the cash and get a spring kit? If so who would yall recommend?
Thanks
James
http://cftperformance.com/ram-air-lift-4-link-set/ This is what I installed the other day on my 13 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Roadhouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put Mcgaughys springs on my 2012 CC as soon as I could along with trimming my bump stops an inch or so.
20150501_193658.jpg

Last edited:

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For reference here is about 1,400LBS in the truck with cut springs.

43B31619-A39C-472D-93A8-CF58090ACF63.jpeg

D644E1EF-172B-406E-A981-0E31ED5421D8.jpeg

FB35B80B-9BB7-4723-81EF-4D3022B9F1A6.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Does anyone know how the Inez 4/6 kit goes from 4" to 6" in the rear??? Anyone ;)

They use a Belltech 4" rear drop springs then cut two coils off each to obtain a 6" drop, three coils off will obtain a 7" drop.

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same truck and I used the
https://www.suspensionsuperstore.co...2wd-4wd-premium-2-rear-lowering-coils-272920/
Can't say enough good things about them. The have the upper coils wound tighter than most allowing cutting 2 or more coils without affecting the good ride they provide. I woild do it again.
Plus you will find Midnight Storm in their sample pics :)

FYI I will be selling mine in a few months as I plan to go lower this spring. I live in BC Canada so shipping won’t likely be too cheap for Yankees.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
By far the best thread ive read on this forum thus far.

So im a DIY'r and enjoy working on the ol Ram so i get the whole modifying it yourself instead of buying a part thats an expense you dont necessarily need.
Im going to be attempting my first brake job this weekend and i figured while im changing out rotors and calipers i might just attempt this ghetto a$$ spring cutting to level my truck. My only problem is i have sumo springs in place of my rear bumpstops does anyone know if these will affect the leveling?
If you havent guessed by now im no mechanic so take it easy on me im sensitive.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Shouldn't, just be sure not to cut too much spring off. The GroundForce 2" rear springs with new shocks is an easy, inexpensive way to lower the rear.