Best way to Paint chrome bumpers. Help !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Like mentioned, DA them down to a dull look, we used two coats of black epoxy primer, then painted gloss black.
You will get chips later, but easily repaired and repainted bumpers.

Klaus756

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are correct! You have to remover the chrome and use sealing primer before the top coat. I use PPG products and their epoxy primer, DP 90 (black). I have done many blackouts over the years and this way stays. The most recent use of DP90 and bedliner was in my CJ5 Jeep floor. Tough as nails and easy to clean.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 1st truck was an ‘87 Nissan Hardbody back in HS. It had chrome bumpers. My uncle owned a body shop at the time and painted the truck there

We DA’d the chrome down with 80, sprayed primer, color, & clear. that was ‘93 when lacquer was still used. That held the 6 yrs I owned the truck.
paints are better these days

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s

Wrapping a bumper is a waste of money ... that bumper wrap will look like crap with rock nicks and scratches within a year ... Yes paint will eventually get them too , but you can repair those easier than having a huge nick or tear in the wrap ....

But I am going to say it again ... better to spray it with bedliner ... rock chips and nicks will be almost non existent with raptor bed liner ...

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20200807_202955.jpg 20200823_170250.jpg Prep is a big part of covering chrome.the crap is tough and slick.scuff with a side grinder and a flap disc.Raptor liner hides alot. An even scuff is not important.!! Your making something for the liner to hold too.use adhesion promoter.and make sure everything has deep scratches all over.some places use a file where there grinder cant get...!! Alot of prep but the finish product is well worth it !! No more scratches or rust!!!two coats of liner thin one first let it flash dry 30. -45 min between coats.shoot low going up as gravel and road salt will .lay on the ground if you have to.. I had to reshoot alot of the lower stuff cause i didnt get low enough.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought these, work like a charm. I have the pw7 white so it came painted, but you can select the paintable then pay a shop to paint them for you.

https://www.ecoological.com/ram-bumper-covers.html
didnt know this existed. and may be an option i will consider. I dont hate the chrome so much that im at the point where i will commit to the sand/paint approach so looks like this would give "an out" later on

was there any fitment issue or any place where the chrome peaked out?

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
60 grit on a side grinder .rougher is better.use raptor or bulldog adhesion promoter! Anything missed with sander/grinder use a file.the raptor liner hides all uneven surfaces so scuff away! Shoot two coats one real light then second 30-45 mins apart.unmask before it hardens! Done right its awesome no rust or scratches to ever worry about.good luck

20200823_170250.jpg

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you buy chance miss a spot. Or the chrome peeks through a little semi gloss rattle can will take care of that use a good paint with primer. I have bashed my rear bumper with my trailer and hid it with a little sand paper to blend the hard edge of the raptor liner and sprayed it with hammer finish spray paint semi gloss matches spot on to the liner and has texture.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
If you buy chance miss a spot. Or the chrome peeks through a little semi gloss rattle can will take care of that use a good paint with primer. I have bashed my rear bumper with my trailer and hid it with a little sand paper to blend the hard edge of the raptor liner and sprayed it with hammer finish spray paint semi gloss matches spot on to the liner and has texture.

Raptor bendliner has it in spray can now so you can easily fix any scratches or make touch ups ....

Don't use semi gloss as it can react differently and possibly start cracking .... Even though they say you can paint over the bedliner I wouldn't