Best winter A/T tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes I get it’s not a dedicated snow I just need something to get me by atm as snow will be flying soon. Many on here are saying wildpeaks are good for some reason brother didn’t like them as he went from duratracs to those and I have his old set of duratracs. I have a four inch super lift so 35s would fill this out the best. Is there any reason not to go 35 12.5 20?

Also what is the difference between a F rated tire versus an E?
I don’t have a lot of experience with oversized tires, but I do know that for winter use on pavement, narrower tires work better than wide tires.

F rated tires are 12 ply and E rated tires are 10 ply.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I don’t have a lot of experience with oversized tires, but I do know that for winter use on pavement, narrower tires work better than wide tires.

Absolutely. Oversize tires are known as high flotation tires - they're used on crop sprayer trucks and anything going through mud.

Snow is different - you don't want to float on top of snow, you want to pene*trate down to the pavement. Narrow and heavy tires for that, lots of cleats = sipes... not mud lugs.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I definitely agree that it depends where you live. In So Cal, I like to go up to the local snow, but most of the time am driving on the hot (low land) roadways. My BFG A/T KO2 seem to wear out fast. I think I need a harder rubber, but will have to put up with the louder noise?

Minotaur 013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m sold on Kenda Klever RTs. I just put on a new set of 35x12.5 R20 F and only cost $1,100 for the set of 4. These do great all year around and are very quiet despite the aggressive looking tread. The tread is also one of the deepest you can get. Also they are already pinned for studs if you want to run them in icy areas. C5767721-F5BA-4832-BF1A-CD261AAE085B.jpeg

dehdlee Duo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Diesel
I would say I have wildpeaks on my rig and I love them in the snow, these tires on my truck make them stick on the ice and snow with no 4wd on. General APT are good, I have a friend that runs BFG k02 and he loves them in the snow, I don't have much experience with them in a big truck, my SUV loves BFG and Wildpeaks.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Absolutely. Oversize tires are known as high flotation tires - they're used on crop sprayer trucks and anything going through mud.

Snow is different - you don't want to float on top of snow, you want to pene*trate down to the pavement. Narrow and heavy tires for that, lots of cleats = sipes... not mud lugs.
These are both good points on tire width. Some tires I recall only having 3PMSF certs on their narrower tires.

Chuck962500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
20210215_171631.jpg
As the title states I am having an issue with my 1999 1500 sport. I was pulling into a parking spot today and noticed that the 4wd light was on, but was very dim. As I came to a stop in the spot the light was completely lit and the 4wd seems to have engaged by itself. I just moved it around the spot and its seems as if it was in 4wd. I then actually put it into 4wd using the shift lever and then took it back out a few times, but the light stayed on and in 4wd. It was pouring rain so I ran into the store and got what I needed then came back out to mess with it some more. I pulled it out of the spot to see if the light was just staying on, but it was still in 4wd with the shift lever in 2wd. I then moved it farther out into the parking lot to avoid and then tried to shift it out of 4wd by putting the lever in and out, but no dice. I finally got it out by shifting the transfer case into neutral and then into 2wd. I noticed as I was driving back to my apartment, and the light would dimly light up and get brighter as I came to a stop. I couldn't feel it engage again until I had to stop for a light and as I turned the steering wheel fought me a little, the light was dimly lit and then went away as I turned and was going down the road. It has been raining all day, and I do not have a front bumper at the moment. The truck is a 99 1500 sport with the 318, I have never had this issue before, but it has not wanted to engage in 4wd before, the light would be on, but it would be in 4wd. I found a vacuum leak from the manifold and that fixed that issue. I'm hoping it has to do with the rain, but I could not find anything that matched my problem. I appreciate all of the input that you all may have.

I know there is a lot of writing above, but it was needed to accurately describe my issue.

Was out hunting this past week. It was from -20 to -29 in the mornings, 2021 2500, 6.4 Hemi was parked outside, no in car warmer or block heater. Truck started great, however when cold, from -18 to -24 the 4WD indicator light on the switch would flicker and have a dull light. When it got even colder the light would not illuminate and none of the writing on the switch, 2WD, 4WD, 4 Low etc would light up. All the rest of the truck switches lit fine. As the truck began to warm up the switch and lights would start to flicker off and on and finally come on full time once warm. Even when not lit up, the truck seemed to switch from 2WD to 4WD lock just fine. Has anyone else run into this?

Smaller LED's don't do will in the cold.

I know this has been explained a million times but I really need to find a tire this week had brother duratracs 275 60 20…and they got me thru an inspection. The fronts are cupped now and she needs new shoes and alignment. I was going to possibly do duratracs again but can’t find them anywhere in a 35. I’ve also been thinking of wildpeaks but kind of like the duratracs aggressive tread. I’ve also heard Toyo AT3 throw out by a member and even. I’ve even checked out Mickey Thompson BajaBoss. Generally just need something safe that I feel like the gf can drive truck and not end up in the ditch.
Bfg 315 75 is a 35 " and these ko2 at. Baja champions now have the three peaks rating they really take all the fun out of skating on the streets.i know at 50 I shouldn't be drifting in 4 high but if there's no one around ............

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’m sold on Kenda Klever RTs. I just put on a new set of 35x12.5 R20 F and only cost $1,100 for the set of 4. These do great all year around and are very quiet despite the aggressive looking tread. The tread is also one of the deepest you can get. Also they are already pinned for studs if you want to run them in icy areas.
I'd be hesitant to recommend those tires for use in winter conditions. They're M+S rated (virtually meaningless rating) but not 3PMSF rated. Just because a tire has a chunky tread lug pattern and is pinned for studs doesn't mean it works well in winter. It's more about having sipes and tire compound than tread pattern. And since you just put those on you really don't have experience with them. I hope they work well for you, but be prepared to slide around with them.

Elvira

Reaction score
Tires are a personal choice, no one will be able to advise you on the best tire. There are way too many variables, your throttle pressure, vehicle, types of snow conditions, air pressures etc. You need a tire that is a softer rubber compound for winter conditions, able to throw and or clean its self of snow through sipes and tread, but then you will loose the mileage life because of wear. Some manufacturers have even incorporated walnut shells in their rubber compounds to help with traction. Pick a tire that you like to look at or looks good on your truck, has good reviews, good warranty and will achieve the required traction you need where you live. Too be honest, it is a crap shoot with many tires on which are the best.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I use Tire Rack ratings to separate the good from the bad, at least. You also get the relative price differences, and buyer reviews.

Ramalanche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I have the Goodyear ultraterrain from discount tire and love them. Great tread, great price, and 3PSF.

Mikeffoxford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 hemi
I know this has been explained a million times but I really need to find a tire this week had brother duratracs 275 60 20…and they got me thru an inspection. The fronts are cupped now and she needs new shoes and alignment. I was going to possibly do duratracs again but can’t find them anywhere in a 35. I’ve also been thinking of wildpeaks but kind of like the duratracs aggressive tread. I’ve also heard Toyo AT3 throw out by a member and even. I’ve even checked out Mickey Thompson BajaBoss. Generally just need something safe that I feel like the gf can drive truck and not end up in the ditch.
I just put a set of Sumitomo encounter AT I read reviews and saw what I liked and do some plowing so hope they get me through what ever we get in winter

1972Dart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I also had a set of Sumitomo Encounter AT on my 2500 Ram Diesel, over 50,000 kms and they were great on snow and ice ( as long as I was driving to the road conditions). For a 10ply tire I was really impressed with the traction and the grip in snow. Even did my fair share of pulling out vehicles from the ditches.

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Christmas 2021 i bought myself a set of Nokian Outposts 275/65R20's AT's.. Brand new model tires, finally showed up late Feb and have kept them on ever since. Weren't cheap in these parts but bite snow good, no different than the factory Wranglers for highway noise in summer months either. KO's are decent tires also but to much whirrr for me..

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m sold on Kenda Klever RTs. I just put on a new set of 35x12.5 R20 F and only cost $1,100 for the set of 4. These do great all year around and are very quiet despite the aggressive looking tread. The tread is also one of the deepest you can get. Also they are already pinned for studs if you want to run them in icy areas. View attachment 508239
I’ve seen some guys at work with these. Kind of wonder how they do in the snow.

DaRealSully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi MDS
I was hoping someone would chime in with experience on the Yokohama Geolanders my Warlock came with...

gspille

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m on my second set of Wildpeaks on my ‘15 and love them still. I’ve gotten around just fine, even in over a foot of snow.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m sold on Kenda Klever RTs. I just put on a new set of 35x12.5 R20 F and only cost $1,100 for the set of 4. These do great all year around and are very quiet despite the aggressive looking tread. The tread is also one of the deepest you can get. Also they are already pinned for studs if you want to run them in icy areas. View attachment 508239
Have you run these all year? How is the road noise? With the deep lugs are they squishy feeling on corners? Are they buzzy feeling on the steering wheel? Curious about summer use as well. Looking to replace my nitto ridge grapplers next spring so curious about this tire as a replacement. Thanks!

PolarRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had great luck with Bridgestone Dueler ATs in the past and have gotten 80k+ out of a set with good tread remaining. I live in ND and I’m VERY familiar with winter driving. I run a lot of miles and live in the country so my driving is mostly highway and gravel with some town driving. I run around +/- 100k miles per year between a few pickups and have ran virtually every major AT tire at one time or another. I run Wildpeak ATs on my Ram dually and would/will get them again. They are awesome in snow and ice as well as towing 20k+ pounds in all weather and conditions (including snow and/or mud). Also have a F350 7.3 SRW with BFG ATs and while they serve me in snowy/off-road conditions (can crawl through snow up to the doors without spinning tires) I have friends who’ve complained about mileage drops and poor wearing with these tires on theirs. I’ve always heard great things about Coopers (made in USA) but personally I had one issue with a brand new one not being round when installed - however once that issue was resolved they were fine, but didn’t keep the pickup around long enough to test longevity.