beware the scehduled maintenance service "recommendations"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember an acura dealer telling my daughter when she was in for an oil change that she needed a brake fluid flush or it would void any brake system warranty. Car had 30000 miles. I called the shop and said that was ********. I said it's not in the owners manual maint schedule. AND I told him that if there was any master cylinder/ caliper etc failure while under the factory warranty it will be covered 100% free so do you have a problem with that, there was silence so I said thats what I figured, dont try ripping my daughter off again.

I have a good Acura service dept story - where we bought our old '03 TL, the whole department was excellent. nice people, no upsells, etc. Free oil changes for life...sure enough about 4 years later the whole dept. turned over. Horrible people, everything is extra (even though warranty), etc.

Went for a free oil change, got called in when it was done "you need to do the 40K mile service or else your warranty is void". Of course said service was 500+ and the only real thing done during it was...an oil change.

"No thanks, Im good" "but we'll have to void your warranty"

"Its march of 2007 right now, we bought the car in may of 2003...you really want to void 2 months of warranty go ahead, but if anything on the car breaks in those 2 months, you, me and Honda Corporate are going to have some nice phone calls"

They never did void my warranty lol

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a good Acura service dept story - where we bought our old '03 TL, the whole department was excellent. nice people, no upsells, etc. Free oil changes for life...sure enough about 4 years later the whole dept. turned over. Horrible people, everything is extra (even though warranty), etc.

Went for a free oil change, got called in when it was done "you need to do the 40K mile service or else your warranty is void". Of course said service was 500+ and the only real thing done during it was...an oil change.

"No thanks, Im good" "but we'll have to void your warranty"

"Its march of 2007 right now, we bought the car in may of 2003...you really want to void 2 months of warranty go ahead, but if anything on the car breaks in those 2 months, you, me and Honda Corporate are going to have some nice phone calls"

They never did void my warranty lol
Tell them to F off and find another dealer to give your buisness to.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No longer have the car but yeah thats pretty much what I did. I usually only go to dealers while the vehicle is under warranty anyway, once out of warranty they can bite me. Its far easier and faster for me to do the work myself, instead of waiting 10 days for an appointment (my RAM dealers are really good for that....seriously you have 10 solid days of work every time I call for a simple oil change?)

1stHEMI

Reaction score
I was a service writer for an independent shop. I was honest, my technicians and bosses weren't. I know they were there to make money, but I got tired of paying the techs an hour to diagnose a problem when all they were doing was replacing parts. They would come to me after 15 minutes claiming it was the starter, but never diagnosed the real problem. I was always the one to sell the starter to the customer, then have to go back and sell them an ignition switch later - which was the actual part that failed. I stopped paying techs an hour to diagnose. They didn't like it, but they learned that they either did the work or didn't get paid.

When I was at the dealership, yeah.. they pushed all the BG stuff and it was fine for those who relied on the service department 100%. But I had seen a lot of unnecessary upsells over the years, and saw a lot of techs throw new parts in the trash and turn in a ticket claiming they replaced the part. I do have friends at CJDR dealerships.. they will steer me right, but too far to go to them for service.

I only go to the dealer for warranty... the rest I do the work or take it to a friend's shop.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man the only thing on the list that might need done is changing the diff fluid.
The rest is bs.

A catch can will keep you from ever needing your intake cleaned.

A can of HEET in the gas would remove any water IF it had some.

BG engine restorer ? 32k thats surley not needed..lol

Dealer had a list for my wifes Mustang for her 60k service at the tune of $850 bucks with only 2 things on the list that needed to be done and neither that hard.

How safe is Heet to use ? Thanks

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It it always interesting to hear everyone's experience with this, but I go into it fully expecting a dealer service department to attempt to sell me services. You have to remember they are not FCA. They are a private business that happens to sell FCA products and services. That's what they do. They would not be in business from warranty work alone. I kind of WANT a service adviser to at least try with me, because I have no issue making them squirm a bit and the bad ones will squirm. It is refreshing to actually get a SA that's worth their salt. If you're clueless enough to agree to a "required", "fuel system cleaner" or the likes, why should they not try? They are actually doing something and providing some service, regardless to if it does the vehicle any good or not. Same concept of changing your engine oil every 3000mi instead of 7500mi. Is it benefiting your vehicle? Who knows. Too many variables at play.

I've actually witnessed older dudes with Lincolns being serviced at a local Ford chain's "Quick Lane". "Do what ever you guys think she needs!" Talk about a blank check. I say go for it.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have many stories as you folks do but one of the best ones dealt with my 2011 Mustang. Took it into the local Ford dealer for an oil change just after the three year warranty. They told me my battery was really bad and had to be replaced right now. Fast forward to today 5 years later) and I am still running the original battery.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I was a service writer for an independent shop. I was honest, my technicians and bosses weren't. I know they were there to make money, but I got tired of paying the techs an hour to diagnose a problem when all they were doing was replacing parts. They would come to me after 15 minutes claiming it was the starter, but never diagnosed the real problem. I was always the one to sell the starter to the customer, then have to go back and sell them an ignition switch later - which was the actual part that failed. I stopped paying techs an hour to diagnose. They didn't like it, but they learned that they either did the work or didn't get paid.

When I was at the dealership, yeah.. they pushed all the BG stuff and it was fine for those who relied on the service department 100%. But I had seen a lot of unnecessary upsells over the years, and saw a lot of techs throw new parts in the trash and turn in a ticket claiming they replaced the part. I do have friends at CJDR dealerships.. they will steer me right, but too far to go to them for service.

I only go to the dealer for warranty... the rest I do the work or take it to a friend's shop.

The contents of this post is one of the many reasons I do all my own work and only go to a stealer if I absolutely cannot figure something out. Tech's throwing new parts in the trash? Wow. Exactly the reason if I have a stealer do any work i ask for the old parts back (and I know what they look like or otherwise have them marked!) I hate crooked/dishonest businesses/people. This stuff is expensive enough so as it is and it's hard enough to earn and save money these days.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The "Radio requires service" message:

My 2017 Rebel had this...brand new.

Replaced the head unit...didn't fix it.

Replaced the antenna and it fixed the issue. the antenna line was "kinked" in the headliner causing the issue.

Next up would have been replacing the entire line from the antenna to the head unit...thankfully that wasn't the problem.

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a similar experience. Bought my truck with ~33,000 miles, so I took it in for the recommended inspections by the owner's manual for 30,000 miles. The service girl just casually told me that their recommended servicing for that mileage would just cost me a little over $1,000, when the manual recommended just a few visual inspections of components. Needless to say I turned that offer down.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
When you find a 100% honest service department please give me directions to that planet!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Every single Chrysler Service dept I have ever used.

Pay attention, this is so easy.

I simply tell them, here is my truck, here are my issues, here is my extended warranty.
If it's covered, under the warranty, you get to fix it.
If it ain't covered under the Warranty, I will fix it.
Questions?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every single Chrysler Service dept I have ever used.

Pay attention, this is so easy.

I simply tell them, here is my truck, here are my issues, here is my extended warranty.
If it's covered, under the warranty, you get to fix it.
If it ain't covered under the Warranty, I will fix it.
Questions?

hehe that works!

My truck only has 7K miles on it, has had a couple common issues (leaking third brake light, defective drivers side mirror heater, 2K RPM vibration). Dealer has fixed everything except 2K RPM vibration, since they (and I, for that matter) have not found a truck that DOESNT have the 2K RPM vibration. All fixed under warranty without question, thats never been my issue.

I havent taken it there for anything other than those issues and the first oil change (which was free through the dealership). I imagine the "upsell time" wont happen until later in my factory warranty. I do have MaxCare Lifetime as well, though, so maybe Ill never get the upsell bs.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealership recently tried selling me over $1400 in maintenance at 32000 miles. Over $700 of which was brakes, which are perfectly fine. They even lied on the paperwork saying the pads are down to 4mm. They actually had about 8mm.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealership recently tried selling me over $1400 in maintenance at 32000 miles. Over $700 of which was brakes, which are perfectly fine. They even lied on the paperwork saying the pads are down to 4mm. They actually had about 8mm.

My (formerly good) Infiniti service dept. did that over the summer.

My G37 has an annoying clunking noise from the front right of the car, it sounds like something is loose there but I couldnt find it myself. Paid their diagnostic fee to let them find it. Of course, they couldnt find the source and said it was normal, but did give me a list of things that needed to be fixed for about $2K. Brakes, mostly, but tire, fluid and filter changes too. They really made a big deal of the brakes like the car was going to drive off the side of the road but I told them dont bother Ill just do it myself.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just had a helluva good time at the local dodge dealer. This past Thursday I brought in my '11 Ram 1500 in for inspection, tire rotation and oil change. 3 hours later I get "the call." Yeah, Mr. Griffin, all your lug nuts are swollen (ouch), we'll need to chisel them off (double ouch)and replace them. Really? I say. I've never had any problem with before. Yeah, he goes on, the emergency brake is locked up too . And your rack and pinion steering is shot. So it's failed inspection and i don't know what you want us to do. You're looking at $280 for new lug nuts and probably $1500 For rack and pinion steering. We won't know about the emergency brake until we get into it. Stop, I say, don't touch anything, I'm coming to get it. Next I call my local mechanic who runs a hole in the wall place, and is honest as the day is long. Dan, he says, you never take it to the dealer for an inspection! I know, i know, I was in a hurry and they're convenient (located right down the road from me). Bring it over, he says. I show up at the dealer and my truck is parked back across the street. Hmm, I think, I thought the emergency brake was locked up. I go in and the service advisor tells me they did the oil change, took off the inspection sticker, charged me $15 for the inspection, but they'll put a new sticker on when I bring it back and they can see the emergency brake is fixed and the steering. What about the brakes, I ask. He looks at his paperwork, brakes are fine. How did you check the brakes if you couldn't get the lug nuts off. Well, uh, hmm, I , um... The tech probably did a visual inspection. Hmm. NYS requires at least one tire be removed during an inspection. No answer.

I dropped the truck off with my guy, the next day (Friday) at 9 am I call him, he says we had all the tires off in 5 minutes, your lug nuts are fine. Your rack and pinion steering is fine. You've got a sway bar link that's a little worn that I can replace - do it, I say- and I'll adjust your parking brake, and take it around the corner and have the guy I know put an inspection sticker on it. $150 and I'm done.

I call the dealer and get the service manager back on the phone and I say to him, look, I don't know what you pull with other people, but you probably aren't betting on them to have a local guy that they're friends with that they can take it to like I do. The lug nuts were all fine, the rack and pinion steering was fine, it did need a sway bar link that your Tech didn't catch, so I just want you to know how unacceptable this is and I won't be back. Oh, no, no, no, that's not how we do business, I would never condone that kind of behavior at my shop, we're going to have a talk with that guy, believe me we don't do business this way, yada yada yada, (he's a fast talker,) on and on and on. About an hour later I get a call from the general manager at the dealership, leaving me a message hey if there's anything we can do to make it up to you, I'm sort of speechless, can't believe this would ever happen, on and on and on. They also called my local guy that did the work and caught them trying to fleece me, and he told them straight up I don't know what truck your Tech was looking at but none of that work needed to be done.

The dealer was scrambling because they knew I was going to get the survey, which I did. I wasn't even going to call the general manager back, but the next day, Saturday, my mother and sister were in town and we were going to take a day trip to visit my oldest daughter in college. Unfortunately there were six of us and all of my vehicles only hold 5. Well I thought, I wonder how serious he was about trying to make this up to me. So I went ahead and call the general manager, he answered, he sort of went on and on about how sorry he was we don't do business with this way yeah, I said well , you can't turn back the clock but you know we wanted to take a day trip but there's six of us and I don't have a vehicle that seats six he said no problem come on down I'll give you a loaner for the weekend. I then made a joke that it sure would be nice to drive a new Ram but I'm guessing you don't want me putting 300 miles on one of your new trucks. I showed up and, get this, he had a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited Edition all gassed up and ready to go. I open the door up- bucket seats- it only seats 5! I hung my head and said I don't even want to look at it anymore and he said Oh I didn't hear you say on the phone that you needed it to seat six. So in the end I ended up with a minivan! But the good news is at least they tried to make it up to me (although probably what they were hoping was after I drove that new RAM for the weekend I'd end up spending 60 grand on a new truck! LOL)

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My "lesson learned" was the Cabin Air Filter on my Outback.. Took it in for a Recall and was told it was due. I said OK thinking how much could it cost?
$63.40 later I found out... Yeah they got me.. I now buy them in a 3 pack on Amazon for $20 and watch the u-tube video