beware the scehduled maintenance service "recommendations"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Dgriffi2 I think "just" a loaner would be the least Id ask for! Although Id probably never return to that dealer, you could ask for one of the oil change/tire rotation packages. If they enter it correctly, it shows up on your "account" in the computer, and you should be able to use them at ANY dealer. So, a win-win....free oil change(s) AND you avoid that dealer again.

Im sorry but dealers really need to get their crap together. The days of the completely uninformed customer are rapidly coming to an end, if they want to gain business, its adapt or die time. Not just service but sales too. The foreign manufacturer model seems to be a bit better, the domestic brand model seems to be stuck in the antiquated 1950s version.

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@Dgriffi2 I think "just" a loaner would be the least Id ask for! Although Id probably never return to that dealer, you could ask for one of the oil change/tire rotation packages. If they enter it correctly, it shows up on your "account" in the computer, and you should be able to use them at ANY dealer. So, a win-win....free oil change(s) AND you avoid that dealer again.

Im sorry but dealers really need to get their crap together. The days of the completely uninformed customer are rapidly coming to an end, if they want to gain business, its adapt or die time. Not just service but sales too. The foreign manufacturer model seems to be a bit better, the domestic brand model seems to be stuck in the antiquated 1950s version.

Yeah, I probably could have pressed for more, but the local Enterprise didn't have a minivan, so an SUV that fit 6, comfortably was going to be about $100 with tax, not including gas. I really was just over the whole ordeal at that point. (Ironically, this dealership was the only one around who knew how to program the radio when I swapped out the base 5" on our Chrysler 200c with the nice 8.4 uconnect. Most of them said "you can't do that, " to which I said, "I'm watching a YouTube video of a guy doing it now!" Do they think we're morons?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I probably could have pressed for more, but the local Enterprise didn't have a minivan, so an SUV that fit 6, comfortably was going to be about $100 with tax, not including gas. I really was just over the whole ordeal at that point. (Ironically, this dealership was the only one around who knew how to program the radio when I swapped out the base 5" on our Chrysler 200c with the nice 8.4 uconnect. Most of them said "you can't do that, " to which I said, "I'm watching a YouTube video of a guy doing it now!" Do they think we're morons?

Yes. But it could just be because THEY are.

I do seriously wonder if they've been "brainwashed" over the years with "cant be done" or "normal characteristic" or "warranty void" explanations, from the higher ups they work for. Or if they willingly say it. Or if they have no choice but to work where they work but if you asked them on the outside they would say "hell no thats only what Im forced to say at work". I kinda feel bad because I think its more the guys doing the actual work just CYA-ing so they dont get fired. The managers and above I think spew the misinformation enough that they actually believe it by now.

Bowzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sold off the '18...maybe another soon.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"...You have to remember they are not FCA. They are a private business that happens to sell FCA products and services..."

@Dgriffi2"...Im sorry but dealers really need to get their crap together. The days of the completely uninformed customer are rapidly coming to an end, if they want to gain business, its adapt or die time. Not just service but sales too..."

I was yelling "NO" at my computer screen as I read a lot of the comments until coming to the above acknowledging these are not FCA, it's a locally owned (Sometimes a big group like Autonation) business. The vast majority do not operate on return business but instead market themselves with that big ole branding they have payed a whole lot to have out front. One good "full service" buyer makes up for 3 or 4 saying no thanks. If you get offended, welp...hate you feel that way but excuse me as I speak to the next three people behind you in line that don't focus on the stuff past "Is my car clean & runs?" and would assume just pay quickly to do it all. Take the time to call them out and you won't see change as much as some means to appease you to not give them bad marks in public or go to the manufacturer to complain (Good examples here in the thread for that, too.)
My experience, you can tell some places do go extra for the quality and service mark but you have to search to find them. It comes from the ownership first in what they want to prioritize for the sales floor and the shop (usually they operate under 2 different company names if you look closer). They're out there. I'm yet to find a good RAM dealership in the Houston market for the service, though.

IMHO, I just don't ever see a need to get close to a dealer service bay unless a specific warranty issue is at hand. That's the only thing they provide of value is to assure warranty support is formally provided...and you still have to watch closely since they can only charge what the manufacturer pays them directly. I far prefer my local small guy shop as long as he has the tools (God-awful lot of computer driven stuff nowadays) and know-how for the job.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
I didn't notice where you are from i hope its not Floridaaa the Lakeland dealer is terrible , truck was going to have a full service and oil change 2 tires change i go to leave with the truck after being there all day only thing done was the oil change , they will never see my truck again

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of these guys are EX HVAC techs. Car dealers and AC Repair/diagnose people will tell you ANYTHING to get your money
Screw all that FCA CRAP AND THE DEALERS AS WELL. If it aint broke dont fix it is my motto that works for ME. I'll do the $30 oil change every 5000 and that is IT

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Trust me the consumer is more uninformed now than ever when it comes to their vehicle service and maintenance.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The dealer took advantage of your laziness which is not a surprise. Dealers make by far the majority of their profits from the sale of parts and service and not from the sale of the vehicle.

When I buy a new vehicle I take the manuals and service guides and create my own cheat sheet that shows at which mileage or dates I need to have maintenance performed. In the case of the differential on my truck the change interval is never as unless the rear axle is submerged in water it does not need to be changed.

I know that if I use TES389 ATF in the transmission it is good for 50,000 miles or 24 months, whichever occurs sooner, but if I use TES295 ATF the change interval is every 150,000 miles or 48 months, whichever comes sooner. The dealer only has the TES389 ATF as they want be to be paying twice as often for the fluid change - no surprise.

So long as you have the paperwork for the maintenance your warranty is not jeopardized.

Fcrowder49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 7.5
I took my 16 Ram Sport to the dealer for a routine oil change, fix the 'clunk' on the drive shaft, and figure out what is going on with my radio. (I have this red screen that says return vehicle to dealer for service) and the recall on the tail gate latch.
It had 32K miles on it and i change the oil between 5-6K miles. I was told it was due for a 30K mile scheduled maintenance. I vaguely remembered what was required for the service but was told i needed a rear diff fluid change, intake cleaning, water vapor in the gas tank treatment, and something called a BG engine restoration service.

$450 later, my radio still had the message, still had a driveshaft clunk, but i had an oil change, recall work done, and they rotated my tires.

i should have asked to see the service required for the 30K, and not been talked into all the other crap.

Fool me once shame on you, but they will not get a chance to fool me twice.

Now they are calling and emailing me to be sure I complete the customer satisfaction survey. I can't wait!!

TopBanana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L CTD
The fleecing at my local stealership (Jones Junction CDJR) is pretty bad. Several years back they tried to charge me $100 to change a cabin air filter ($10 part that that took me 10 min because I hadn't done it before) and $300 for an visual undercar inspection.
I called BS bigtime.

They have what they call "Jones for Life"...a "lifetime engine warranty". Problem is, Jones has to perform EVERY factory recommended service or they void their warranty. I went at them calling that BS too. Told the GM that they could let me do everything except the big stuff (trans flush, coolant flush, etc) or they could continue to change my oil for the life of the vehicle, void their stupid warranty, and they would never get another dime out of me. They agreed to let me do the work. I sold that car 3 months later and never went back.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fleecing at my local stealership (Jones Junction CDJR) is pretty bad. Several years back they tried to charge me $100 to change a cabin air filter ($10 part that that took me 10 min because I hadn't done it before) and $300 for an visual undercar inspection.
I called BS bigtime.

They have what they call "Jones for Life"...a "lifetime engine warranty". Problem is, Jones has to perform EVERY factory recommended service or they void their warranty. I went at them calling that BS too. Told the GM that they could let me do everything except the big stuff (trans flush, coolant flush, etc) or they could continue to change my oil for the life of the vehicle, void their stupid warranty, and they would never get another dime out of me. They agreed to let me do the work. I sold that car 3 months later and never went back.
My dealer has a "lifetime power train warranty" that is like that. When I was hammering on them to lower the price of my truck, they agreed to my 200.00 lower price as long as they didn't have to give me their lifetime power train warranty.

So, they value it at a whopping $200.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

slam 425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 e-torque
I became friends with a guy that used to be a service advisor at a dealership he told me that all advisors work on commission that's why there is always an attempt at an up-sell

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What gets me is part of dealership oil change service is supposedly to check air filter. Since filter needs to be pulled to check it's BS to charge $40 to install a $20 filter that they've already removed. Just like charging extra for tire rotation when they already have them off for brake inspection. And they wonder why they're called stealerships.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What gets me is part of dealership oil change service is supposedly to check air filter. Since filter needs to be pulled to check it's BS to charge $40 to install a $20 filter that they've already removed. Just like charging extra for tire rotation when they already have them off for brake inspection. And they wonder why they're called stealerships.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Kind of like how a synthetic oil change is 75.00 more than conventional oil...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well so far my local ram dealership has been awesome. Only used them 3 times for recalls, no bs from anyone. The gm dealership that I’ve used for my wife’s car is a total ****show. Claimed she needed new brakes, battery and tires. It had all been changed about a year prior!

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a dealer tell me my truck needed a 4 wheel alignment not just the front wheels. I left right after asking how they would go about adjusting the thrust angle of the rear axle and they couldn't answer me.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I had a dealer tell me my truck needed a 4 wheel alignment not just the front wheels. I left right after asking how they would go about adjusting the thrust angle of the rear axle and they couldn't answer me.

Lol. Sadly this is not the first time I've heard of this.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
By far, the worst part of new vehicle ownership is the dealers. Most are unrelenting at trying to beat the money out of you and they will do or say anything to get it. My brothers wife had a Toyota that she hated but the dealer treated so well she is considering trading her Trailhawk that she loves for another model Toyota just because of dealer conduct. You are really lucky if you have a dealer that treats customers like they should be treated.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963