Big horn question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
So the Truck was A bust back to the Grind Mechanically it checked out great no codes and it ran like a top my guy immediately made a b-line for the Flares and yanked them not terrible but there was some rust developing under them eventually it would have started eating away at the wheel well.The truck was hit in the Front the dealer may or may not have known it was not on the Carfax but my guy spotted the aftermarket Bumper on the front end when he was under the rig it was missing a couple of clips and such not a biggie but he knew right away it was hit in the front. The rest of the underneath was ok for A Northeast vehicle not great but not awful I've certainly seen worse the Muffler clamps saw better days they would need to be replaced along with the oil pan eventually so the underneath was kind of middle of the road at this point I already knew if I really wanted this rig he would have to come down substantially. I really loved this rig the topper was my guy noticing some paint starting to flake and bubble right along the roofline in a couple of spots so that was kind of the final nail in the Coffin so the truck was a Bust kind of a kick in the gut but hey better to know now than later.2 or years into this truck I would have been dealing with Rust issues on the surface it looked good but my guy being a body guy knew exactly what to look for. I'm disappointed but it just was not meant to be better to find out now than later 2-3 years into the vehicle.

So back to the grind I just need to be patient as bad as I want to jump into A new vehicle I still have my Yukon so I'm not without a vehicle I just have to be patient the right one will come around I've thought about going online and looking at some rigs in some states that don't have such a rust issue but I hate to buy a vehicle without physically seeing it.

So back to looking I'll keep you guys posted!

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Searching for a new truck is fun but can be taxing, especially when you think you've found your truck. I searched for about 2 months before I found mine and couldn't be happier. Sold my 2010 1500 to a family friend and he was pretty happy with the deal I gave him plus he knows I take care of my vehicles. Patience is your friend, when the right truck appears you'll know it. Good luck!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So the Truck was A bust back to the Grind Mechanically it checked out great no codes and it ran like a top my guy immediately made a b-line for the Flares and yanked them not terrible but there was some rust developing under them eventually it would have started eating away at the wheel well.The truck was hit in the Front the dealer may or may not have known it was not on the Carfax but my guy spotted the aftermarket Bumper on the front end when he was under the rig it was missing a couple of clips and such not a biggie but he knew right away it was hit in the front. The rest of the underneath was ok for A Northeast vehicle not great but not awful I've certainly seen worse the Muffler clamps saw better days they would need to be replaced along with the oil pan eventually so the underneath was kind of middle of the road at this point I already knew if I really wanted this rig he would have to come down substantially. I really loved this rig the topper was my guy noticing some paint starting to flake and bubble right along the roofline in a couple of spots so that was kind of the final nail in the Coffin so the truck was a Bust kind of a kick in the gut but hey better to know now than later.2 or years into this truck I would have been dealing with Rust issues on the surface it looked good but my guy being a body guy knew exactly what to look for. I'm disappointed but it just was not meant to be better to find out now than later 2-3 years into the vehicle.

So back to the grind I just need to be patient as bad as I want to jump into A new vehicle I still have my Yukon so I'm not without a vehicle I just have to be patient the right one will come around I've thought about going online and looking at some rigs in some states that don't have such a rust issue but I hate to buy a vehicle without physically seeing it.

So back to looking I'll keep you guys posted!
I pause everytime I see what look like fresh, aftermarket flairs on an older truck. My son got bit on that once.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 067078 miles.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At 140,000 miles the engine could still have a lot left. However, it’s 9 years old so other things could be warn out or already replaced….brakes, ball joints, shocks, bushings, etc. But if the price is good, those things are really relatively minor…just a pita. Good luck

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2014 sport with the 8 speed, 3.9 gears. I get much better mileage with it than I did with a 2009 Laramie. I just have 75KM on it , never had any problems, but ,I have had no problems with the last 4 trucks ( hemi's)
I have had problems odd time with the truck not picking up the key fob, one time ,I did not have the built in key with me , pita, but that is only problem. It is a club cab as I want more box, and kids are all gone., Club cab is OK for the dog

A P.S. too bad about he rust, By the way, I hate flares, but I am a old guy.

Last edited:

Dgriffi2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In case no one has said it, look for rust under the rear wheel wells

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also look for rust where the fenders meet the doors at the bottom. Leaves tend to get in there & rot.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
Searching for a new truck is fun but can be taxing, especially when you think you've found your truck. I searched for about 2 months before I found mine and couldn't be happier. Sold my 2010 1500 to a family friend and he was pretty happy with the deal I gave him plus he knows I take care of my vehicles. Patience is your friend, when the right truck appears you'll know it. Good luck!
It’s always fun looking for a new truck especially once you find exactly what you want. I looked for around two months before I found mine.

Attachments

• BB2CC655-4FE3-41BF-ADE5-D96A29BC400F.jpeg
    BB2CC655-4FE3-41BF-ADE5-D96A29BC400F.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 9

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also look for rust where the fenders meet the doors at the bottom. Leaves tend to get in there & rot.
Yes. You can flush that area out with a garden hose from up above, in the opening next to the hood hinge. If there are large leaves you may have to use a non-metalic rod to clear the clog.

I've noticed that on DTs (5th gens) the opening at the bottom of the front fender is much larger.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 067130 miles.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes. You can flush that area out with a garden hose from up above, in the opening next to the hood hinge. If there are large leaves you may have to use a non-metalic rod to clear the clog.

I've noticed that on DTs (5th gens) the opening at the bottom of the front fender is much larger.
I found there's enough room to get the leaves out at the bottom by opening the doors and getting to the lower part of the fender through there.

b8ascrub

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I’m looking for a Ram truck with the way the market is any vehicle really is hard to come by nowadays.the only pickup I‘ve had was a Dakota years ago!with that being said I’m moving on from my 04 Yukon she’s still running good but the mileage is stacking up and it seems like every month or so I’m changing something else this week was the water pump my cat is on the horizon so before I start sinking more and more money into it I think it’s time to move on from her.I’ve always wanted a full size pick up and absolutely love the look of Ram trucks with their big bold stance so I’ve been looking and looking and came across two that are within my price range.

Before I get into what I found I have to say I want a truck well just to have a truck!It’s going to be my weekend vehicle really no hauling or towing to speak of unless I need to.Living in the northeast we have our share of winters where I need to drive in snow nothing like way up north but we get our snowstorms living in NY!I know A Ram is more than capable of hauling just about anything and handling some inclimate weather but it’s more of my daily driver and that’s the sole purpose not pulling or hauling it’s more to drive and enjoy.I love the look of Rams I am looking at crew cabs as I want the extra room in the second row to haul around my daughter her friends and on occasion the big goofy Shepard.

So I found two Rams if someone can chime in on Them and if you think I would notice much of a difference between the two.I’m coming from a heavy 4 speed Yukon 5.3 I have 33’s on it with 3.93 gears so I know how it drives and what kind of umphh it has.It’s a beast of a vehicle but big boxy and heavy I will tell you it handles like a beast in the snow even did some towing with her a few times easy peasy!

The two Rams I came across appear to be in very good shape from the pictures! I know I need to go see them in person but they both look to be in good shape.They are both the same $$ which vehicles are inflated right now but it is what it is I’m not overly concerned with the mileage as it’s going to be mainly my weekend driver as I use my company truck to travel to and from work

truck #1 2013 Bighorn 121k miles loaded with options Silver 5.7 6 speed it Has step bars looks very very clean well maintained car fax had a nice long history of maintenance on it.the gearing on this rig is 3.93’s same gearing that’s in my Yukon!

truck #2 2015 Bighorn 107k miles quite loaded as well no step bars though that’s something I would need to add on later Granite metallic 5.7 8speed looks pretty clean as well maybe not as well maintained as the 13 but still maintained carfax has a pretty lengthy history of maintenance as well.not sure of the gearing on this truck.

The silver is on a bigger Chain car dealer lot the gray is on a smaller used car lot not sure if this is good or bad anything you buy used you are taking a chance.You are rolling the dice a big chain dealer I may have more negotiating room possibly and support not quite sure they are both pretty local to me though so it’s not like I’m driving 5 or 6 towns away to look at vehicles!

when I compare the two the one thing sticking out is the 6spd or the 8spd I know I really need to test drive them both!coming from a 4spd either one will probably feel like a rocket ship with some get up and go compared to the Yukon so I am not quite sure if for my purposes a 6 speed or 8 speed will suit me better it may not make much of a difference especially being I don’t live in a hilly area,tow or haul.I live more rural so there is traffic but far from city living traffic.I know a big truck like this is going to be a gas hog so if I’m worried about gas I should have no business buying a truck especially a Ram!

without going to see either one yet or driving them my first gut instinct leans me towards the 2013 I know it’s 2 years older with 14k more miles on it the silver just looks so sharp and clean.I’m not quite sure not driving either a 6spd or an 8spd if I would notice much of a difference between the two the 6 or the 8 speed either one would be a step up from my 4spd Yukon!

Other than the transmission is there anything else I may be overlooking between the 13’s & 15’s all the features look pretty much identical other than color and transmission.Though the silver one seems to have more add ons listed on It’s profile page.

Did one year have more or less problems than another?

What are some common problems with these vehicles anything I should be looking for when I go to look at them other than the normal routine inspection of under carriage engine,fluids.what may be some problem areas?

Are there common rust spots to look for where these trucks start to rust though both of these vehicles are less than 10 years old!

I know with Tahoes and Yukons they are notorious for rotting on the passenger side door rocker they rarely rust on the driver side always on the passenger only spot on my Yukon that is showing rust the rest of the vehicle is clean.

Just putting some feelers out there for some of you Ram guys as I’ve always wanted one but have never owned A Ram this is probably going to be my last rig for a bit so just wanted to do my due diligence and research.

I appreciate any input you Ram people may have positive or negative I don’t want to make any hasty decisions especially with the price of vehicles right now I need to be absolutely Sure before pulling the trigger

Thank-You
@Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
So I’m looking for a Ram truck with the way the market is any vehicle really is hard to come by nowadays.the only pickup I‘ve had was a Dakota years ago!with that being said I’m moving on from my 04 Yukon she’s still running good but the mileage is stacking up and it seems like every month or so I’m changing something else this week was the water pump my cat is on the horizon so before I start sinking more and more money into it I think it’s time to move on from her.I’ve always wanted a full size pick up and absolutely love the look of Ram trucks with their big bold stance so I’ve been looking and looking and came across two that are within my price range.

Before I get into what I found I have to say I want a truck well just to have a truck!It’s going to be my weekend vehicle really no hauling or towing to speak of unless I need to.Living in the northeast we have our share of winters where I need to drive in snow nothing like way up north but we get our snowstorms living in NY!I know A Ram is more than capable of hauling just about anything and handling some inclimate weather but it’s more of my daily driver and that’s the sole purpose not pulling or hauling it’s more to drive and enjoy.I love the look of Rams I am looking at crew cabs as I want the extra room in the second row to haul around my daughter her friends and on occasion the big goofy Shepard.

So I found two Rams if someone can chime in on Them and if you think I would notice much of a difference between the two.I’m coming from a heavy 4 speed Yukon 5.3 I have 33’s on it with 3.93 gears so I know how it drives and what kind of umphh it has.It’s a beast of a vehicle but big boxy and heavy I will tell you it handles like a beast in the snow even did some towing with her a few times easy peasy!

The two Rams I came across appear to be in very good shape from the pictures! I know I need to go see them in person but they both look to be in good shape.They are both the same $$ which vehicles are inflated right now but it is what it is I’m not overly concerned with the mileage as it’s going to be mainly my weekend driver as I use my company truck to travel to and from work

truck #1 2013 Bighorn 121k miles loaded with options Silver 5.7 6 speed it Has step bars looks very very clean well maintained car fax had a nice long history of maintenance on it.the gearing on this rig is 3.93’s same gearing that’s in my Yukon!

truck #2 2015 Bighorn 107k miles quite loaded as well no step bars though that’s something I would need to add on later Granite metallic 5.7 8speed looks pretty clean as well maybe not as well maintained as the 13 but still maintained carfax has a pretty lengthy history of maintenance as well.not sure of the gearing on this truck.

The silver is on a bigger Chain car dealer lot the gray is on a smaller used car lot not sure if this is good or bad anything you buy used you are taking a chance.You are rolling the dice a big chain dealer I may have more negotiating room possibly and support not quite sure they are both pretty local to me though so it’s not like I’m driving 5 or 6 towns away to look at vehicles!

when I compare the two the one thing sticking out is the 6spd or the 8spd I know I really need to test drive them both!coming from a 4spd either one will probably feel like a rocket ship with some get up and go compared to the Yukon so I am not quite sure if for my purposes a 6 speed or 8 speed will suit me better it may not make much of a difference especially being I don’t live in a hilly area,tow or haul.I live more rural so there is traffic but far from city living traffic.I know a big truck like this is going to be a gas hog so if I’m worried about gas I should have no business buying a truck especially a Ram!

without going to see either one yet or driving them my first gut instinct leans me towards the 2013 I know it’s 2 years older with 14k more miles on it the silver just looks so sharp and clean.I’m not quite sure not driving either a 6spd or an 8spd if I would notice much of a difference between the two the 6 or the 8 speed either one would be a step up from my 4spd Yukon!

Other than the transmission is there anything else I may be overlooking between the 13’s & 15’s all the features look pretty much identical other than color and transmission.Though the silver one seems to have more add ons listed on It’s profile page.

Did one year have more or less problems than another?

What are some common problems with these vehicles anything I should be looking for when I go to look at them other than the normal routine inspection of under carriage engine,fluids.what may be some problem areas?

Are there common rust spots to look for where these trucks start to rust though both of these vehicles are less than 10 years old!

I know with Tahoes and Yukons they are notorious for rotting on the passenger side door rocker they rarely rust on the driver side always on the passenger only spot on my Yukon that is showing rust the rest of the vehicle is clean.

Just putting some feelers out there for some of you Ram guys as I’ve always wanted one but have never owned A Ram this is probably going to be my last rig for a bit so just wanted to do my due diligence and research.

I appreciate any input you Ram people may have positive or negative I don’t want to make any hasty decisions especially with the price of vehicles right now I need to be absolutely Sure before pulling the trigger

Thank-You
I have a 2012 just under 60k on the dash. Fully upgraded I’m looking to let go. Pm me

OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
Nice lookin Rig Cummins Diesel.Good luck with it.I came across a sport in VA that my brother in law is going to go take a look at for me I know Virginia uses salt but nowhere near the amount we use up here in the Northeast.My body man’s brother lives in GA he’s going to look around down there for me rust issues are not as prevalent as they up here in the salt belt states!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice lookin Rig Cummins Diesel.Good luck with it.I came across a sport in VA that my brother in law is going to go take a look at for me I know Virginia uses salt but nowhere near the amount we use up here in the Northeast.My body man’s brother lives in GA he’s going to look around down there for me rust issues are not as prevalent as they up here in the salt belt states!
Great move looking for a southern vehicle. I live in SE Virginia and can attest that while VA and NC use road salts we have very mild winters so it’s applied maybe a half dozen times per year, then it rains and gets washed away. My 2018 was a CPO from MI and the only rust under it came from that one winter up north. Looking under my Ram in VA and my brother in law’s F150 in PA is night and day, both are 2018s.